Newbie to this forum - God help me

But since he's out and about with a few other issues I'm sure, I seek some informed advice from you all
smile.gif

I am a professional outdoors worker and always have a knife on me.And a hachet, and a saw,sometimes a sandvic,and I am getting tired of not having the right tool for the job always available.So I stumble upon the BUSSE site. Now I am selling everthing I own, even my hound is getting nervous
wink.gif
I use shap objects for the following - cutting branches for cammo purposes, cutting larger branches for improptu shelter. Cutting ropes and lines of all types that hold illegal nets, digging out illegal beaver traps, sometimes cuting illegal snare wire, gutting, skinning seized moose - foxes,
cutting my lunch,cleaning fish, and just plain looking at when I'm bored.Blazing tress, and clearing some trails.I've had to pound nails to hold signs and so on...
Busse seems strong enough to handle all of this abuse. But which one. I thought of a Basic 7, but then realized that the combat series have the exposed tang butt end good for hammering. Been looking at the Battlemistress or the Steelheart. Anything else you could suggest ? Or list the pros and cons of each. Also regarding sheaths, I'm ok carrying a fixed blade in the bush but the sheeple at the office feel we shouldn't even have sidearms! So I'd like a sheath that while secure enough not to fall off walking through the thick stuff ( anyof you ever been in the North Ontario Jackpine know what I mean,but easily removeable when I get to the office.
Anyway thanks to all you I have to come up with 700 Canadian dollars so I really don't want to mess up on a blade.
I'll also state on the chance you might boot me from the forum,I've considered Falkniven A1, Tops Annaconda, And Livesay 101 Airborne.
Rust is allways an issue as lots of places I go are by boat , atv, or foot .Rain or shine. Sorry for the long post,but this amount of cash is a big deal for my spouse,me I'll just miss a few lunches
smile.gif
Cheers

yours in conservation
Ken Ukrainetz
District Enforcemet supervisor
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
Hearst Distict
( all this to say I'm a Game Warden)

Hey Ken, another Busse family member is born! Welcome aboard.
First, I'm envious of the time you get to spend in the field. Sometimes time away from Sheeple is a good thing. Though it sounds like some of the people you do run across are likely armed and you have no immediate backup.
I'm sure some of us would appreciate some examples of bladeware you have been using up to now and why they work for you. Models, steel preference, ease of carry.

Your'e right on with the Busses, either the Steel Heart E or the Battle Mistress E could perform a lot of the tasks you described.
If you're looking at only one knife, probably the Steel Heart, heavy enough for chopping, shelter construction, fire wood, yet also could be used for skinning game.
A kydex sheath would ride a little higher on your belt and could be covered by a field coat when in town. (You guys wear Filson's up there?) Some kydex sheaths are available with a "J" hook belt loop, so you can remove the sheathed knife without unthreading your belt.
You might consider the Battle Mistress E for the heavy use field knife and a Basic 3 or 5 for lighter work. The steel in any of the Busse line is great, you will read many stories of abuse here in the forum. Both lines are coated which can help with the moisture problem. Busses can also be sharpened well in the field. Just my opinion given here. I use my Busses around the farm and run a trapline in season.
In fifteen years of knife collecting and testing, Busses are what I carry now.

Take care with the poachers and the backwoods hooligans. Enjoy your Busse(s), let us know how they perform for ya. Beav.

[This message has been edited by HDBeav (edited 05-10-2001).]

Thanks for the welcome aboard Beav. Nice to know you can go on a forum,admit you are an LEO and not get slammed.What you trap down there? Racoons, beaver? Here beaver,martin,fisher,lynx and wolves are tops. Throw in some fox and a bear every now and then. 'Course some locals snare moose, stuff like that keeps me busy
smile.gif
. Yeah its nice to have a job where you are having a lousey day so you go for a walk in the bush and get paid for it
wink.gif

Anyway as far as sharp things go I always have a Buck110 on my belt.Good for lots of stuff,(like slivers,cutting rope,opening cans)its cheap in price, gone through a few of these over the years. Tried experimenting with:
Gerber folders - boltaction - good, Ez-out not good hit the spine of a moose I was digging a bullet out of and the blade folded over backwards ( out came the 110 ). I allways have a gerber multiplier w/me good for the outboards,and around the cabins.Have a big Western Cutlery knife in the truck its my " stinky blade " used on stuff you find thats been lying around for awhile.Rusty,and dirty,but keep it sharp.
Bought some folders by scharade, good for light use, but seem a bit weak for everyday.
For bush clearing, usually drag out a sandvic,woks great for a short time on the smaller stuff.
Lately I've gotten in to the better stuff. Tried a spyderco Chinook - beauty knife but just didn't feel right for me traded it away.Got a tactical MOD Hornet for it cause I thought it looked cool carrying that in a pocket but will be dumping it. nice and small and seems well made but again doesn't feel right.
Picked up a Gerber Bowie love the sheath, it has those clips on it that I can clip over my duty belt,so remove the knife when driving and in the office does Busse offer these type of sheaths?Its great to just pop off the knife rig instead of undoing the whole belt which I'd have to cause one more "what do you need a big psyco knife like that for" from the office crowd and ....
But the gerber while it seems like it would be a good knife for a seasonal camper just has that feel it wouldn't hold up under repeated hard use. Had a buckmaster 184 bought that long ago again cause it looked cool and just sat in my gun vault ever since(sold it on BFC to add to my Busse fund).Anyway the 110 is always here to stay and the busse ( I'm leaning towards the BM) willbe there for everything including survival'( except true stinky knife use) If you play as much in the bush as I try to the odds are I'll spend a couple of unexpected days not lost just a bit confused as to my exact location
smile.gif
Anyway any info I can get from you all is welcome. Plus its fun to shoot the sh** about knives

Cheers
Ken

[This message has been edited by hstdist (edited 05-10-2001).]

