1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New sword

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by Phillip Patton, Jul 11, 2019 at 4:56 PM.

1. Phillip Patton

Phillip Patton KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 25, 2005
    I started this one a few years ago, and haven't had much to do this week, so I decided to finish it. Sadly, I can't sell it, because there is a small crack in the steel, but it was good practice.

I think the blade is O1/L6 steel. Double core of alternating twisted and straight sections, with higher layer count random for the edge wrap. The upper and lower guards are black G10 between layers of titanium, epoxied together and also pinned with silver wire. The grip is micarta, and the pommel is stainless.

The blade is 19.5", total length is 24.5"

071119-1.jpg
    071119-2.jpg
    071119-3.jpg
    071119-4.jpg

2. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    I like the looks of it. Too bad about the flaw. It must be small or hidden as I can't see a crack anywhere.

Any way you could sell it as a "wall hanger only"?

JJHollowman likes this.
  3. horseclover

horseclover Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 21, 2000
    An interesting atypical approach to the grind and fittings but I see a lot of clean effort in the execution. I am drawn in remembering/knowing Kevin Cashen migration and viking like work from long ago. Your use of modern materials in no way detracts from a very cool end result.
    Quartet bottm.jpg Quartet top.jpg

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers
    GC

JJHollowman likes this.
  4. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    I love the blade.

JJHollowman likes this.
  5. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Super cool!

Too bad about the crack. I have a large dha blade that was almost completely finished, until I saw the a tiny, feint crack, right at the sweet spot in the blade. After grinding very deeply into it, turns out the crack runs all the way through the thickness of the blade in an S shape! So it just sits on the rack until it gets cut down one of these days.

WValtakis and JJHollowman like this.
  6. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    That's still an Awesome looking sword Phillip.

Doug

JJHollowman likes this.
  7. JJHollowman

JJHollowman

Jul 16, 2016
    It's gorgeous. If there's a flaw it must be tiny. Love the classic lines with modern fixtures, it looks amazing. If that's an example of a bad one I can't wait to see what you consider top notch!

8. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    That's a very nice sword. Can anything be salvaged from it?

n2s

9. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    I remember when the Viking with the inlaid cross (or one very like it) was posted on Swordforum. I remember thinking it was the most amazing sword I had ever seen. It's still a beautiful piece but no longer the most amazing piece I've ever seen. The devil is in the details...

10. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Where is the crack?????

Base? Further out?

Real shame to see such a well executed piece languish.

Maybe make a display put it up in the shop?

11. horseclover

horseclover Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 21, 2000
    The happy papa of those Cashen swords attended a few get togethers and they are amazing in person. The bollock dirk is a Vince Evans.

Baby is a looker
    Cook and Cash 013.jpg

The longer of the patterned vikings was named Bencheater. One, or both of those was in the Blade magazine. The leaf blade is outlined in a long thread there at SFI
    http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showt...h-secrets-revealed!-(Finished-Pictures-added)

Cook and Cash 012.jpg Quarhilts.jpg

The plain migration sword (L6) was done up for cutting, to give the pretties a rest. Jay Barron later commissioned a pattern welded version of that one.

Anyway, the Patton sword definitely takes me back to younger years.

Cheers
    GC

JJHollowman and d762nato like this.