New to Sharpening... Need help!

Hello all, I am new to high end knives. I pretty much threw away knives when they were really dull or sharpened them with one of my cheap, hand held "V" sharpeners.

Now I have an Izula 2 and it is crazy sharp. I want to learn how to keep it that way and maybe sharpen up some of my old knives. Plus I have a feeling ill buy more high end knives in the future.

So I'm looking for a sharpening system. I want it to be easy, relatively cheap, and not require a ton of learning. And I want it to make my knives really sharp too!

Thanks for the help and sorry for the "newbie" question, but I'm a newbie!

Being a "downhill trucker", if you want a good non powered system without spending the price of a good steering axle tire, then look into the Lansky systems. Not a lot of money to get into, and easily learned how to use after playing on some cheap beater knives. They come in regular stones, and the diamond stones kits. My preference if I were buying one would be the diamond kit with a couple of their ceramic polishing stones in fine and extra fine.
Watch a few on line video's as to how to use them, and read up on here and ask questions as needed, and you will be good to go.
By the way, I am a retired over the road trucker, and feel for you and all those "hills". Keep her right side up and between the lines!
Blessings,

Omar

Hello trucker welcome to the forums!
I'd say somthing made by lansky would be your best bet there around $30/$50
It will take care of your sharpening needs. very easy to use I'd name a model but ther are countless threads about it.
Then when (not if its only a mater of time) you start buying $100+ knives I'd invest in a sharp maker or a edge pro.

best of luck to ya!

Why Omar............why?
Every time I start typing I type to slow and it looks like I'm copying someone.

Why Omar............why?
Every time I start typing I type to slow and it looks like I'm copying someone.

You must have hit Post about the same time I did, as my post just hung there not wanting to post, and about the time I was going to re-post, it went thru. "Great minds" think alike I guess.:D:D

Wicked edge is the way to go. Just started with mine recently and it's top notch. It's not cheap, so make sure it's something you want long term.

Sauce

Downhill Trucker, I strongly suggest before you waste any money on a "sharpening system" read the post on Zero dollar sharpening by Magnaminous down on this page. If you learn to free hand sharpen, not that hard, you will be able to sharpen a knife anywhere, anytime, on a wide variety of materials. There is no rocket science to it, and it's way easier than you think. You can sharpen a knife to shaving sharp on the unglazed bottom of a coffee mug, a piece of brick, stropped on cardboard, and more. Sharpening systems are a trap and a crutch you get used to, and they don't fit in a pocket like a small diamond hone from Eze-Lap.

Sharpening systems are a way to make knife sharpening seem more compacted than it really is, so you will spend money on their miracle whiz bang gizmos.

Carl.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel Jackknife!:D Just kidding, because what you said has a lot of truth in it. These different systems are all pretty much alike in their bottom line of getting your knife sharp. However, some people do not have the experience or fully understand the physics of sharpening a knife. Possibility not even the ability to use a brick, or a cup bottom. I don't think I could have had any success if I had started out with just a rock or a ceramic cup, until I had some experience and success with something else first.

If all I wanted was a knife to cut a package open, or cut some rope, then I could have used a brick, or just a simple whet stone which I have and have had for years. I wanted something that would give me better results with a short learning curve for the knives I had and cherished. I now could sharpen one with the bottom of a cup if I wanted or needed to in an emergency. I use and have had great results with the paper wheel system. They are just one of several systems available on the market. I would love to have the skill to freehand on a waterstone like HH and Magnaminous and others on this forum, but my skill is not there just yet. One day maybe!

Blessings,

Omar

One way to 'get your feet wet' in producing a good edge, and doing it with a minimal learning curve, is to use a guide with the blade, on any decent stone. A DMT Aligner clamp (about $15 or even less) would work pretty well with an Izula-sized blade, and an inexpensive stone could handle the 1095 steel pretty easily. Silicon carbide or aluminum oxide stones can do a lot, and the offerings from Norton, in particular, aren't too expensive. I just picked up one of their 'Economy' 2-sided (C/F) oil stones in silicon carbide yesterday at the local big-box home improvement center, for about $6. Haven't done a lot with it yet, but I have no doubt it's capable. For occasional touch-ups on a relatively new knife, start on the 'Fine' side with that stone; the 'Coarse' side is very aggressive, and would be useful if/when you need to do a full restoration of the edge. As I mentioned, the guide clamp can be used with any stone, so there are a LOT of options for you in that.

The guided clamp will give you some freedom in not worrying about whether you're maintaining a consistent angle (guide does it for you), and you can just focus on making proper use of pressure, developing a rhythm in the stroke, and closely watching the changes/improvements in the edge as you work (look for burr formation, which is key to making sure the edge is fully apexed). If you pay attention to the 'feel' of the process as a whole, you can take that with you in subsequent sharpening jobs, and apply it to freehand sharpening when you feel ready for it. Knowing what I know now, if I were starting all over again, that's how I'd go about it (would've saved me a whole lot of money and time ;)).

David

Last edited:
Why don't you tell us how you really feel Jackknife!:D Just kidding, because what you said has a lot of truth in it. These different systems are all pretty much alike in their bottom line of getting your knife sharp. However, some people do not have the experience or fully understand the physics of sharpening a knife. Possibility not even the ability to use a brick, or a cup bottom. I don't think I could have had any success if I had started out with just a rock or a ceramic cup, until I had some experience and success with something else first.

