New to the forum and just ordered a CAK!

What an ordeal - choosing what blade to buy! I finally settled on a 16" CAK, to be shipped tomorrow :) I initially settled for the 15" AK but it wasn't in stock so I had to rethink. Going to use it clearing out some smaller trees and stuff around my house as well as clearing shooting paths when I'm out hunting as well as occasionally bringing it to camping trips. Hope I chose wisely! Your thoughts? (Pics will come once I've received it.)

Ps, fun thing - I initially bought a $20 Cold Steel Kukri and loved the shape and chopping power of that thing so much I just had to find the best possible buy! HI seemed to be THE blade to buy after having read thoroughly on these forums.

/Mikael (from Sweden)

For light path clearing I'd still go with a machete, since it's less tiering (lol, who am I kidding, my "machete" is a 13" blade, 17 overall handmade e- nep, half a cm at spine and huuge belly, forward-balanced...I think it's around 800 grams).

However, overall...the last blade I picked is a 16 inch kukri. I have a 15 and a 17 one. Maybe that tells you it's a good compromise :). And since you Swedes are bigger guys :D, you'll be fine :).

Welcome!

What an ordeal - choosing what blade to buy! I finally settled on a 16" CAK, to be shipped tomorrow :) I initially settled for the 15" AK but it wasn't in stock so I had to rethink. Going to use it clearing out some smaller trees and stuff around my house as well as clearing shooting paths when I'm out hunting as well as occasionally bringing it to camping trips. Hope I chose wisely! Your thoughts? (Pics will come once I've received it.)

Ps, fun thing - I initially bought a $20 Cold Steel Kukri and loved the shape and chopping power of that thing so much I just had to find the best possible buy! HI seemed to be THE blade to buy after having read thoroughly on these forums.

/Mikael (from Sweden)

Soon your KLO (Kukri-Like Object) will be a distant memory. Himalayan Imports kukris are traditionally made, and done so by hand, and are a lot heftier and more robust and higher quality than anything mass-produced. If you like the chopping power of your KLO, you will be blown away by the CAK. And don't bother telling yourself that you will only buy the one. It's been 11 months since I bought my first kukri, and now I own three full-sized kukris, one small one, a Padam Suga (it's like the offspring of a Bowie knife and a kukri), two Mini-Micro Bowies, and a Hasiya (sickle). Beyond that I have several kukris and HI products on my to-buy list, and I've designed one variant on the Suga, and have another variant on the Suga that I'm working on.

Welcome friend! I know everyone has said how much you will love you cak when it arrives... but I have to say it again YOU WILL LOVE IT!

HI khuks are simply the best for getting work done, believe it or not I favored my 18 "siripata for chopping up my Palm froms On my property. I think you 'll find your Cak will work just fine. Just watch out for that blade deflection When it occurs.

I bought the WWII for same type work thinking my last Ang Khola a bit much.....you might prefer the CS for zinging through the light stuff, you have purchased a real chopper which should say Wetterlings on side...

I think the CAK is a good start and you'll certainly be impressed I have no doubt.

My wife has lots of people in Sweden, speaks the lingo and all, some have visited and tried to teach me, didn't do to well. At one time I could count to 10 except for 6, yall do something funny with your tongue or somethin, never could get 6.

Glad you found our little knife oasis, enjoy.

Welcome to the forums and grats on a cool blade. Good choice. The extra length and weight over the 15" should do you well for chopping the larger stuff.

Welcome to the stealth shark infested waters of HI, Mikael. Your new blade will work most admirably for you and will last your lifetime. The handle may dry and shrink a bit because of the humidity differences, but that is easily repaired. You're going to be happy. Mvh, Bookie

What a friendly forum! :) Never expected this type of response.

