New Sheepdog - Late Lockup?

Hi. This is my first emerson. At random intervals the lock is so late I once had to use a tool to unlock blade. Other times it locks fine. Would you say this a defect? Is there a DIY solution? (Also, do all Emerson knives have sticky somewhat painful locks?)

I hate returning knives.

Last edited:
This behavior happens. My first Sheepdog was like that too. I like to break the lock in naturally and it can take about a week or so before the lock stickiness becomes more manageable. I appreciate the initial stickiness because I rather have a blade that is difficult to close compared to the other option. It will break in, just give it some time. On my sheepdog, the lock settled in without any further issue at 50% despite initial over travelling on occasion like yours.

Sometimes it helps to clean the lock faces on both the blade and liner. Others will suggest using a sharpie or pencil graphite as a sort of dry lubricant on the blade lock face. However, I do not use sharpies/graphite on the locks for personal reasons.

The lockup will change depending on how hard it's opened or how hard you cut.

As long as the liner is still on the tang, it isn't that late. Don't get sucked into the "early lockup or it will be completely worn out by next week" mentality. These knives will settle in to their favorite spot pretty soon after breaking in, then usually stay there. They also have really loose tolerances, so you'll see some play when you use em. Personally, I like my liners to sit right in the middle of the tang.

As for the sticky thing, that's why Emerson picked titanium. Extra grip. Try the pencil or sharpie. Pay no attention to anyone who tells you lube on the lock face will cause failure. If the geometry and tension are where they are supposed to be, the lube will actually make the lock tighter.

If it ends up slipping with graphite or lube on the tang, that's actually a REALLY good thing! It immediately reveals a defective lock so you don't find out the hard way!

These knives are their own beast. Can't be compared to other brands because they simply have their own unique behavior and attitude no other brand displays. Just try to enjoy the knife!

Are you waving it open every time? All of my Emersons have locked up later after being waved (and then gone back to their usual lockup when deployed with the thumb disc).

Are you waving it open every time? All of my Emersons have locked up later after being waved (and then gone back to their usual lockup when deployed with the thumb disc).
Yeah, that's my understanding as well. Waving will often result in a "deeper" lockup. Same as really snapping open a heavy blade, or even a not so heavy blade. You can get different lock ups on most knives depending on how deployed.

My fix for this is to lighten the lockbar tension. I find all Emerson's are set hard.

All you have to do is remove the scale on the lockbar liner side and bend it back a bit. Perfect tension is where the lockbar falls back and stops just a hair shy of touching the other liner. If you go too far just bend it back and try again (full disassembly to push it back).

A little less tension and the lockbar wont press in so deep, and so it will not stick when releasing. I've done this to 20+ knives. Never had any failure or any other reason not to do it.

--

Another thing to check: is your lockbar straight or curved, and by this I mean does it look like someone curved the lockbar to allow it to meet the blade at a 'flat' angle? I've had two knives like this and couldn't figure out why it was done. After straightening the lockbar it stopped sticking as it reduced the surface area of contact, and it pulled back the lockup a bit as it changed the interface angle.

This behavior happens. My first Sheepdog was like that too. I like to break the lock in naturally and it can take about a week or so before the lock stickiness becomes more manageable. I appreciate the initial stickiness because I rather have a blade that is difficult to close compared to the other option. It will break in, just give it some time. On my sheepdog, the lock settled in without any further issue at 50% despite initial over travelling on occasion like yours.

Sometimes it helps to clean the lock faces on both the blade and liner. Others will suggest using a sharpie or pencil graphite as a sort of dry lubricant on the blade lock face. However, I do not use sharpies/graphite on the locks for personal reasons.

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

The lockup will change depending on how hard it's opened or how hard you cut.

As long as the liner is still on the tang, it isn't that late. Don't get sucked into the "early lockup or it will be completely worn out by next week" mentality. These knives will settle in to their favorite spot pretty soon after breaking in, then usually stay there. They also have really loose tolerances, so you'll see some play when you use em. Personally, I like my liners to sit right in the middle of the tang.

As for the sticky thing, that's why Emerson picked titanium. Extra grip. Try the pencil or sharpie. Pay no attention to anyone who tells you lube on the lock face will cause failure. If the geometry and tension are where they are supposed to be, the lube will actually make the lock tighter.

If it ends up slipping with graphite or lube on the tang, that's actually a REALLY good thing! It immediately reveals a defective lock so you don't find out the hard way!

These knives are their own beast. Can't be compared to other brands because they simply have their own unique behavior and attitude no other brand displays. Just try to enjoy the knife!

It is a very beautiful knife. Thanks for responding.

Hi. I tested out what you are experiencing. Mine is locking up late with the thumb stud as well. It also gets jammed and I must use my other fingers with a good deal of force to pop it back in place.

My fix for this is to lighten the lockbar tension. I find all Emerson's are set hard.

All you have to do is remove the scale on the lockbar liner side and bend it back a bit. Perfect tension is where the lockbar falls back and stops just a hair shy of touching the other liner. If you go too far just bend it back and try again (full disassembly to push it back).

A little less tension and the lockbar wont press in so deep, and so it will not stick when releasing. I've done this to 20+ knives. Never had any failure or any other reason not to do it.

--

Another thing to check: is your lockbar straight or curved, and by this I mean does it look like someone curved the lockbar to allow it to meet the blade at a 'flat' angle? I've had two knives like this and couldn't figure out why it was done. After straightening the lockbar it stopped sticking as it reduced the surface area of contact, and it pulled back the lockup a bit as it changed the interface angle.

Sounds good! I will give it a shot.

My Sheepdog had quite a bit of initial lock stick but it broke in beautifully in about a week or two of handling it. Now I can slam it open and zero lock stick. Love this damn knife.

Back