Nice Ulster

I havn't been into traditional knives lately, however, when I saw this one at an Antique store yesterday I fell in love with it. I just had to start carrying it right now. So it has (tepararaly at least) replaced my Cris Reeve Umfaan.

It rides in the pocket real nice due to it's curves and rounded ends. The blades open and close real smooth with good snap. Blades are in good shape and the handles are real nice wood, in great shape. I want to clean it up nice so any tips would be appreciated!

I have been trying to date it and find out about the materials used to build the knife. All I can find is that if it says Ulster Knife Co. (not, Ulster USA) then it dates between 1876 - 1941. I wold like cofirmation on that if anyone can help. Thanks.

Closed leanth - 3.5 in.
Lg. blade - 2.5 in.
Sm. blade - 2 in.

000_1314.jpg

000_1316.jpg

000_1324.jpg

000_1317.jpg

000_1320.jpg

000_1319.jpg

That is probably the most comfortable pattern I have come across. Especially with the wood scales. Nice knife!!
Greg

That knife is sweet all around melded. Ulster is also one of my favorite brands of older knives to sniff out. When they have not been abused they have great walk and talk typically.

Congrats on a great find.

Edited to add.

The dates you have seem to be correct according to LG III. They were based in Ellenville, N.Y. Ulster Knife Company was sold to Albert M. Baer in 1941. '41 to '43 under Baer they were Ulster USA. The company then became Kingston for a couple of years. A joint venture between Imperial and Ulster and then in 47 was under the name Imperial producing IKCO, Crown, Hammer, Jackmaster and other brands. I like to use them, but on the collector side the "Ulster Knife Co." stamped era knives are rated "High" in LG III value calculations of pocket knife patterns.

Last edited:
Very nice knife. No Ulsters in the collection, but I'd be happy to add one like that. I actually don't own anything with a swayback to it. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a new pattern.

Thank you guys for your comments. I think the pattern is a "Serpintine Jack".

That is some great info, Thanks Bastid! Is there any way to narrow down the date?

That is some great info, Thanks Bastid! Is there any way to narrow down the date?

that's a dog leg jack and a very nice knife. sweet pickup.

I am right now sharpening this knife. I have a question for you guys on sharpening old slippies. I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker to sharpen all my knives. It's has a 40 deg. and a 30 deg. angles. What do you guys usually do to your old blades for a good useable edge? It is going to be a user, cutting cardboard, plastic wrap, wood, other machinist type use.

I'd use the 15 degree slots but you won't lose too much performance with the 20 degree slots if you find it suits your purposes better. (Or try a different one on each blade to see how they perform for you.)

Here's a Dogleg I picked up a while back. Stamped F.A.Koch. I do like this pattern.
Greg
orig.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty strong similarities between those two knives, they may have the same daddy since Koch was a wholesaler and not a manufacturer. The spring pins look a bit off though. Great looking pieces :thumbup: . I agree with Blues as to the angles, although at 20 degrees it may hold up a bit better if you cut a LOT of carboard, which does a surprisingly quick job of dulling a blade, especially a low angle one. I remember one of my first bosses (an old timer of a chef) nearly had a conniption when I started cutting up cardboard boxes with a chef knife. Good thing he didn't have a cleaver near him! He was right thought, that edge was rounded in no time:eek: .

Eric

The only way I can do it is to check the stamp against Goins in case the stamp gives it away. I just do not know enough to do it any other way (other than checking with Bernard) ;).

Ooops. Sorry Fellas, the photo I posted is of a Winchester and not a F.A.Koch. I will have to fire off a few shots of it.:eek:

Last edited:
I'm with Kodiak on these. I didn't pay much mind to them until I handled one of these old fellas.
Greg

While we're at it, here is an HSB:
Oldies3-8-08023.jpg

And an Ulster:
Oldies3-8-08027.jpg

And here is a page from the 1886 HSB catalog with a two variations on the dogleg:
HSB1886689.jpg

And here is another page from that same 1886 catalog with an Ulster dogleg:
HSB1886708.jpg

This would be a great patern for A.G. Russell to consider? Around 3 5/8"?
Greg

Back