New York Knife Laws?

Just like the State I'm in. Sad
I will be retiring in AZ though so there is a bright side :)

I am continuously amazed by how closed minded, idiotic and hypocritical the Governor, DA and the Mayor are. How these people remember to breath is a miracle.

In the article Cuomo said the NYPD had also agreed to train its police officers to uniformly identify when someone is carrying a gravity knife for work purposes in order "to ensure intent on making an honest day's living no longer face arrest." That doesn't help if an officer does decide to arrest someone. It will be up to the officers discretion. That knife carrying worker still doesn't have a law backing them. So they are in the same stupid situation that there was before the training.

"In doing so, the Legislature has gone far beyond the innocent laborers carrying these knives for legitimate purposes and has grossly disregarded the concerns of law enforcement," he said in his veto. All of the sudden he is worried about what law enforcement deals with.

It's funny because the statute defines gravity knife as a knife that opens through "the application of centrifugal force", when in reality no knife on the planet opens through the application of centrifugal force but rather centripetal force, if you've ever taken high school physics.

It's funny because the statute defines gravity knife as a knife that opens through "the application of centrifugal force", when in reality no knife on the planet opens through the application of centrifugal force but rather centripetal force, if you've ever taken high school physics.

i'll make sure to use that argument against the NYPD as they shove me in their van :D or maybe the judge will appreciate it :p

I am fortunate to live in a city (in Canada) where the top cop has publicly stated that he does not believe in knife bans. He is smart enough to realize that if someone is intent on using a knife to rob a store, or to assault or kill someone, a knife carry ban is never going to prevent that.

Good catch though.........

I would just introduce a physics textbook into evidence, from a local public library or school, and read the definitions of centrifugal and centripetal force into evidence, testify that based on the publicly available scientific literature provided by the state I believed that the statute defining gravity knife insofar as it includes “open by means of centrifugal force” was specifically intended not to apply to pocket knives that flick open by centripetal force. This is actually what I would do if I got charged with that bullshit.

Last edited:
While I agree with the term not correctly being used and the definition based on the real way the motion has to take to meet that definition, it is all meaningless today, as the NYS Court of Appeals has heard those arguments years ago, and has determined the law includes the flick opening to be a gravity knife. Once they have made this ruling, that became the enforceable law......

Not one specific case but several over the years. This law was passed in the 1950s. The wording has been challenged several times over all those years. The NYS Courts have always allowed for this ruling. There were a few cases that went to appeal but the lower courts ruling stood in effect. I had a few cases listed, but I don't have access to them at the moment.

New Yorker's voted these people into office. Keep that in mind. It's "A New York State of Mind" thing. Apologies to Billy Joel.

Brother, I didn't vote for that a$$hat. If you look at a map of NYS that shows population density it all becomes clear - Upstate is dragged along for the ride by NYS and its surrounding ares - the entire rest of the state barely has enough population to qualify as a good sized Borough and that's about the representation they get.

When my kids are finished with school I'll be out of this state. Maybe sooner.

Brother, I didn't vote for that a$$hat. If you look at a map of NYS that shows population density it all becomes clear - Upstate is dragged along for the ride by NYS and its surrounding ares - the entire rest of the state barely has enough population to qualify as a good sized Borough and that's about the representation they get.

When my kids are finished with school I'll be out of this state. Maybe sooner.
Meant no disrespect to the folks living Upstate - believe me, I understand. NYC and surrounding boroughs rule the state's voting results. Damn shame.

Yeah in the mountains in NY you should be fine. I've seen people carry fixed blades dressed in hunting clothes during hunting season but I wouldn't do that in the mall. A pocket clip knife? probably fine? Dunno the laws, just remember from my time there it seemed pretty chill.

Back