New Viper Tecnocut TEN subframe flipper, design by Fabrizio Silvestrelli

gA9pMb7.jpg

moVjJ7Y.jpg

zHa9EqW.jpg

85mm (3.34") blade length, 190mm (7.48") overall length, 3.7mm (.145") blade thickness. 105-115g (3.7-4.05oz) weight. N690Co blade, carbon fiber or G10 and GR5 titanium subframe/liners. "Micro-adjustment system" steel lock insert. Thrust bearings (ball bearings).

I've had my issues with Viper, but they still make a fantastic knife (just don't offer much in the way of support after the fact). This one has me intrigued for sure.

Looks sort of cool I guess, does it offer anything above what's commonly available, with better customer service & support? What's the MSRP?

That's interesting for sure. Pretty decent weight for the length too. What makes you question the support from the company? And what does "Micro-adjustment system" mean?

And what does "Micro-adjustment system" mean?

Well, if you have to ask, I think this knife might be a bit too awesome for you. Sorry.

:D

(Beats the heck outta me what that means either. I use knives all the time and have yet to feel the need to do any micro adjustments to them.)

I suppose its kinda neat looking if that is your cup of tea...I'm not getting how that lockbar functions. Looks like a liner lock with a slab attached to it with a bunch of screws.

Looks sort of cool I guess, does it offer anything above what's commonly available, with better customer service & support? What's the MSRP?

No MSRP yet.

Reminds me of a larger version of LionSTEEL's TRE, the backspacers are almost identical.

That's interesting for sure. Pretty decent weight for the length too. What makes you question the support from the company? And what does "Micro-adjustment system" mean?

No idea what "micro-adjustment system" means, but I'm guessing it has to do with that set screw on the subframe. Probably some way to adjust lock tension?

What makes me question the support from the company is the fact they've left me and many other US customers high-and-dry when things go wrong. The knives are fantastic and well made, just don't break something (strip a screw, break a pocket clip, etc.).

More likely it adjusts the length of the lockbar insert, which allows the user to adjust the locking bar position on the tang to their own taste. I hope thats not the case as that would a real waste of design time. Thats just my guess looking at how the mechanics are laid out there.

Adjustable tension would be really neat but I kinda doubt that that setup could handle that.

Well, if you have to ask, I think this knife might be a bit too awesome for you. Sorry.

(Beats the heck outta me what that means either. I use knives all the time and have yet to feel the need to do any micro adjustments to them.)

I suppose its kinda neat looking if that is your cup of tea...I'm not getting how that lockbar functions. Looks like a liner lock with a slab attached to it with a bunch of screws.

Well shucks. Guess I gotta go back to saving up for that SMF! :D

I agree that this is a very interesting design. I very much like the Odino from Viper, but the ergos were a little odd for my large hands. Looking forward to getting my hands on this one at some point.

The last two Viper folders with bearings were Odino and Maga. They're both very nice although Maga is a little too tacticool-looking! The detents are weak and you can easily flick the blades out. That's something which is an issue for some.

This upcoming TEN looks intriguing and light. Lock side with all those screws takes away from the looks. I like low-profile flipper tabs but it's not to everyone's liking.

Adjusting those screws will most likely micro-adjust the lock bar - lockup, stickiness, vertical play.

I find the knife a bit too much for my taste, and too many components also introduce too many points of failure (plus added gunk between the lock bar slabs, more lint retention, etc.). :)

Looking at the screws it seems like they are set up to adjust both lock placement and tension. A neat idea for those who need such, but bring plenty of locktite!

Got the Carbonfiber handle version on it's way. I failed to order directly from their website (Ten tab did not show add to cart). Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what the exact warrenty and customer service will be. I'd imagine the knife will come with some form of papers stating such subjects. But hearing about others experience with their customer sevice kinda worries me.

Just arrived today. It's a solid folder in my opinion. It came fairly sharp, no blade play and dead on center blade position. I was but surprised at the weight of this folder because I initially assumed it would have some weight to it, but its pretty darn light. It came with little smudge on blade, but I am assuming it was due to the cold temperature (during its arrival). Little wipe cleared it. Also, it came with one sheet of paper which described the blade and quality assurance (by a tiny stamp-like mark)/ ofcourse in Italian and English language.
6t1wlj.jpg

2upa3nm.jpg

Also, I did not see any detailed instructions or mentioning of it's micro adjustment content, nor any tools (not that I was expecting them to hand out free tool/kits) From several mentioning from other owners of this knife and taking a look at it, I guess the micro adjustment allows the user to change the depth of which the sub-frame lock can be positioned.

IMO the contoured lines of the knife clash with the straight edges on the cutting edge/lock side of the handle. Would have looked better if it was slightly curved.

IMO the contoured lines of the knife clash with the straight edges on the cutting edge/lock side of the handle. Would have looked better if it was slightly curved.

This flipper is considered as a Tactical blade knife. I believe the shape of the blade allows smoother friction by widening the initial puncture opening of an object as it goes in deeper. Also, I like the slight curve on the spine (near the thumb jimping) because its wide enough to position my thumb on it, which makes it versitile depending on the task at hand. But yeah... not everyone will find the shape useful. I like it though.

Another thing that I like about this knife (and majority of other flippers) has to do with the flipper tab (the tab you push to open the blade). Once the blades open, you can secure your thumb or pinky (depending on how you hold the knife) against this flipper tab, it will act as another security measure since even if the lock fails, your pressing against the tab which will keep the blade from folding on you. Great feature when you are in need to puncture objects etc.

Anyone else here own the 'Ten' from Viper? It seems like not too many people talk about it (ofcourse having no Viper sub forum could be one of the reason why).

Back