Newly sandblasted Ti parts really light

The Logical One

Gold Member
Hi guys,

I recently got some Ti parts (pivots, screws, bolsters, and liners) sandblasted by a local company that specializes is sandblasting and black oxide finishes. I picked up the parts on Friday and the guy who worked on it wasn’t in so I wasn’t able to talk to him about it. But I noticed all the parts had a very light silver appearance to them. I figured they just needed a coat of oil. When I got home I blasted them with some balistol and it helped to darken them a bit. But compared to the typical sand blasted finish I’ve seen on my knives and other blasted Ti parts and it’s definitely a lot lighter.

I specifically told him to make the finish as dark as possible. At this point I’m kinda iffy about having them giving it another go. What I wanna know is, what method/material used during the blasting process dictates the darkness of the finish?

Sandblasting will produce pretty much the same color no matter what you do. To alter the color, another process would need to be used after blasting - such as anodizing. There's no way to alter the color of a material during the blasting by changing parameters - you get the raw material's natural color as it's being abraded by the blasting.

The grit can affect the appearance/surface roughness, won't affect the color. Virgin metal is virgin metal - it's always the same color.

Back