New SNG and Hamburger Thumbs.

Kimber -- that's the idea! :)

All -- After about 250 cycles, my Gen 4 (w/ Bull Pivot) has already loosened up to the level of my Gen 1. Time to give it a clean and re-lube, and it's GtG for EDC!

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Dudes, thanks for the pencil trick defiinition.

What tools are you using to open up a generation 4 knife and what are you using to clean and lube it?

Originally posted by Boink
Dudes, thanks for the pencil trick defiinition.

What tools are you using to open up a generation 4 knife and what are you using to clean and lube it?

By open you mean dissasemble i assume. The sng is the king of simplicity when it comes to folding knives. It seem like mick was aiming for a knife that is a snap to assemble and dissasemble. It only needs one L7 hex wrench, Maby two if your pivot is real tight and need to be "broke" lose. As for cleaning and lubing i use Rem oil through out. Might work smoother with other lubes but havent tried any besides the Rem. Hope this helps :)

Originally posted by LordChunkyFat
By open you mean dissasemble i assume. The sng is the king of simplicity when it comes to folding knives. It seem like mick was aiming for a knife that is a snap to assemble and dissasemble. It only needs one L7 hex wrench, Maby two if your pivot is real tight and need to be "broke" lose. As for cleaning and lubing i use Rem oil through out. Might work smoother with other lubes but havent tried any besides the Rem. Hope this helps :)

When using two wrenches, do you mean to put them on both sides of the pivot and work them at the same time to bust it loose if it's too tight?

Is Rem oil a gun oil? Do you clean off all the old pivot grease and then put the new stuff onto it?

How about CRK flourinated grease?

thanks

About the pivot, Yes one wrench for each side if it is tight. Mine didnt not come with "grease" But i did get mine second hand. Like i said i have not tried any other lubes yet. CRK would be good, in fact i should probably try it!

LordChunckyFat - is yours the generation 4 with the AR style pivot hardware? That's the one I have and that I am wondering about as to disassembly.

HMM i have the normal pivot alas! I seem to forget aobut the diffrence. Never had a AR or AR pivot. Sorry

Anybody replace the clip on the SnG? I just don't like it. Benchmade clips and Spydie clips are much better. In fact, I'm looking to sell my new SnG if I can't get a better clip.

What I mean is that the Spydie and Benchmade have the perfect combination of "grip" balanced with the ability to draw the knife with a reasonable tug. The SnG clip is either way too tight, or if I bend it, too loose.

Originally posted by Bellamy17
Anybody replace the clip on the SnG? I just don't like it. Benchmade clips and Spydie clips are much better. In fact, I'm looking to sell my new SnG if I can't get a better clip.

What I mean is that the Spydie and Benchmade have the perfect combination of "grip" balanced with the ability to draw the knife with a reasonable tug. The SnG clip is either way too tight, or if I bend it, too loose.

Talk to mick about it, give them a call. he can either send you a diffrent clip or he will tweak it for you.

Striders clips are thick making them stiff...have not tried it but seems like if you remove a little stock from the clip (simular to how the lock has "grooves" cut into it so it can be bent over) it will not be as stiff.

From what I remember the original suggestion from Strider Knives was to whack the crap out of the SnG and it would loosen up. I did, and mine did.

The clip on mine was tight too. I pulled it out a little bit and it's been fine.

I'd much rather loosen up a tight knife than tighten a loose one.

You'll need a "spanner wrench" to disassemble the Bull Pivot -- basicaly, it's a "large" flat-head screwdriver cut so that there are two flat "prongs," with the middle recessed.

This allows you to grab the non-hex/Allen side of the pivot.

:)

Well, after 700 cycles and a MilTec1 treatment (with heat) on the Gen 4, I've found that for some reason, it simply just refuses to "hole-drop"/"brownie-pop"/etc., the friction on the pivot increases as it rotates open into lock, eventually stopping the travel arc until just before it locks.

However, flicking the blade open (after a little help disengaging the detent) is both smooth and easy, and better than in my Gen. 1.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Thanks for the info, DumboRat - fwiw - I did not use any added lube while working in the 4th Gen SnG, which eventually got nice and smooth throughout it's full arc.

I have found what you experienced on other knives using Tuff-Glide - which I have stopped using. Things seemed to get gunkier. Maybe others have had better luck with this product.

Back