NIB review: Mule Team CPM20cv with Survival Systems Sheath

Here's a quick NIB review of my new Spyderco Mule Team. Details:
  • Knife: Mule Team 23. Steel: CPM20cv
  • Grips: Halpern Titanium 3D black/blue G10
  • Sheath: Survival Sheath Systems carry rig with paracord & small Tek-lok.
    • Note: I'm not on the payroll at Survival Sheath :), but they have a number of Mule Team knives, and the Halpern Handles. They can put together a package with the knife, the handles, and a sheath similar to this one.
Specs
  • Knife OAL: 7.63"
  • Blade thickness at spine: 0.118"
  • Blade length: 3.5"
  • Handle width at widest point: 0.634"
  • Weights
    • Knife only, with grips: 4.85oz
    • Knife with sheath + cord only: 6.35oz
    • Knife with sheath + small Tek-lok: 6.75oz
Comments:
  • Like the lightweight profile of this knife, but unlike most light/edc knives, this one with the Halpern grips is transformed into a blade that's comfortable to hold and control. The grips make the knife.
  • The sheath from Survival sheath system has outstanding firm retention yet easy withdrawal. Multiple carry options. The paracord rig lets you sling it under one arm for cross-body draw. The Tek-lok can be rotated for vertical or horizontal belt carry.

y4mPeKg5eV_AX6CP96cyhHtWhblAFhFRnQVJatO6HqvU5bDHnaftd9QOjgHakjcfnXwCR5V1wxA_Njn6HyVkNrB5Du2BLIIYMCiQeQL8ulCLbUTN9oMXcGJ7vmPysySYVVWN1KcXDz8yzTERpz3t0LbJki1yOYM5rwwuq5ML3IYBCxRBKM2_PaFWV2BcRJrysBnw4NUb30SUwOViQwvpWuufw

y4maDrkSMJ79rLRzOKRdWcerIVQ66JJ79wNcd7ECLcqyc-dbZexr2qwAYbOCv72sopB6y9SbBDUzZdYa4M1N4GAxPX2uSYeGeTM6IHWb4nsCFPG4UuN9GXNT5VUxsEGbA3_eUtv2Ng6NOpMGT-JRK4GA-kbihdwMJsSrKTjEbaihMM7LEXH_YEZRPdyYlWiwhcyBO-QMaUA7tWz8pyjb8QVIQ

y4mC_IqEHi0rHa917svntHDaFzlSPgasYVQzvWswQ3tIa55r12-Wr-nO0ZKXboB60SSvFf8ZjKZKkvf4HMTJ2UzVJha5XqbCesqyCRA2XJC5ewhNAG5NKWRXzH02VayRQigX4gU4D_QO0BbcGspYIvi2CzZCqamj0OAiLR2iCB7ZWzHOot0T2d-x_Pu6O7fCC_b4ZwI_y8Ezn8rOd9LR6SRAQ

y4mtr0YNPTKH5E_1AGCgk5UHuSJGuaDd740HxY_bfC_SSTnAT-anD9sHTb0M4FS1nWcu2kGoyngIVINV8bynNLAHh9KrLCqRMOH3tvOSxIlhIM46wrSYxTlfpLtsQ_ZSgBpEfSSY7hVQ5G_fTPalWE_sb-4sxR3r_katMeA4qRKWI9TRb9CLqElE0GmWReq0vF8zIWYGMMF8OhL5teagkCBbw

y4mGY1rC-_fuk3QdzMl4ejQtnLsvoLj1nD6jxeegF3kLsWwifEvmRgYUfCpV6vQu8TnA_dwQffPowG2IT3aUuSOxClcAPJtANQNvJjLOCa3WWb5aktCCkdslYVIdtgrQqF7siKz1N9w7C5HSmDCiHu_WcU8YcVieO8m_xsRcQJ-Gcei8jVEsMvM6Z0bNSFLlXQ0ZIH8MbgyUd-VdbhlhdKjFQ

y4mJPbsXvglRV0-Wxb9BajjfqHl6ADitYPF4KszegBSQw1ZF_MEZJ7BY_mc1XFa0N7z2srEt3nlSc3PNTu-mOY6LYCOWNoqPZrugatqNQ4sAxxehgSCTjRNQhhi0GTDWxcD9DvJQgzR9l0bfAlQPTUByTxeVwhq8zmjJAzC9B6EJR7amVziv4HinLqeL2mlpxBbgo3nQ3xtWFOQrwt6_jEEMA

