New toy...

No kiddin!!!!
I just found out a week or two ago about the 40D - really got me jonesin!!!! :eek:

ayup, it was released the 30th "online", which meant the official sept 2, 2007 release day coincided. you can probably sell your 20D for a reasonable price, but nothing like you bought it for. the 40D is a decent 20D upgrade, but probably not a 30D upgrade. still shooting a 10D? save it for a backup body and go 40D.

i was actually hoping for a 5DmkII, but that's next Spring earliest if they release one, and who knows, possibly a year, or more. feh :)

and now i'm on the hunt for camera toys :)

ever use a "fong diffuser"? check'em out.

bladite

Yes I do have a Fong diffuser...and have used it many times.

However, "Gary" screwed me over on the dome that was supposed to come with it...:mad:

So...I'm holding a grudge. :(

Let me know when you're ready to sell your 40D. :D

I actually got my 20D for $900 - in almost perfect condition (lightly used). So, I won't be taking too bad of a hit...it still out-shoots a brand new Rebel ($700)...so until that changes...and provided it stays in good condition...:D....should be able to get decent market value for it. :thumbup:

Interested in a Bigma? (Sigma 50-500)

I just don't use it as much as I used to...loved it for what it did, of course...but it was always a "splurge" lens for me....so I'm looking to unload it.

Yes I do have a Fong diffuser...and have used it many times. However, "Gary" screwed me over on the dome that was supposed to come with it...:mad:
So...I'm holding a grudge. :(
Let me know when you're ready to sell your 40D. :D
I actually got my 20D for $900 - in almost perfect condition (lightly used). So, I won't be taking too bad of a hit...it still out-shoots a brand new Rebel ($700)...so until that changes...and provided it stays in good condition...:D....should be able to get decent market value for it. :thumbup:
Interested in a Bigma? (Sigma 50-500)
I just don't use it as much as I used to...loved it for what it did, of course...but it was always a "splurge" lens for me....so I'm looking to unload it.

o find a tupperware type lid, or soda lid, or something like that that's translucent - having seen the lid they supply, it's not very different. iirc, the originals WERE modified food bowls :)

o i'll be ready to sell my 40D when probably there's a 60/70D ;) i'll need to have one as a backup body to the 5DmkII anyway ;>

o the 20D is pretty spiffy - though the XTi (400D) might have an edge (slight) over it. the 40D has more color depth, and the images just POP. wow. i can show you some samples if you want, that i did today of outdoors things - about 81 culled pictures. groovy.

o bigma huh? don't know nothing about it. let me google that and see what i can see, mmm? i'm assuming since it works on 20D, the 40D shouldn't be a worry; specs? picture? the "ahem details"?

i've heard of a sigmonster: 800 mm sigma lens + 2x adapter did this:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=24670921

i want to get something from here: http://www.scopetronics.com/dslradapters.htm for use with my telescope (it's a VERY good one), so some interesting sky and terrestrial stuff should happen sooner than later

o i can get this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004THCZ for the cost of "free" by using about 1/2 my credit card points. mixed bag i guess there, eh? downside: it doesn't have IS, and the USM is poor. mmm.

anyway, back to study

bladite

Good ole "liquidstone"....yep...Sigmonster indeed. I bugged him one time to hook up all his teleconverters to his Sigmonster to see what would happen. The f-stop was 192 (or something like that)....it was crazy dark. Had it pointed right at the sun and could just make out the color. :D

I shot this one with the Bigma:

Moon050706.jpg

not too shabby a picture. little soft, but not bad :)

so it's 500mm, but 800mm and 744mm actual? did you zoom or use a teleconverter or whut?
[yes, i know 500 * 1.6 == 800; but the 744 threw me?]

see televue.com for fun :)

bladite

Some of the folks have had their lenses analyzed for "actual" optics versus "advertised" optics. The 744 is actual...bonified. The 800 is pure marketing. :D Every lens is this way...especially the longer ones. Since you know dpreview...check out the lens forums for more specific info. I just got the number from someone and like to post the stats with the pics.

Yes...it is a tad soft...but it's at 100%. And on a $15 tripod. So, I'm feeling pretty good. :D

I tried once with a TC...but the results didn't impress me. The trade off in light degradation wasn't overcome with any detail added at higher magnification. Believe me...I tried and tried to get it better...but couldn't. I'm sure it's partly me and partly the TC (Kenko 1.4x).

Nikon DX is what i think its called. in short it is lightyears better than the D40. faster shutter, higher res, overall better camera. im in the wedding business, i work with these things all the time. they are freakin awsome cameras! almost $1500 for the BODY alone, not the lense

Back