New Small Satchel

Hi everyone,

I’ve been looking around for a nice, but small bag to carry my most essential, daily carry items, which didn’t look like a women's purse ( Manly, mans possible bag ):D

I decided to order a small Satchel & just received it in the mail.

IMG_0491_zps410d38c1.jpg

First impressions; Its a little bigger than I really wanted, but its the most heavy duty bag , I’ve seen to date. And it has that rugged manly look I wanted.

I didn’t want to just toss things inside & have to blindly fish them out, or having to dump the entire contents onto a table (like in Dave's Videos)
Might get some unwanted attention..:eek:

So, I found a few lightweight bags to help organize my items.The bags were on sale at my local “ Staples Office Supply Store “.
http://www.vaultz.net/vaultz-vz0149...3-pack-assorted-1-small-1-medium-1-large.html

Here’s the items, which I always carry with me.
IMG_0487_zpsa99ea8a7.jpg

1. Small Camera ( 6 o clock )
2. Multi Tool Pliers / Aurora Fire Starter / Butane Lighter / Surefire Outdoorsman Pocket Flashlight / Extra Batteries
3. Cellphone wallet case, with one major credit card & DR Liicense / I.D. wallet.
4. Small Change Purse with extra Cash, along with the rest of my misc.cards : AAA, Medical Card , Membership Cards, REI , Vons , Cosco, etc.
5. Knives: Cold Steel Neck Knife / Kershaw Pocket Folder
6. Firearms: S&W & Holster, with extra Mags

Packed inside of the bags.
IMG_0488_zpsf64789d2.jpg

Inside look of the Satchel divider.
IMG_0495_zps03b9242c.jpg

Individual bags placed inside dividers.
IMG_0497_zps8e59f3bd.jpg

The Satchel had a long leather strap attached inside (laynard), with a chrome latch.
IMG_0498_zps77b74c0f.jpg

This was very convenient (laynard) to attach my keys, & case (Cellphone & I.D.) inside the bag, for quick grab & retrieval.
IMG_0501_zpsd5feddb9.jpg

I’ll use the side two outer pockets to carry my Sure Fire Flashlight & my Cellphone case with Divers License. I personally don't like carrying bulky items, inside my pant pockets anymore.
IMG_0498_zps77b74c0f.jpg

The inner pockets will be used for my folding pocket knife (when not in my pocket) & Pen.
IMG_0500_zpsce7497ff.jpg

Since, I can legally carry a Concealed firearm, I had a fleeting thought of trying to secure everything stored inside my Satchel.There are a few times, when I'm not physically in control : Showering..:eek:
IMG_0510_zpsa1ff771b.jpg

I had a “ Gun Cable Lock “ laying around the house, and ran both cables thru the front buckle & one thru the top metal ring. It’s not fool proof, but it will keep the petty thieves / opportunist (+ kids), out of my bag. A small ring stiched under their logo, or just above the buckle might work better for a small luggage padlock ..?

Just sharing my experience !

Last edited:
Nice looking set up with. Those bags look pretty handy to organize everything.

Hey everyone,

First off, I've seen posting with fireams on other threads.. Hopefully it's politically correct to do so here ...?

I spent most of today coaching a " Smallbore Match " , for a local " Boys Scout Troop ", trying to earn their " Boy Scout Shooting Merit Badges ". A few of the parents watching were un-familar themselves with the shooting activities.

So I set-up a table and bench rest , along with a bit of basic instructions for a few parents.
IMG_0511_zpsea19cd18.jpg

After they were through for the day, I decided to try a few rounds myself, using my Satchel as a front bag rest.
IMG_0518_edited-1_zps08e23c8e.jpg

HMMMM, had another thought, & used the shoulder strap for a make-shift Rifle sling.
IMG_0514_zps2b216733.jpg

Just sharing my field experience, using my " Small Satchel ".:)

Last edited:
He everyone,

Today's Satchel Travels: The wife & I decided to explore the " Grand Bazaar ", and for those of you financially challenged (Like me), this translates into " My Local Swapmeet ". My wife snapped a few photos,as I inspected a few item of antiquities ("Second hand" items) :rolleyes:
IMG_0519_edited-1_zpsc9c5f2c7.jpg

