New to Beckers and Blade Forum

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone. I did a lot of research on which knife I wanted and decided on the BK9. This thing is a brute. The sheath is ok, but that rattle drives me nuts. The grivory grips are ok as well. So my question to all of you Becker fans is, who makes custom grips for these knives? I have tried the search feature within this forum and have not found anything. Also would it be a bad idea to put some soft foam in the bottom of the sheath to keep it from rattling? Perhaps you could put some oil or some kind of rust inhibitor on the foam as well. What say you?

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone. I did a lot of research on which knife I wanted and decided on the BK9. This thing is a brute. The sheath is ok, but that rattle drives me nuts. The grivory grips are ok as well. So my question to all of you Becker fans is, who makes custom grips for these knives? I have tried the search feature within this forum and have not found anything. Also would it be a bad idea to put some soft foam in the bottom of the sheath to keep it from rattling? Perhaps you could put some oil or some kind of rust inhibitor on the foam as well. What say you?

Hi, A3Middie, and welcome aboard.

I can't give you any advise on the sheath, because I never had that problem.

As far as the grips, you can get the micarta grips (made by KA-BAR) at Tomar's and a number of other places.

Others may have some ideas about the sheath.

Again, welcome aboard.

Welcome to BF. :)

You could probably solve the rattle with a piece of foam. People have used that idea with sword canes.

Welcome to BF. :)

You could probably solve the rattle with a piece of foam. People have used that idea with sword canes.

I just had a piece of cardboard in mine — didn't work out as well as it might have.:D

A couple of other people have had this problem, but I don't remember what they did about it.

I don't have the BK9, but my BK7 rattles something fierce in the original sheath. A small piece of foam will probably do the trick. I solved my rattle problem by ordering a leather sheath...but I'm goofy like that.

Oh and BTW, welcome to the Becker Forum!!

An old piece of denim from jeans, or something like that, wadded or folded up, and pushed into the sheath can solve the rattle nicely. About 3x3 inches or so.

Thanks for the replies, I did put some foam in there and it worked pretty good. I have seen the micarta grips offered by KA-Bar, how about any other colors? Is there anyone who makes wood or G-10 grips for the Beckers?

Thanks, to all. No other grips other than the ones offered by KA-BAR? Not that there is anything wrong with the grivory, they just feel a little slippery.

Thanks, to all. No other grips other than the ones offered by KA-BAR? Not that there is anything wrong with the grivory, they just feel a little slippery.

Well, there are custom grips, of course. There have been any number of posts with custom wood (and other materials) grips, and I'm sure you could get someone to make you a set.

There have also been posts of people modifying their Grivory grips in all kinds of ways, using soldering irons, files, etc., as well as the simple expedient of wrapping them in grip tape, or sliding a bicycle inner tube over them.

Several people have found ways to dye the micarta grips, too.

You can do a forum search for these things, or just read through the past threads (more entertaining, IMHO) to see what you find interesting.

Have fun.

Back