I concur with HDBeav's recommendation of the Steelheart as being the blade of choice. It's capable of light chopping & is a fine cutter. I think it will easily meet the requirements listed. If you need a hammer pommel, something from the Combat line is the way to go.

Re: "sometimes cuting illegal snare wire." Be aware that the INFI steel edge on Busse blades tends to deform (vs chipping) when impacting hard materials like nails. Steeling the blade is sometimes enough to push the displaced steel back into place, thereby restoring much of the functionality of the edge. This edge deformation may be a consideration when working on snare wire. Might want to look at filing a wirebreaker notch into the spine of the blade. See Cliff Stamp's very thorough review of the Battle Mistress for info on the steel, edge retention, and corrosion resistance of Busse blades. http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/busse_bm.html

Welcome to the world of Busse blades. But be aware that most people, after they get their first one, soon feel the need to have more. The quality of Busse blades gets addicting in a hurry.
smile.gif

Re: sheaths. Check out the sheaths of Eric Noeldechen at OnScene Tactical, likewise in Canada. Very nice work at reasonable prices. His "G" hook belt system sounds like exactly what you're seeking in a sheath: easy on/off yet offering secure retention when plowing through the brush. His sheath is multi-position. (Inside/Outside/Left/Right, IWB Concealed, 45 degree forward Cant, Inverted, Horizontal (On Some Models)). His work seems to get consistently good comments on the forums. http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel/products.htm

[This message has been edited by RokJok (edited 05-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by RokJok (edited 05-10-2001).]

It's good to hear from someone who really depends on a knife everyday. Your evaluations and experiences would be welcome all around the forums. As far as toughness and edge holding go, it's hard to beat a Busse for sure.

So what you all are saying is that while the SH is better for my needs , If I get a BM,it won't matter 'cause I'll pickup the steelheart later on.

My bank is going to love the intrest coming from me
smile.gif

(hey its my day off and it's pouring rain that's why I'm hanging out here, plus reading all posts so I'll be here awhile)

Cheers
Ken

You really should think about two. A Battle Mistress is a BIG knife. I am partial to the Steel Heart for that reason. If, however, you truly have purpose for the BM, then might I suggest a basic #3 or #5 to accompany.

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited 05-10-2001).]

I must say you are picking a great knife to use everyday.I have used almost every production knife and alot of custom knives and the busse line is one of the best,however I must respectfully disagree with some of the recommendations made here.The reason being is that I understand your reason for not wanting to stand out in the office or in public in that I spend alot of time in national parks and dont want to carry a huge knife around and get alot of attention.The Busse basic#7 in my opinion is xactly what you want along with a Noeldechen sheath.The #7 has the heft you desire along with abilities such as skinning and fileting.The knife is also more compact than the SH or #9.Go with the #7.

Ken, one thing is for sure, you will absolutely love your first Busse. And, as you have correctly concluded, that love affair will lead you to a second knife..... and so it goes, youre an addict.

I've not put it to the forum yet, not sure why, but I'm a LEO also. Ontario Police Dept., midnight shift Sergeant. So, greetings Ontario from Ontario! (up for a shoulder patch trade?) Of late my patrol unit sports a Steel Heart E with Leatherman supertool in the access pouch on my shift. Also have an Assault Shaker in the trauma plate pocket of my body armor. Dont have any Busse use on duty to report yet, but it's like all our equipment. You may not need it for months, but when you do, YOU NEED IT BAD!

My LT. is a SWAT cop/sniper. He carries a Steel Heart E in his drag bag (rifle case) to clear firing positions or pry doors open or punch holes in ...... whatever.

In response to your question, I usually trap muskrat, raccoon, and 'possum. Not for the money, just because I like being out. We have fox (red and grey), mink, and weasels.
The coyotes have moved in as well as turkeys of late. Oh yeah beaver have migrated to our area also. More whitetail deer then you can snort at. BTW I get this mental picture of a moose in a snare! Is that like a freight train on a leash? Is that the type of call you send the rookies on?

Thanks for the info on your experience with other knives. We all have a blade knowledge requirement here. Hard, regular use is the proving ground.

Be careful bro, feel free to email anytime.

Beav.

Hey Beav, sounds like homecoming week.FYI
I spent 11yrs in the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) finally pulling the pin as sergeant - shift supervisor. You know the old saying "when it ain't fun anymore..."
Been a C.O. now going into 3 years and love it. As a supervisor less time out in the field, but when I go, well lets just say I'm having fun again.Great thing is that my new office is only 5 min. from my old detachment so I can stop in at both for coffee.
Anyway drop me a line off forum, got MNR & OPP patches all over the place.

Stay safe American Bro
Ken

Back