Last edited:
Can you do a spine picture? Interested in the contours of the Halpern scales. Thanks!

Enjoying mine, same Halpern scales :)thumbsup:), but with the Spydie leather sheath. Whittled down some pine sticks yesterday, hand split some kindling and can see no effect on the hair-topping edge. Highly impressed with CPM 20CV.

Enjoying mine, same Halpern scales :)thumbsup:), but with the Spydie leather sheath. Whittled down some pine sticks yesterday, hand split some kindling and can see no effect on the hair-topping edge. Highly impressed with CPM 20CV.

Couldn't agree more. The super thin blade stock combined with the 20cv and the excellent factory edge, makes this an outstanding slicer. Had filet mignon steaks with the fam last evening, used my knife as a steak knife. Made the experience of eating the steak twice as fun, seeing that excellent knife go gliding through the meat like it wasn't even there. :)

still robert humelbaugh at survival sheath systems? has he gotten on track from his long delays and forgotten to make and send order days? if so good. always did quality work but was a long, drawout and frustrating deal.

nice review, thanks.

still robert humelbaugh at survival sheath systems? has he gotten on track from his long delays and forgotten to make and send order days? if so good. always did quality work but was a long, drawout and frustrating deal.

nice review, thanks.

Robert has built me a number of sheaths over the years, and 4 or 5 in just the last couple months. Turnaround times have been fast, he responds same day on email or directly to phone calls, and quality on every sheath I've gotten from him has been excellent. That's been my experience.

Here's a quick NIB review of my new Spyderco Mule Team. Details:
  • Knife: Mule Team 23. Steel: CPM20cv
  • Grips: Halpern Titanium 3D black/blue G10
  • Sheath: Survival Sheath Systems carry rig with paracord & small Tek-lok.
    • Note: I'm not on the payroll at Survival Sheath :), but they have a number of Mule Team knives, and the Halpern Handles. They can put together a package with the knife, the handles, and a sheath similar to this one.
Specs
  • Knife OAL: 7.63"
  • Blade thickness at spine: 0.118"
  • Blade length: 3.5"
  • Handle width at widest point: 0.634"
  • Weights
    • Knife only, with grips: 4.85oz
    • Knife with sheath + cord only: 6.35oz
    • Knife with sheath + small Tek-lok: 6.75oz
Comments:
  • Like the lightweight profile of this knife, but unlike most light/edc knives, this one with the Halpern grips is transformed into a blade that's comfortable to hold and control. The grips make the knife.
  • The sheath from Survival sheath system has outstanding firm retention yet easy withdrawal. Multiple carry options. The paracord rig lets you sling it under one arm for cross-body draw. The Tek-lok can be rotated for vertical or horizontal belt carry.

y4mPeKg5eV_AX6CP96cyhHtWhblAFhFRnQVJatO6HqvU5bDHnaftd9QOjgHakjcfnXwCR5V1wxA_Njn6HyVkNrB5Du2BLIIYMCiQeQL8ulCLbUTN9oMXcGJ7vmPysySYVVWN1KcXDz8yzTERpz3t0LbJki1yOYM5rwwuq5ML3IYBCxRBKM2_PaFWV2BcRJrysBnw4NUb30SUwOViQwvpWuufw

