New Spyderco Salt 2 - RIT Dip

Looking forward to getting my new Spyderco Salt 2. I almost bought the all black fully serrated model just because I couldn’t stomach that yellow handle.

And then I started reading through a bunch of posts on this forum and found out about the magic of RIT dyes.

Ended up ordering the yellow fully serrated model from Blade Hq. I think it’s coming in on Monday.

Gonna give that RIT dye a shot. I’m pretty partial to orange and I think it’s going to help the knife stand out when I have it out on my SUP or on one of the many fishing trips I go on. I also like gray but I think I’m going with orange for now and I can always try to dye it gray later on.

I’ll post pixs of how the knife turns out once I get done with that dye job.

One quick question while I’m at it. Is there any real difference between the powdered dye pack or the dye that comes bottled? Was just wondering if one’s maybe slightly easier to work with than the other. Most of the posts I’ve read seem to talk about using the powdered packet with some water and vinegar added. Thanks.

I've only used the bottled but I've used it a lot. Works great on frn.

U9EimDd.jpg

So this is what I came out with. For whatever it’s worth to anyone else, here’s the process I used.

I boiled 2 cups of water, poured that into a mason jar, added a full bottle of tangerine RIT dye and about 1/3 cup of distilled white vinegar.

I soaked the salt 2 in that mixture for about an hour and fifteen minutes, stirring about every 5-10 minutes.

I’m pretty happy with what I ended up with. But it’s interesting. You can see that there’s sort of a fade happening. It’s a much stronger and darker orange closer to the blade and lighter down the handle.

That fade seems more noticeable on that side than the other. I'm not sure why, I scrubbed the knife with dish soap before dropping it into the dye and used rubber gloves throughout the whole time.

It doesn't bother me, it's a really nice looking orange. I'll stick with that for a bit. I have a SOG folder that's dark gray and it takes me quite some time to find where I last put it sometimes! :)

0YcAbCT.jpg

2BqTe5O

https://imgur.com/a/2BqTe5O

Last edited:
It seems like I don't have the "add media" part down right. I just signed up for an imgur account and I'm not sure why the link to my picture appears instead of the picture itself.

Never mind. Needed to use the BBC code.

Last edited:
You can always go for another dip if you want to even it out. Also helps to keep it on the heat (simmering) while you dip.

Yeah, thanks, kniferbro. I might have to dip it again regardless. I took the clip off today because I am probably more of a pocket carrier than anything else and that exposed a patch of yellow. Didn’t really look too good!

Thanks cabfrank. I had that jar of dye hanging around so I decided to do one last fast dip before putting it away. Did about a 30 min dip to take care of that yellow patch. The color's even now and a really nice and strong orange.

The knife feels a lot different without the clip on it now. It's a really great feeling knife but it feels a lot thinner now and it's sort of like the clip helped me have a more secure grip on the knife. I'm not sure if I'll go back to the clip though since I think it's just going to catch on whatever else I might have in my pocket.

I really like this knife and I think I might eventually want to get a delica 4 with the flat ground blade for when I'm not around the salt.

x1ytuz9.jpg

Thanks cabfrank. I had that jar of dye hanging around so I decided to do one last fast dip before putting it away. Did about a 30 min dip to take care of that yellow patch. The color's even now and a really nice and strong orange.

The knife feels a lot different without the clip on it now. It's a really great feeling knife but it feels a lot thinner now and it's sort of like the clip helped me have a more secure grip on the knife. I'm not sure if I'll go back to the clip though since I think it's just going to catch on whatever else I might have in my pocket.

I really like this knife and I think I might eventually want to get a delica 4 with the flat ground blade for when I'm not around the salt.

x1ytuz9.jpg
Nice write up, thanks for the details!

I just ordered the exact same knife and was wondering about the dye process with FRN. Does the dye completely obscure the underlying yellow, or is the result a combo of the dye and yellow? For instance if so used blue dye will I get blue or green (y+b)?

This is my first serrated and first H1 Spyderco so hoping it lives up to the accolades. Almost went with a Pacific Salt but thought I would try the smaller one first.

If you use blue dye, you will likely get some shade of green.

The orange looks even better now, great job! I've taken clips off for a while before too. I usually wind up putting them back on though.

Back