BKT-125.jpg

BKT-126.jpg

BKT-127.jpg

BKT-128.jpg

BKT-129.jpg

BKT-130.jpg

BKT-140.jpg

Moose

Mmmm...lovin' the MK-1. The stacked leather looks awesome. It's timeless in appearance, and judging by the above photos, looks to be quite a capable user!!

Last edited:
What are the sheaths like? Judging by the photo on Tomars Kabar's site the black one looks like it might use the same sheath as the Short Kabar.

What are the sheaths like? Judging by the photo on Tomars Kabar's site the black one looks like it might use the same sheath as the Short Kabar.

You are correct. Bulk buys for sheaths. They look good though.

Moose

The 2011 kabar catalog says that the leather handle version is a "Blue ridge knives exclusive". What does that mean?

The 2011 kabar catalog says that the leather handle version is a "Blue ridge knives exclusive". What does that mean?

Blue Ridge is a distributor, dealers that buy from them, will be able to get the stacked leather, me thinks.

Moose

Does anyone know the model numbers for the leather handle versions?

Tomars website shows the model numbers for the rubber handle versions, #2222 for serrated and #2221 for plain edge. It's sometimes good to search my model number on the web to find out who has them.

Thanks,

:confused: Hey, Ethan I have a question for you. I noticed the oal of the new Mark I and was wondering this. Are the Mark Is' a full size Ka Bar in a shorter length or are they 3/4 size like the short Ka Bars? I have both full size Ka Bars and short Ka Bars. I don't like the feel of the 3/4 size KaBars. If the new Mark Is' are full size, only shorter, I will definitely add one of each to my collection. Thanks Ethan(or anybody that has seen the Mark I) for your time and your reply on this issue. :D

:confused: Hey, Ethan I have a question for you. I noticed the oal of the new Mark I and was wondering this. Are the Mark Is' a full size Ka Bar in a shorter length or are they 3/4 size like the short Ka Bars? I have both full size Ka Bars and short Ka Bars. I don't like the feel of the 3/4 size KaBars. If the new Mark Is' are full size, only shorter, I will definitely add one of each to my collection. Thanks Ethan(or anybody that has seen the Mark I) for your time and your reply on this issue. :D

I was wondering the same thing but based on the spec's on Tomar's website this new knife has a smaller handle than the full size Kabar.

Full size USMC Kabar, 7" blade and OAL of 11.875" = handle length of 4.88"
Short Kabar, 5.25" blade and OAL of 9.25" = handle length of 4"
Mark 1, 5.125" blade and OAL of 9.188" = handle length of 4.06"

A brand new, totally different creature, here lads. The only reason why it didn't get a new sheath, is that it fits in the 3/4 sheath just fine. Trust me, this is a new design all the way, and ya'll will love it.

Moose

A brand new, totally different creature, here lads. The only reason why it didn't get a new sheath, is that it fits in the 3/4 sheath just fine. Trust me, this is a new design all the way, and ya'll will love it.

Moose

Moose, do you know the model number for the leather handle/plain edge version of this knife?

Thanks,

Moose, do you know the model number for the leather handle/plain edge version of this knife?

Thanks,

#2225 Plain Blade
#2226 Partial Serrated

Both leather. I'm working on something too, be patient, ya'll might really like this too.

Moose

#2225 Plain Blade
#2226 Partial Serrated

Both leather. I'm working on something too, be patient, ya'll might really like this too.

Moose

Be patient, too late! I just pre-ordered a black one from Tomar's.

Do you work for Kabar?

Nope. Just a friendly sub forum moderator. Kinda.

Moose

Cool. So what are you working on?

The Kabar I would like looks like this:

I would like a Kabar knife with the same leather handle as the USMC knife but with a blade similar to this new MKII. I'd chop off the top portion of the guard and make it flush with the top of the blade and reduce the choil to bring the cutting edge closer to the hilt. I'd put a bit thinner edge on it to make it good for wood cutting but not so much that it's delicate. Then I'd make a plastic scabbard and use my invention for locking the knife into scabbard.

Cool. So what are you working on?

The Kabar I would like looks like this:

I would like a Kabar knife with the same leather handle as the USMC knife but with a blade similar to this new MKII. I'd chop off the top portion of the guard and make it flush with the top of the blade and reduce the choil to bring the cutting edge closer to the hilt. I'd put a bit thinner edge on it to make it good for wood cutting but not so much that it's delicate. Then I'd make a plastic scabbard and use my invention for locking the knife into scabbard.

Oh, not a design, that is for other folks. I do contests, giveaways, and passarounds here, for BKT and soon, Kabar I hope.:D:thumbup:

Moose

Thanks for those pics Moose.

This knife has been dominating my thoughts since I've seen it. That stacked leather will be mine for sure.

Back