y4maDrkSMJ79rLRzOKRdWcerIVQ66JJ79wNcd7ECLcqyc-dbZexr2qwAYbOCv72sopB6y9SbBDUzZdYa4M1N4GAxPX2uSYeGeTM6IHWb4nsCFPG4UuN9GXNT5VUxsEGbA3_eUtv2Ng6NOpMGT-JRK4GA-kbihdwMJsSrKTjEbaihMM7LEXH_YEZRPdyYlWiwhcyBO-QMaUA7tWz8pyjb8QVIQ

y4mC_IqEHi0rHa917svntHDaFzlSPgasYVQzvWswQ3tIa55r12-Wr-nO0ZKXboB60SSvFf8ZjKZKkvf4HMTJ2UzVJha5XqbCesqyCRA2XJC5ewhNAG5NKWRXzH02VayRQigX4gU4D_QO0BbcGspYIvi2CzZCqamj0OAiLR2iCB7ZWzHOot0T2d-x_Pu6O7fCC_b4ZwI_y8Ezn8rOd9LR6SRAQ

y4mtr0YNPTKH5E_1AGCgk5UHuSJGuaDd740HxY_bfC_SSTnAT-anD9sHTb0M4FS1nWcu2kGoyngIVINV8bynNLAHh9KrLCqRMOH3tvOSxIlhIM46wrSYxTlfpLtsQ_ZSgBpEfSSY7hVQ5G_fTPalWE_sb-4sxR3r_katMeA4qRKWI9TRb9CLqElE0GmWReq0vF8zIWYGMMF8OhL5teagkCBbw

y4mGY1rC-_fuk3QdzMl4ejQtnLsvoLj1nD6jxeegF3kLsWwifEvmRgYUfCpV6vQu8TnA_dwQffPowG2IT3aUuSOxClcAPJtANQNvJjLOCa3WWb5aktCCkdslYVIdtgrQqF7siKz1N9w7C5HSmDCiHu_WcU8YcVieO8m_xsRcQJ-Gcei8jVEsMvM6Z0bNSFLlXQ0ZIH8MbgyUd-VdbhlhdKjFQ

y4mJPbsXvglRV0-Wxb9BajjfqHl6ADitYPF4KszegBSQw1ZF_MEZJ7BY_mc1XFa0N7z2srEt3nlSc3PNTu-mOY6LYCOWNoqPZrugatqNQ4sAxxehgSCTjRNQhhi0GTDWxcD9DvJQgzR9l0bfAlQPTUByTxeVwhq8zmjJAzC9B6EJR7amVziv4HinLqeL2mlpxBbgo3nQ3xtWFOQrwt6_jEEMA
Is it wrong that I'm salivating over how good the knife looks in those scales? I really hope that this knife will stick around until next year (budget is kinda tight, and I already purchased my knife for the year)

Is it wrong that I'm salivating over how good the knife looks in those scales? I really hope that this knife will stick around until next year (budget is kinda tight, and I already purchased my knife for the year)
Mule Team will most likely be around for quite some time, MT23 (the version with 20CV steel) is still available from Spyderco but might run out, but there's other versions with other steels that is also available at the moment and I doubt they will all run out before the next version is released.

Last year (2017) I bought two Mule blades from Spyderco, one MT20 in CTS B70P that is still NIB, and one MT26 in PMA11 that I put black Halpern scales on (bought from Spyderco). The later I have used a bit, including cutting plaster boards and other cutting jobs while renovating an apartment. I did get some chipping in the edge and I dulled it pretty good. I totally ruined the edge on my Enzo Trapper in Elmax while working on the same job (still far from finished), but scraping glue from a concrete floor can only be counted as serious abuse (using a heat gun is a much better idea I figured out after the edge had already been ruined :rolleyes:).

Back on topic, I really like the Halpern grips in black G10, at first I though they had too many sharp edges, but either they have been rounded off a little with use, or I have just gotten used to them. On the negative side they are quite heavy (for the Mule) and a bit on the thick side if I wanted to try to EDC it. On my MT20 blade I will make my own scales that will be thinner, not sure what material yet, micarta or wood.

Back