Moonw; I wish - I'm not that big but I think I can swing that blade... Maybe its because of the viking genes or something ;-)

Scara; can't wait! and yes, you're probably right - I'll most likely buy more!

cul4u01; I already do, kind of!

berserka; looking forward to it!

cmegovert; yeah, I've experienced some deflection from my cold steel as well chopping hard woods..

mtngunr; we'll won't be my last khukri for sure - and I still have the cs :)

bawanna; I'm sure I'll be impressed! fun thing re the swedish connection. people say there's a weird melody to the language.. agree!

ndoghouse; thanks and yeah, that's what I figured :D

bookie; I'm sure I'll be around asking for help when it does shrink. I bought with a wood handle though..! maybe it shrinks too?

/M

What a friendly forum! :) Never expected this type of response.

I'm sure I'll be around asking for help when it does shrink. I bought with a wood handle though..! maybe it shrinks too?

/M

We are a friendly, knowledgable, and helpful bunch here, your are most welcome and please join us in the Cantina for some fun, relaxed, interesting, and informative threads.

To help with the shrinkage, upon receipt, it would be a good idea to treat the handle to a mineral oil bath for a few days, and then with a sealant like BLO (boiled linseed oil). You may want to apply the BLO several times, and sand it with 4 0 steel wool between applications.

FYI - you will get more blade deflection with a KLO (I have a CS khukuri as well), the HI blades have much less deflection, and more forgiving, but do always be aware of the swinging arc path, so you don't lose any extremities you may want to keep...:rolleyes:

You mean all of us in that friendly, knowledgable and helpful line? Might be a little white lie but momma says a little white lie never hurt nobody. I do know some stuff though. Well not much but some. And Bookie can be crotchety at times but I still think he's friendly.

Taksomikka, I'm sure I screwed up the spellin mikael, never said I learned how to write it or spell it.

Well. Most of us anyway. True, some more knowledgable than others, but we all helpful, and respectful.

Well, once you learn the proper technique,it'll be easier on your arms and hands. I am not a shrimp by any means, but not a big guy either and I can attest technique makes a lot of difference.

I am really looking forward to try a traditional, hand-forged Leuku, btw :). I also have a sweet spot for Swedes, goes back to my childhood in a communist country.

As for shrinkage, i simply use same beeswax/petrolatum(Vaseline)/mineral oil on handles as on blade and as on leather and buff off.....all natural materials have the same problems and same fixes and/or repairs....enjoy.....best reason to buy from Yangdu is the vision of helping others while getting the best...you will not get that feeling from Nikes or knives out of some sweatshop poverty mill....enjoy the spirit and blessings on each batch of knives.....

It finally arrived! I've been carrying it around all evening - it feels great in my hand, I'm super impressed by the balance and sharpness! It's a heavy piece though, I imagine it's capable of doing quite some chopping :) I haven't tried it yet - will do tomorrow. Pics will of course come as soon as I can upload.

Got a couple of questions though!

1) How do you guys carry your 16" CAKs? If I put it in my waist, its almost too heavy and the metal thingy on the sheath is sort of scuffs towards my leg since it swings quite heavily back and forth. I'm thinking of putting some tape there, but that wont look so good (ideas?). Another idea is to put some kind of attachment to the thigh.
2) The spine (mid elevation across the spine) of the knife is kind of not centered - is this normal and expected? I've seen some pics with centered spines. I'm afraid it might somehow affects the balance!

Some hang it on their belt below the "small " of the back. You can also have a custom leather or kydex sheath made by one of the talented craftsman on this forum.

I usually carry it in my backpack, or lash it on.

It finally arrived! I've been carrying it around all evening - it feels great in my hand, I'm super impressed by the balance and sharpness! It's a heavy piece though, I imagine it's capable of doing quite some chopping :) I haven't tried it yet - will do tomorrow. Pics will of course come as soon as I can upload.

Got a couple of questions though!

1) How do you guys carry your 16" CAKs? If I put it in my waist, its almost too heavy and the metal thingy on the sheath is sort of scuffs towards my leg since it swings quite heavily back and forth. I'm thinking of putting some tape there, but that wont look so good (ideas?). Another idea is to put some kind of attachment to the thigh.
2) The spine (mid elevation across the spine) of the knife is kind of not centered - is this normal and expected? I've seen some pics with centered spines. I'm afraid it might somehow affects the balance!

Post a picture of the spine.

Back