New to straight razors

Can someone help me out. Im not familiar with straight razor brands. I did a search and the ones i could find dont even list what type of steel, just high carbon or stainless steel.
Any recomendations on brands or stores in a medium price range.
Thanks

I would suggest checking out the Straightrazorplace.com
website. There is a ton of info on straights there which will help you make an informed purchasing decision.
A quality pre-owned razor is usually a better deal than buying a new one, having it honed, etc. There are so many good brands among the older razors it's hard to think of one in the intermediate price range that stands out.

My personal favorites are an old English "Bengall" and a newer Henckels.
Do not get a Pakistan-made razor.

--Mike L.

I personal started with a disposable blade straight razor and found it works great also good for beginners as you don't have to worry about shaping them and mine can ony cut a few millimeters deep. I self taught my self on my face but later after learning how to shave with one, found out about a trick of practicing on a balloon with shaving cream first. Never tried it but could save you a few gashes.

While you think about what you'll get, I suggest you try different soaps and creams typically used in wet shaving. This way your lathering technique will be good when you'll receive your straight.

Never heard of the balloon shaving trick. I guess that's why my face looks like I was in a knife fight and lost.

Most straight razors that are labeled carbon steel are very close to 1095, I have no idea about the stainless ones.

Straight Razor Place is a great forum where you can buy good quality razors and learn to use them as well.

some years ago, ive tried to use the multiple blade gillette stuff, needless to say i hated it, so ive returned to my no name safety razor, with disposable blades, wich was not so into safety, because the blade edge was sticking out, and i was loving it
it shaved perfectly, but ive manage to lose it somehow not long ago
some time ago ive bought a merkur classic safety razor,to replace the no name thingy, which had the edge not exposed, more towards safety, like the name says
it was good, but i didnt like it that much so just two weeks ago, ive bought a straight razor, and from the first time ive used it, it was perfect
not even one small cut in 2 weeks of using that thing, i like it very much and i will continue to use it with pleasure
it has solingen germany on the blade, and its supossed to be carbon steel

Back