Next becker knife to get?

I got a Becker BK9 and the becker bug has bitten me.

I am teetering around trying to decide the next becker to buy. The 7 or the 2....I have the chopping capability with the 9, so I'm not really sure why I'd use the 7 when I can just carry the 9, and the 2 seems like the 9's little brother who can do what the 9 is a little too big for. Not to say I wont get the 7 in the future, but I have the Kabar Black USMC and that's a 7 inch blade, not really sure when or why I'd use the BK7.

I'm leaning towards the 2, what do you think?

There's actually a great thread comparing the exact same Beckers over in the BK&T subforum, if you're so inclined to check it out. :)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1379657-Helpz-plez

I started with the 9 myself, and then moved to the 15. Those are 2 are still the 2 Beckers I own, I had a 4, 5, 7, 11, and 14 as well but after lots of sitting around I ended up paring my collection down to just those first 2. The 9 is a solid big knife, does everything you ask of it. The 15/16/17 are well-sized, will do what the 9 can't and more.

The 2 is really thick and a beast of a knife, but if you already have a 9 I think it's a bit much. For the same blade length and similar price, you can get a BK16 with a full flat grind that has the same blade shape but is lighter, more user-friendly, and have more comfortable handles.

The 7 is like a shorter 9, it might make fine work a little easier due to being lighter and shorter, but ultimately you won't be gaining as much as if you went for the smaller and shorter route.

Personally, I would get a BK15 to compliment the BK9. Much smaller and nimble knife that can do just about anything in terms of feathering, cleaning fish & game, camp stuff, etc. About the only thing it would not excel at would be batoning and chopping. But, you have the 9 for that.

Now that you've got the 9, I'd suggest getting the 16, next - IMO, it's a better complement to the 9. You can pick up the 7, and the 2, later.
(Looking at your user name, you might like the 17 better)

The 2 definitely isn't anything's "little brother."

It's shorter than the 9, sure, but the 9 is far more nimble than the BK2. I suggest a 15 before they're all gone..

get a 5 and 15 while you still can... They are on the list of Becker MUST HAVEs and have been discontinued.... they are also different enough from the 9 that you don't run into the same redundancy issues you will with the 7 and 2....

If you have a 9, get a 15/16 or an 11/14/24 depending on steel and size requirements.
If you are large enough to carry a 9 and not feel the size, then those choices may be too small. If that is the case, get a 10/12.

You're more likely to get more responses on the Becker BK&T subforum ...
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/827-Becker-Knife-amp-Tool
Pull up a log closer to the fire and join us.

BK Rule of Thumb is that you will evenutally get them all but start with a Large, Medium, and Small.

Your BK9 fills the Large role.

For Medium, consider a BK15, 16, or 17. (The 15 is my fav.)

For Little, consider the BK11, 14, or 24. (The 24 was my choice.)

I would get the BK-10 or BK-16 (or both). The BK-2 was my first Becker. I think it's a bit "too much knife" and the BK-10 would be a lot more handy. My regular woods carry Becker is the BK-15 and pretty much all the knife I normally will carry. Have a BK-7, BK-14, BK-24, and BK-16. Good luck with your choice.

Why another 9 of course so you can...dual wield them! :D

Speaking seriously though probably the Bk16, it's a nice smaller field knife that compliments the 9 nicely.

Thanks all for the replies. Probably going to stick with what I got currently. I have a lot of shorter knives that can fill the gap. I have a lot of larger knives and I like larger knives (hence my name), bowie knives, kukri, Ontario RTAK 2, BK9. Probably next knife will be a chopper. I love choppers. Any good recommendations? Not too expensive

Becker BK21, price be damned. It is worth it.

A khukuri is the king of choppers, just get a good one from a trusted company like Himalayan Imports, Tora Blades, KHHI, EGKH(listed from highest quality to lower).

Back