New sword

Phillip Patton

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I started this one a few years ago, and haven't had much to do this week, so I decided to finish it. Sadly, I can't sell it, because there is a small crack in the steel, but it was good practice.

I think the blade is O1/L6 steel. Double core of alternating twisted and straight sections, with higher layer count random for the edge wrap. The upper and lower guards are black G10 between layers of titanium, epoxied together and also pinned with silver wire. The grip is micarta, and the pommel is stainless.

The blade is 19.5", total length is 24.5"

071119-1.jpg
071119-2.jpg
071119-3.jpg
071119-4.jpg

I like the looks of it. Too bad about the flaw. It must be small or hidden as I can't see a crack anywhere.

Any way you could sell it as a "wall hanger only"?

An interesting atypical approach to the grind and fittings but I see a lot of clean effort in the execution. I am drawn in remembering/knowing Kevin Cashen migration and viking like work from long ago. Your use of modern materials in no way detracts from a very cool end result.
Quartet bottm.jpg Quartet top.jpg

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers
GC

Super cool!

Too bad about the crack. I have a large dha blade that was almost completely finished, until I saw the a tiny, feint crack, right at the sweet spot in the blade. After grinding very deeply into it, turns out the crack runs all the way through the thickness of the blade in an S shape! So it just sits on the rack until it gets cut down one of these days.

It's gorgeous. If there's a flaw it must be tiny. Love the classic lines with modern fixtures, it looks amazing. If that's an example of a bad one I can't wait to see what you consider top notch!

That's a very nice sword. Can anything be salvaged from it?

n2s

An interesting atypical approach to the grind and fittings but I see a lot of clean effort in the execution. I am drawn in remembering/knowing Kevin Cashen migration and viking like work from long ago. Your use of modern materials in no way detracts from a very cool end result.
View attachment 1159679 View attachment 1159680

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers
GC

I remember when the Viking with the inlaid cross (or one very like it) was posted on Swordforum. I remember thinking it was the most amazing sword I had ever seen. It's still a beautiful piece but no longer the most amazing piece I've ever seen. The devil is in the details...

Where is the crack?????

Base? Further out?

Real shame to see such a well executed piece languish.

Maybe make a display put it up in the shop?

The happy papa of those Cashen swords attended a few get togethers and they are amazing in person. The bollock dirk is a Vince Evans.

Baby is a looker
Cook and Cash 013.jpg

The longer of the patterned vikings was named Bencheater. One, or both of those was in the Blade magazine. The leaf blade is outlined in a long thread there at SFI
http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showt...h-secrets-revealed!-(Finished-Pictures-added)

Cook and Cash 012.jpg Quarhilts.jpg

The plain migration sword (L6) was done up for cutting, to give the pretties a rest. Jay Barron later commissioned a pattern welded version of that one.

Anyway, the Patton sword definitely takes me back to younger years.

Cheers
GC

Back