I'm somewhat of a "Connoisseur & Collector" of fine antiques,, (" Used & Hand me down" items). I was able to carry some of the wife's smaller bargain finds in my roomy satchel. :eek:
IMG_0523_zps208932f0.jpg

After a bit of haggling over a price, I was able to negotiate down to a reasonable sum, on a small gem, which will add to my "Cast Iron" gallery of collection.
IMG_0541_edited-1_zps955f821c.jpg

IMG_0539_edited-1_zps57f6968e.jpg

IMG_0540_edited-1_zps676b103e.jpg

IMG_0546_edited-1_zps43f7fcb9.jpg

After a long exhaustive day of fighting thru the bazaar crowds, the wife and I decided to drop by our local "Cantina".. to clear the dust from our throats.
IMG_0538_edited-1_zps65b8fdf9.jpg

My favorite & traditionally considered in some circles , as "The Breakfast of Champions" (preferrable for some with hangovers) .. "MENUDO" , or Tripe soup, for those of you non worldy travelers :eek:
IMG_0525_zps73dd71a6.jpg

Just sharing my field experience, with my " Small Satchel " in tow :cool:

Last edited:
Well, to be perfectly honest .. I was recently watching a movie ( Enemy at the Gates ) , and was inspired to haul out one of my " Remington 513T w/ a period 4x Scope ", to play with.

BRRC Life Member.

Last edited:
I've never been a fan of carrying my firearm in something like this. Ditto for fanny bags, backpacks, etc. Often they become the object of a robbery, just as does a woman's purse, and then you've lost your gun. I prefer belt or pocket carry, depending on the gun. I like your system for carrying the rest of your stuff tho. I use a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack for these items. Your stachel is much more refined.

Well, I don't always carry my " Handgun "( See Holster & Mag ) in my bag. It all depends on " Where I'm at & What I'm wearing " that particular day; Shorts & T-Shirts, as an example.

I've been there, & done that (30 + years): Shoulder Holsters/Pocket Holsters;Sitting on my back-up/Ankle Holster/ & Fanny Packs are the worst; " Everybody Knows your the PO,PO ". The very,very noticeable bulge from a holster, many times just brings on unwanted attention, which leads to " Eyeballing & Staredowns " :eek:

I'm also a pretty decent " Grappler " ( High School / College Wrestling ) which gives me a slight advantage, over and above, the average " Female Purse Snatch Vict ".

Anybody trying to snatch that bag, would have to carry my " 225 Lbs " with them. Those leather shoulder straps are " Heavy Duty".
IMG_0525_zps73dd71a6.jpg

That bag was purposely put on the counter, for a staged " Photo " example.

It's normally in carry mode,... anchored to a " 225 lbs " Manly , Man :D
IMG_0519_edited-1_zpsc9c5f2c7.jpg

Just my two cents.

p.s: I was looking at these bag, as a comparison: 5.11 Covert
http://www.511tactical.com/conceale...3&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=covertBags_13

Last edited:
Well, I don't always carry my " Handgun "( See Holster & Mag ) in my bag. It all depends on " Where I'm at & What I'm wearing " that particular day; Shorts & T-Shirts, as an example.

I've been there, & done that (30 + years): Shoulder Holsters/Pocket Holsters;Sitting on my back-up/Ankle Holster/ & Fanny Packs are the worst; " Everybody Knows your the PO,PO ". The very,very noticeable bulge from a holster, many times just brings on unwanted attention, which leads to " Eyeballing & Staredowns "

I've been carrying a concealed firearm for nearly 40 years. The only time that I've ever been "made" was when I was carrying in a fanny pack. I stopped.

I'm also a pretty decent " Grappler " ( High School / College Wrestling ) which gives me a slight advantage, over and above, the average " Female Purse Snatch Vict ".

Anybody trying to snatch that bag, would have to carry my " 225 Lbs " with them. Those leather shoulder straps are " Heavy Duty".

I said nothing of "snatching." I said, " Often they become the object of a robbery, just as does a woman's purse, and then you've lost your gun." This is where a guy points a gun at you and says, "Give me the bag." Then you have a choice: Either you give him the bag, which contains your gun or you don't. If you're wearing the gun on your body, in a holster or pocket, you give him the bag and you still have your gun. Grappling skills have little to do with that situation. You might be the best grappler on the planet, but it's not going to do you much good when your assailant is 4' away and has a gun on you.

