Next Budget Knife Suggestion?

Current lineup that I have recently acquired in the last few months:
- Ontario Rat 1
- Spyderco Tenacious (wife took it for her EDC)
- Kershaw Atmos

I have been carrying the Atmos the most lately. Thinking I may want to get another flipper like the Atmos, but bigger. What budget flipper that is about the size of a Rat 1 would you recommend? Any other budget Hall of Famer I am forgetting?

My recommendation is the Kershaw Natrix (7007) which can be had for around only $35. It's a great EDC flipper; extremely light and sharp. One of my "budget" carry favorites.

It's a cousin of the ZT 0770 and 0777. I've got an 0770 too but its made w/Elmax and CF and costs about $200 NIB. The 7007 compares very well w/it, if you don't pay attention to the materials used. Can't say how the 7007 compares w/an 0777 because I've never touched one but, even if you could find one, you couldn't afford it. So don't bother even thinking about it. ;)

7007_profile_1020x400.png

7007_clipside-closed_1020x400.png

Last edited:
So far all good recommendations. I’ll add the Real Steel Megalodon (the G10 variant with 14C28N steel). There are plenty of larger flippers out there with great quality and not huge price tags. Check out Steel Will, Ruike, Bestech, Artisan, Real Steel, etc. etc. etc.

ETA: Civivi! How could I forget? IMO the best “value” brand currently out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo2
I’ll second the Natrix suggestion. But I got the blacked out G10 version with KVT and no assist. For a larger suggestion, the Ruike P852 is an amazing budget blade.

I just got a civivi wyvern a couple days ago and for $50 it's a very nice knife.

Cuts like a lighsaber, has a near perfect action, no blade play, d2 steel and excellent fit and finish.

My only complaint is I don't like plastic scales but I made an exception for this one, because I can see how it would have been hard (or impossible) to make that scale pattern in g-10.

By they way, this knife has a titanium milled clip that functions perfectly. Pretty awesome!

Civivi Baklash. 3.5-inch thin and slicy blade. Large, comfortable G-10 handle. Amazing action for the price, on bearings. Routinely priced at $42.50.

My recommendation is the Kershaw Natrix (7007) which can be had for around only $35. It's a great EDC flipper; extremely light and sharp. One of my "budget" carry favorites.

It's a cousin of the ZT 0770 and 0777. I've got an 0770 too but its made w/Elmax and CF and costs about $200 NIB. The 7007 compares very well w/it, if you don't pay attention to the materials used. Can't say how the 7007 compares w/an 0777 because I've never touched one but, even if you could find one, you couldn't afford it. So don't bother even thinking about it. ;)

7007_profile_1020x400.png

7007_clipside-closed_1020x400.png
Odd question but which is the grippier knife, the CF version or the cheaper version in terms of scale grippiness? I almost always end up with the cheaper version bc the CF ends up being too slippery.

I've acquired a couple Tangram knives recently. They are Kizer's budget series. The "Santa Fe" and the (Dirk Pinkerton) "Progression". Both nicely made. I gave less than $25 each.
61gOwlTnZ2L._SX466_.jpg
61fRutHKWnL._SX466_.jpg

I've acquired a couple Tangram knives recently. They are Kizer's budget series. The "Santa Fe" and the (Dirk Pinkerton) "Progression". Both nicely made. I gave less than $25 each.
61gOwlTnZ2L._SX466_.jpg
61fRutHKWnL._SX466_.jpg
The Santa Fe is really impressive for $25; I haven't tried the Progression. Solid construction, nice thin blade, and useful clip.

My Byrd Rescue is my go-to ‘actual work’ knife. I’m a big fan. I have the Spyderco Rescue Jr. as well, but usually go for the Byrd for whatever reason. I think it was ~$25 or so. Worth the money to me.

Edit: Missed the flipper part:/

I've acquired a couple Tangram knives recently. They are Kizer's budget series. The "Santa Fe" and the (Dirk Pinkerton) "Progression". Both nicely made...

I don't like thumb studs but the Santa Fe is nice. I have the smaller Amarillo and it's been an absolute gem. The blade is thin and wonderfully slicey. While mine only sees light use, it's been wearing the factory edge since Christmas and is still sharp enough to take hair off my arm. The Japanese Acuto 440 is supposed to be an improvement over 440C.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/acuto440.shtml

I'll also second the slew of recommendations for any of the sub-$50 Civivi knives. Having carried, used, and taken a few of them apart; I've been blown away by the quality.

My suggestion is to save up for 5 “budget knives”, then go buy yourself something really nice.

Back