New to Lionsteel. Folder Recommendations?

Hello! I’m well acquainted with a number of higher end makers but have just come across Lionsteel. I’m looking for a folder that demonstrates some of the best qualities that Lionsteel has to offer. I like flippers but I’m open to other deployment styles.

What would you recommend in 2020 as some of the top Lionsteel folders to look at?

Thanks!

The older Lionsteels are (to me) still incredibly compelling. In fact I just got an SR2 (green aluminium, black blade) and I love it. I love it so much I may end up getting an SR1 which is the same knife, just bigger.
Aesthetically the SR1, SR2, SR11, SR22 are outstanding and you're probably going to love them. Another stunning Lionsteel is the Kur, which is a fairly beefy knife without being too big. Kurs come in G10 or wood handles (olive or Santos) and they too are magnificent to look at and a joy to use.
I haven't tried any of their newer models - the slip joint Thrill looks great, and the ROK is an awesome design. Both with interesting clips which are spring loaded to disappear into the handle when not in use. but if I had to recommend one Lionsteel to a complete stranger I'd say go for the SR22 (because you like flippers) and have fun deciding which colour to get!

Lionsteel's sleeper.....

The Big Opera.

My favorite locking folder by far (custom or production) and I've had a few in my hands over the years. It's so simple, comfortable and utilitarian that I've kicked all my other folders out of the sheath carry rotation (I do edc a folder that was gifted to me for sentimental reasons, but if I didn't, the Big Opera would easily handle 99% of what I use a folder for). I only wish they'd do a limited run in stag/damascus like they did with their tiny Opera.

Might not be your cup of tea, but you did say you were open to other "styles".

Good luck in your search,

Stump

Last edited:
I was in the same situation and just recently got the SR22a and it's a sweet flipper. Wont be my last lionsteel. Perfect EDC size and super solid. I adjusted the pivot slightly on mine and it locks up ridiculously solid. The damn thing feels like a fixed blade when I try to torque it to check for play. They come in a bunch of different colors too. If you're into bigger knives they have a large version as well. Its also an integral folder so thats pretty cool. They also do both aluminum and titanium versions.

Their current top end folder is the ROK which is on my list. It has a retractable pocket clip system which looks interesting. I believe its also offered in both aluminum and titanium as well? Give it a look.

Haven't had a LionSteel flipper before but I was a fan of the SR2 and still keep a DPx HEST (made by LionSteel) as a work knife.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really like the look of the thrill, but not crazy about slipjoints. Several people have suggested the SR22 so that seems like a good one to check out

Lionsteel's sleeper.....

The Big Opera.

My favorite locking folder by far (custom or production) and I've had a few in my hands over the years. It's so simple, comfortable and utilitarian that I've kicked all my other folders out of the sheath carry rotation (I do edc a folder that was gifted to me for sentimental reasons, but if I didn't, the Big Opera would easily handle 99% of what I use a folder for). I only wish they'd do a limited run in stag/damascus like they did with their tiny Opera.

Might not be your cup of tea, but you did say you were open to other "styles".

Good luck in your search,

Stump
Are you still using almost only the Big Opera?

Back