That bag was purposely put on the counter, for a staged " Photo " example.

If the snatch had occurred at the moment of "stag[ing the] photo" you'd have lost your gun with the bag. We know you’re a good grappler, but at 225 lbs how good a "chaser and catcher" are you?

If the snatch had occurred at the moment of "stag[ing the] photo" you'd have lost your gun with the bag. We know you’re a good grappler, but at 225 lbs how good a "chaser and catcher" are you?

Again, your assuming my " Pistol " was inside the bag .. ? :foot:

However, I'll admit it .. My pistol is stored inside of my bag, while at home.. Oh no , I'm now losing sleep over a home invasion robbery :eek:

Now lets face some facts; Anybody can have their pistol taken from them, period.
There have been several well documented examples of Officers in full uniform, off duty Ofcr's ( & average Joe's ), having their guns taken and shot. No guarantees in life :eek:

The " Satchel " was a bag I purchased, after examining several others, which would fit my individual needs :cool:
I never stated it was the best tactical / practical, or only method / options to carry a handgun.

Keep doing whatever makes your boat float. If it makes you feel safer ..?

I'm not getting into any debates over " TACTICS " or " What If's ", with anyone.:confused:

Lets keep our discussion on topic: The multi-purpose " NEW SMALL SATCHEL "

P.S: I also considered the " 5.11 Covert Bag ".
http://www.511tactical.com/conceale...3&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=covertBags_13

Last edited:
Again, your assuming my " Pistol " was inside the bag ..

When you show us a photo of your gun inside the bag, it's reasonable to assume that's where you carry it, at least occasionally.

However, I'll admit it .. My pistol is stored inside of my bag, while at home.. Oh no , I'm now losing sleep over a home invasion robbery

I doubt that this is as much a worry as being robbed while in public.

Now lets face some facts; Anybody can have their pistol taken from them, period.
There have been several well documented examples of Officers in full uniform, off duty Ofcr's ( & average Joe's ), having their guns taken and shot. No guarantees in life

Can you show us any "well documented examples of" people carrying concealed who have had "their guns taken and shot?" I think you'll find that it's much rarer, perhaps not documented at all. There may be some taken while grappling for control of the gun but we know that's not a concern for you.

The " Satchel " was a bag I purchased, after examining several others, which would fit my individual needs
I never stated it was the best tactical / practical, or only method / options to carry a handgun.

I never attributed such statement to you. But when you showed us a photo with your gun in the bag, again, it's reasonable to assume, that's how you intended to carry it, at least occasionally.

Keep doing whatever makes your boat float. If it makes you feel safer ..?

I will. And when I see someone post what I consider to be a less safe option, I'll comment on it.

I'm not getting into any debates over " TACTICS " or " What If's ", with anyone.

I think you DID do this when you told us what a "good grappler" you are and how safe you are from a "satchel snatch."

Lets keep our discussion on topic: The multi-purpose " NEW SMALL SATCHEL "

I doubt that there is a topic on this forum that has not been subject to some "drift." People should expect this.

I like the satchel. I think it's quite good looking and functional. I just don't think that it's a good idea for anyone to carry their gun in one. I don't think that any of the other bags you considered are nearly as elegant as the one you chose.

I've tried to keep my response's very general, as some folks will read into everything & start the never ending " WHAT IF''S "..

I respect " YOUR EXPERT OPINIONS ".. You had your say.

I'm just trying to have a little " FUN " , with my " NEW TOY "...!

Now, can we please move on ... :confused:

Last edited:
Todays Satchel Journey's :

I was running a few errands today, & was stopped by a familar face ... HMMMM ?

He say's to me " Thats a Bad Asssss Manly Satchel! You don't mind if I take a look at it ? "

I say no problem, " IF " you don't mind me taking a few photos.

We agree !
IMG_0559_zps71842c2e.jpg

IMG_0557_zpsf14c199d.jpg

For the Record : Just so nobody thinks I'm trying to promote myself :rolleyes:

I've been called a " PERRO " for many,many years by my " EX-WIFE ".. And was widely known within my circle as thee " JUNKYARD PERRO " :D

Last edited:
It's your sandbox,, I'll go play somewhere else.:rolleyes:

I have tooooo many others hobbies, to continue " Sparring Words Games " nonnsense.:confused:

I'm going Fishing :cool:

Last edited:
Back