If all I wanted was a knife to cut a package open, or cut some rope, then I could have used a brick, or just a simple whet stone which I have and have had for years. I wanted something that would give me better results with a short learning curve for the knives I had and cherished. I now could sharpen one with the bottom of a cup if I wanted or needed to in an emergency. I use and have had great results with the paper wheel system. They are just one of several systems available on the market. I would love to have the skill to freehand on a waterstone like HH and Magnaminous and others on this forum, but my skill is not there just yet. One day maybe!

Blessings,

Omar

You're right Omar, and I agree with you. Many people don't have the experience to do it, because nobody has ever sat down with them to show them. So...

If there are any members here in the Washington D.C./Richmond Va/ Baltimore Md./ southern Pa. area that have a good video camera, I volunteer my time to make a video to show anyone here in 15 minutes how to do it. I know it can be done, because our scoutmaster when I was a kid took about that time to teach all of us one night at a meeting. He showed us how to sharpen up our scout knives anywhere at anytime. I want to do the same for any of you. I'll go farther, and offer to have a meet up anywhere from NYC to Richmond Virginia to show anyone in person how to sharpen. I feel that strongly that I don't hesitate for a second to drive a hundred miles or two, to show how to do it.

I know theres a lot of young guys here who have not ever had a father or grandfather or scout master to sit down with them on a one on one sharpening lesson, so I don't mind teaching the next generation how to do it. I'm not getting any younger, and figuring the law of averages, I guess I got about a dozen years left. May as well teach somebody something useful.

So, who's gonna help with a Jackknife's guide to sharpening a knife without a gizmo video?

Carl.

SE Michigan?

Man, that's a haul. At my age I'm good for about 4 or 5 hours then I need help straitening up when I get out of the car.

Anyone around on the east coast? Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, eastern West Virginia, southern Pennsylvania? Southern New Jersey?

Man, someones got be around Baltimore to Philly to D.C.

Sounds like a great project Carl. I am like you, in that about 3-4 hours is my limit anymore. When I was on the road, 10 - 12 hours was a normal day. My Grandfather taught me how to sharpen a knife with a whet stone when I was a lad, and in fact the stone I have to this day was his. (looks like a canoe from the side :eek:) Watching a video is helpful, but watching someone in person is better than hours of video's. I applaud you for your offer, and hope someone will take you up on it. Surely there is someone in the DC Virginia area willing to assist. Looking forward to seeing your project to fruition.

Blessings,

Omar

Thank you so much for the great tips guys!

While I like the simplicity of the lansky systems... Carl's offer to teach using a real stone would allow me to skip to the chase and use a stone. The question is which stone or stones to get and should I get a strop and compound?

Carl, I live in the Baltimore area and have access to a video camera. I would love to film the video, especially if you could teach me first hand how to use a stone. Your offer is a very generous one, and ill PM you now with my email and maybe we can make this happen.

Now just to get a stone and maybe a strop.

You're right Omar, and I agree with you. Many people don't have the experience to do it, because nobody has ever sat down with them to show them. So...

If there are any members here in the Washington D.C./Richmond Va/ Baltimore Md./ southern Pa. area that have a good video camera, I volunteer my time to make a video to show anyone here in 15 minutes how to do it. I know it can be done, because our scoutmaster when I was a kid took about that time to teach all of us one night at a meeting. He showed us how to sharpen up our scout knives anywhere at anytime. I want to do the same for any of you. I'll go farther, and offer to have a meet up anywhere from NYC to Richmond Virginia to show anyone in person how to sharpen. I feel that strongly that I don't hesitate for a second to drive a hundred miles or two, to show how to do it.

I know theres a lot of young guys here who have not ever had a father or grandfather or scout master to sit down with them on a one on one sharpening lesson, so I don't mind teaching the next generation how to do it. I'm not getting any younger, and figuring the law of averages, I guess I got about a dozen years left. May as well teach somebody something useful.

So, who's gonna help with a Jackknife's guide to sharpening a knife without a gizmo video?

Carl.

I live in Fairfax. Don't have much of a video camera, though. I have a MacBook and an Android tablet.

I can't figure out how to PM. :(

Carl,
My email is zachrohe@gmail.com. Shoot me a line. I live in north Baltimore, but would be glad to drive and meet you.

Hey bud, e-mail on the way right after I get done with this post. I was out all day, and just got home and checked the forum. You got a deal, I'll meet up with you and teach ya how to get it done with very little gear. I'll make a deal with you. We'll meet up at a little place I know that just may be halfway, and if after 20 to 30 minutes, if that, you can't sharpen a knife like I show ya, the lunch is on me.:D

I'm down here in Germantown, Montgomery county, so I think the Lisbon or Sykesville, or Westminster area is about halfway. You just bring what knife you need to sharpen, I'll bring the sharpening stuff. Heck, bring the video camera as well if you want.

Carl.

Edit to add- don't go buy a stone just yet. Wait till I show you what I've got, and we'll go from there.

Last edited:
I live in Fairfax. Don't have much of a video camera, though. I have a MacBook and an Android tablet.

Heck, you're more than welcome to come along to the party when we settle for a meet up place. I can teach two as easy as one.:thumbup:

Carl.

This sounds like a great project, a good way to make a new friend, and a great video for the rest of us to watch. I can't wait for the results. I'll definitely make a bowl of popcorn for that vid.

Back