New tilting 2x42

Good review and thanks. I'll be looking forward to when you actually get to do some grinding. I'm VErY impressed how slow it will go. For sure much slower than the 1900 SFPM belt speed in the specs. That looks slow enough. You didn't by chance try to do any grinding at that slow speed to see how much power it had?

The more ya'll talk about this grinder the more I'd LOVE to order one. If the shipping were a bit less - now it's on sale for $270 but with the $70 shipping that makes $340 shipped? Still a good deal it seems. I wonder just how much problem it would be to mod it a bit to take 2X48" belts? Since tru-Grit has 50 different 2X42" belts but 74 of the 2X48" belts that's pretty good. Pop's only carries the 2X48" belts.

I'd sure love to order one - and would "IF" I could figure out a "need" - other than scratching a "want it" itch {g}

I haven’t played with it much yet, but I fed it a piece of african blackwood, and ground some mild steel last night with it.

It ate the blackwood without breaking a sweat which is great since that will be its main use for me. I was able to bog it down pretty easily with steel. At the amp/hp rating, that’s not surprising considering I can bog down my 1.75hp grinder when I really try though.

I’d probably recommend using zirconia belts for steel with one of these. I don’t think you’d be able to apply enough pressure with ceramics to prevent glazing the belt.

I haven’t played with it much yet, but I fed it a piece of african blackwood, and ground some mild steel last night with it.

It ate the blackwood without breaking a sweat which is great since that will be its main use for me. I was able to bog it down pretty easily with steel. At the amp/hp rating, that’s not surprising considering I can bog down my 1.75hp grinder when I really try though.

I’d probably recommend using zirconia belts for steel with one of these. I don’t think you’d be able to apply enough pressure with ceramics to prevent glazing the belt.
Are you saying you think that the pressure needed to keep the ceramic belt from heating too much would overpower the grinder? Couldn't you just lower the speed to help balance it?

I've also heard of using a grease stick on the belt, but I know nothing about it.

Are you saying you think that the pressure needed to keep the ceramic belt from heating too much would overpower the grinder? Couldn't you just lower the speed to help balance it?

I've also heard of using a grease stick on the belt, but I know nothing about it.

I don’t think you would be able to apply enough pressure with ceramic belts to fracture the ceramic and expose new cutting edges. It doesn’t take a whole lot to bog the machine down. Without enough pressure with ceramics, they glaze pretty easily in my limited experience.

I don’t think you would be able to apply enough pressure with ceramic belts to fracture the ceramic and expose new cutting edges. It doesn’t take a whole lot to bog the machine down. Without enough pressure with ceramics, they glaze pretty easily in my limited experience.
That's something that has never occurred to me. The 2x48 multitool on a variable speed 8" grinder hogs metal better than the grizzly but it's only .25hp stronger but it runs way faster. I wonder if the speed of the multi tool makes it break the ceramic and the grizzly can't? Never even thought about that possibility. I'll swap the belt on the grizzly to the multi tool tomorrow then put it back on the grizzly and see if it works better.

Glass Platen So I installed the glass platen from Little Bear Knives on it and that allowed me to shift the glass slightly to the right so that when I track the belt off the left side of the platen the belt doesn't hit the frame. In hindsight I probably will just get a 2x72 D Bracket and run the 2x48 belts on it but since I already have some 2x42 belts this will work in the meantime.

Glass Platen So I installed the glass platen from Little Bear Knives on it and that allowed me to shift the glass slightly to the right so that when I track the belt off the left side of the platen the belt doesn't hit the frame. In hindsight I probably will just get a 2x72 D Bracket and run the 2x48 belts on it but since I already have some 2x42 belts this will work in the meantime.
Little radius here is good thing , I can t see on picture if you done that ?

sxSpslS.jpg

Little radius here is good thing , I can t see on picture if you done that ?

sxSpslS.jpg
Personally I don't like any radius on the edge of my platen.... That way I can keep the plunges crispy 😄

But I will add... Rubber platen wheels are a must for me. I wear down aluminum idler wheels quick lol

Personally I don't like any radius on the edge of my platen.... That way I can keep the plunges crispy 😄

But I will add... Rubber platen wheels are a must for me. I wear down aluminum idler wheels quick lol
I was thinking on very small radius , just to sand sharp edges of glass so when we move belt on sides glass wont cut in belt . *Little radius* was probably are not good words ... :) chamfer the edge ?

I was thinking on very small radius , just to sand sharp edges of glass so when we move belt on sides glass wont cut in belt . *Little radius* was probably are not good words ... :) chamfer the edge ?
Ahhh yep that is a good idea 👍

Both wheels?

I just ordered one of these grinders. I'm really excited to try it. I have plans drawn out for a few knives I have really wanted to make. Now...just gotta wait.

I'll be keeping my eye out for upgrades everyone else is doing though.

2x48 1085 hardened platen after removing that crappy tape. Obm 4" tracking and 2" contact wheels. Probably go to that full size platen in future that has 4" and 2" contact wheels and turn this one into slack belt. This is ok for now. Tracks way better and runs on the new platen for plunge lines fine.

Origin blade maker. I think they are kind of a bad word around here. They were the price I was willing to spend for some test project that may or may not work well.
So the ID of the wheel bearings is the same as on a 2x72?! (1/2")

Those are awesome mods 👍

So the ID of the wheel bearings is the same as on a 2x72?! (1/2")

Those are awesome mods 👍
Oh definitely not. The wheels that come with it are like m11. They are actually not the worst it's put together well. If you took it apart and put higher rated bearing on it they would be pretty slick. I drilled and tapped the original holes to 1/2x13 and used bolts with 2.25" shoulders w/ small washers up against the bearing ID race and then a bigger washer backing that up n both sides. Then I used a string with weights on both ends and shimmed out the drive wheel untill the middle met the other wheels. It's not hard to pull off. Then for the platen I peined brass pins into 2"x1/8 1085 to bring the platen out far enough to cover the larger wheel size.

Maybe a nice dedicated sharpening grinder??

Back