nextstar lamps

received my nextstar lamps for my aa maglites today and am very pleased. My E2 is on the way and also thirty lithium batteries, things are good!!!! If you have a maglite, nextstar lamps are money well spent,night and day difference. may try lithium aa's also. I may keep my mag's after all. see ya

They are nice. Nothing beats a CR123 light though, be it a Sure-Fire or Scorpion or even a UKE 2L. But I have a Coast Guard Mini-Mag (a friend and fellow forumite gave me) with a nexstar bulb and I use it all the time! I gave one to our old apartment's handyman. Wonder if he liked them (I never heard abck from him)

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

I've been looking in local stores for the Nexstar lamps with no luck. dougy1, did you order yours? Where did you order them from? Does anyone know of any discount/department store chains (K-mart, Walmart, etc) that carry the Nexstar bulbs?

Thanks,
Paul

I bought mine on line right from Brinkman. I just went to this site and ordered 3 (6 lamps). I recommend them if you have a Mag 2 AA or 2 AAA light. It does eat batteries faster, but the extra light is worth it
smile.gif

http://www.thebrinkmanncorp.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&Product_ID=311&CATID=2

Brock

Uh Oh, Deuce, you are correct. The link I have is to the standard lamps. You have the right one posted, I better check my site to make sure I have it linked correctly.

Brock

Hi fellas,
Clay you are so correct, I got my E2 today!!!
VERY nice light. It is and does everything you guys told me it would. what clean, bright
light it puts out. I really didn't think anyone could make a flashlight without rings.
to the best of my knowledge this is the first
surefire I have seen except on the net. I'm very pleased I bought it. Now when my big lithiums get here, should be tomorrow or monday I'll be happy camper. Paul, I also ordered mine right from brinkmann, it really saves a maglite. see ya,

Doug

Thanks guys, I'll have to order some of these to pacify myself until I can get an E2.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

Paul, I couldn't wait and ordered my E2 from Tim Flanagan. Can't wait!

Ah lights! AS I have always said, you can't have too many knives or flashlights...

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Yeah, I'm trying not to even think about the E2 right now. That's why I spent 20 minutes looking at the Surefire website the other night.
smile.gif

I noticed on the website that they give burn times and comparisons for the E1, but not much on the E2. This has probably been covered, but can anyone tell me where I might find output info, burntime, and a comparison to other L cell flashlights?

Clay, Did you go for the hard anodized model?

Paul

For anything related to illumination tools such as Flashlights, and LED-Lights etc, the one-stop discussion forum is:

www.CandlePowerForums.com

There is loads of info on the E2 in threads just waiting for the interested to learn from.

I have an E2 (Hard Anodise) on order, and from all reports, the MN03 Lamp Module is 60 Lumens - a perfect pure circle of white light. The MN03 runtime is 75 minutes compared to the 60 minutes for the standard P60 (65Lu) Lamp Module for regular sized SureFires.

The SureFire website is in the process of being updated (a huge job since there are so many new products). There is a PDF file for the 2001 Catalogue which can be downloaded from the front page.

View

Or Brock's got a great site, and this is one of his photo comparisions:
e2-comp.jpg

Al

I think the 2L is almost too short to hold comfortably. No room for a spare bulb. I wanted a 2L for a long time, but was disappointed. It has been relagated to my fiance's glove box...

Now the Scorpion and E2 -- those are some kicka$$ 2 cell Li lights!

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

I am a BIG Surefire fan, but for most people I would recommend the Streamlight Scorpion. It is 1/2 the price and the beam is 90% as good (in my opnion). So "bang for the buck" of all the 2L lights the Scorpion would have to be it. The UKE 2L is nice , but the beam quality is about 50% of the Surefires, poor in my opnion. It really pains me to say that since my favorite light right now is the Surefire E2, it is such a nice light, small and excellent beam quality.

Brock

I would echo Brock's statement. The Sure-Fire E2 is easier to carry everyday as it is a little smaller and has the clip, the the Scorpion is hard to beat for occasional, glovebox, or other usage.

Not sure which I would take hiking or camping. Probably the Scorpion.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

I have a Scorpion, about five years old. One minor disadvantage would be that the rubber body sleeve wears over time. Mine has some minor cracks, but is still serviceable.
Real advantages of the Scorpion:
-The beam is comparable enough to the Surefires for us nonperfectionists. For the price, it'll do.
-Cheaper to replace bulbs, about five bucks for a pin bulb compared to about fifteen bucks for an entire Surefire "bulb/reflector assembly."
-In addition to being a little less expensive, Scorpions come with two batteries and an extra bulb carried in the light (since I only have a SF 8x, I'm not sure if the 6p 6z, etc. come with batts).

IMO, the Scorpion is a great deal for a "nonperfectionists" high-performance light. On the other hand, I haven't tried the SF E1 or E2. The E1's 90 min. run time off one battery sounds very cost effective, especially for folks who want compactness and don't need so much light.

What's the run time of the E2 with it's two batteries? I don't know offhand, but if it is also about 90 minutes, I think I'd prefer it.

BTW, I just had my darkroom flashlight demo for my self-defense class, with assorted cheap lights, LEDs, Mags and MiniMags, and my Scorpion and 8x. These college students certainly liked the power of the high perf lights, but I don't think they liked the prices! Maybe I'll post more on this later, as I think a good flashlight is the best "gadget" for the average person to have on them for crime prevention as well as other more utilitarian reasons.

Karl

------------------
"Celebrate the diversity of inclusive, self-esteem nurturing, multicultural weapons arts." Karl Spaulding, The Safety Guy

BTW, Boyscout, those photos are Brock's, not mine - sorry, I usually reference. I don't have a UKE 2L. Can't comment.

Anyway,

...With the power comes the price!

I don't have a Scorpion, but as they're peanuts, I may get one to see how it can handle the abuse I put the SureFire Millennium Lights through.

As far as I know, all SureFires come with 1 set of batteries (Duracell Ultras).

The E2 with MN03 Lamp Module is rated at 75 minutes runtime. It is an accurate runtime. Using Duracell Ultras, you get about 70 minutes of quality light out of it (that's my humble opinion, but I'd usually swap to new batteries when the beam starts to yellow)

The 8NX comes with two batteries and a rapid smart charger with car adapter. I think that's an excellent deal - much cheaper than StreamLight's 'offering'.

Al

[This message has been edited by Size15s (edited 04-19-2001).]

Thanks for the E2 runtime, Size15s! Maybe thats the next light I should get.

On the other hand, I'm going to check out the new 10x Dominator when it comes out. But I'll wait till they get all the bugs out before I spend that kind of money!

Karl

The difference between the SureFire E1 and E2 is so much more than one DL123A's length. The E2 has the best beam quality of any flashlight I've ever seen - Including my other SureFires. It's incredibily bright, it's white, it's perfectly round and the whole beam is flawless.

And the E2 is so small. The high quality light and the TailCap switch allow you to use it less. You require less runtime because you see more clearly. This means the batteries could last longer than a constant-on runtime. Also, higher output 'peak' is maintained for longer with momentary use.

The SureFire 10X is getting very good reports so far. Of course, it will evolve like the rest of SureFire's products. The First batch will be the pioneers. I hope to be amoung those early pioneers too!

Al

[This message has been edited by Size15s (edited 04-19-2001).]

Back