Nick Wheeler Prototype Fighter. "Oh YEA "......

I am NOT Jim Cooper, but this may give you and idea. Left to right on both photos

#2 Mike Starr Russet Scout sheath and Russet Sash sheath. (2 sheaths)
#3 Jeff Laramee Black drop loop sheath with Black Shark top and toe.
#4 Jon Klein Chestnut tooled and carved Sash sheath
#8 Roger Pinnock Black Scout sheath
#10 Greg Abousleman Chestnut tooled and carved Sash sheath

Sorry this took so long guys. ;)

The live colors are much better than the photos. The russet for instance is NOT yellow. The "splotchy" appearance on the chestnut sheaths will have all leveled out to one beautiful color by the time they get to you.

These will start their journey to each of you on Monday when the Post Office opens again. Thanks again for your support.

Paul

Last edited:
nice work Paul!

Man, those are beautiful. :thumbup:

Thanks for those photos, Paul.

As the two natural micarta handles darken, I bet those sheath combinations for Michael and Greg are going to look incredible. Hope we get to see both those again over time--very cool stuff.

Last edited:
Great stuff Paul - many thanks!

Roger

PS - two sheaths - what a cool idea!

Paul the leather work looks superb and is a beautiful wrap up to a fantastic project

Please everyone post up your impressions when u get these knives

I know some will not get used but for those that are going to use them have fun it truly will do anything u ask of it

Sorry about bad Lighting from flash

c5b9d232.jpg

Last edited:
I am NOT Jim Cooper, but this may give you and idea. Left to right on both photos

#2 Mike Starr Russet Scout sheath and Russet Sash sheath. (2 sheaths)
#3 Jeff Laramee Black drop loop sheath with Black Shark top and toe.
#4 Jon Klein Chestnut tooled and carved Sash sheath
#8 Roger Pinnock Black Scout sheath
#10 Greg Abousleman Chestnut tooled and carved Sash sheath

Sorry this took so long guys. ;)

The live colors are much better than the photos. The russet for instance is NOT yellow. The "splotchy" appearance on the chestnut sheaths will have all leveled out to one beautiful color by the time they get to you.

These will start their journey to each of you on Monday when the Post Office opens again. Thanks again for your support.

Paul

Excellent.

Paul, looks better than my minds eye envisioned! That black shark and quilted tooling in the middle is a great contrast on a solid blk sheath!

Very nice as always!

Jeff

WTF - mine's the smallest one of the group (like I haven't heard THAT all my life)

First of all - it took WWWAAAYYY longer to complete than promised.
"B" - I wanted a smoky hamon NOT Gunkote.
Fourth - that is not a maroon micarta handle.

Just keep it, Paul, I think I'm going to be sick if it shows up at my door.

Seriously, fantastic work by all the artists involved including Joe - thanks again - this has been one of the "best" threads ever!!!

WTF - mine's the smallest one of the group (like I haven't heard THAT all my life)

First of all - it took WWWAAAYYY longer to complete than promised.
"B" - I wanted a smoky hamon NOT Gunkote.
Fourth - that is not a maroon micarta handle.

Just keep it, Paul, I think I'm going to be sick if it shows up at my door.
Okay Mike, as you wish, and I have it quoted and copied in your very own keyboard writing. It's a shame because it really is a great looking knife and it was set for mailing tomorrow. Oh well..............:D;)

PS ain't photography grand? It can completely change sizes and colors just through angles and lighting. We all know those knives are identical except for handle material, yet my photo makes them all look different both size and color. As I said I'm NOT Coop.

Paul

the knives are truly scared !!!!!
I am a fan, they really are weapons and tools that exude strength and precision
j adimre the well-studied works like this
Nick Bravo
Joe Bravo
Congratulations Mrs. Paul, sheahts retention are awesome
Joe, tell me you have your knife with you in Atlanta for the balde swow, please, please, please

congratulations for this great project carried out for a hand of a master

respectfully
Sam

Michael very funny :)

Paul what did they take a whole day to finish up ...... Your getting slow :)

Sam I've been toting this one since I got it and if I am in Atlanta it will be there my friend

Thanks everyone so much

Chris- Sorry, this thread got piled up a bit, and I missed your second post. To answer your question, I started my first knife at 12, made a few in my teens, bought some equipment at 18 and got pretty serious by 20-21. Didn't start forging until 23. I'm 33 now.

Not to sound snippy, but I'm a bit perplexed by everyone's comments about my jigs. I've gotten several emails since doing Lorien's knife about my "expert jig making" LMAO. ;) :) Your question was finally enough for me to go back through the thread and see what everyone was talking about. And to be brutally honest, I'm STILL NOT SURE, lol. There's a little over a dozen things in that thread that might be considered a jig or fixture, and about half of those are in every knife maker's shop... like a guard shoulder filing guide.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not insulted or anything, it just threw me when you mentioned everything in your shop being free-hand. My gut reaction was, "So is most everything I do...?" LOL :)

But there were about 4 or 5 things in that thread that were pretty much BRAND new to my shop at the time of the thread... like the sanding station. All those things were either built while the thread was being posted, and some a few months ahead of it at most. So... not very long. :)

I'm sure you know piles more about machining, jigs, fixtures, and tooling than I do with the apprenticeship/job you got into!!! :thumbup: :cool: :)

Paul- You are amazing!!! :eek: :thumbup: :cool: Absolutely amazing work... :thumbup: :cool: :thumbup: :cool: :D

Thanks again everyone!!! :)

Thank you Joe!!!! :)

Last edited:
Nick,
thanks for the response. I think that the difference between your "jigs" and mine are that you put the tim and effort into them so you can use them for just about every knife you make, where as i cobble together something that will work for the project i am working on at the time and then it either gets disassemble or thrown away. i admire the time and effort it takes to make QUALITY jigs. I do plenty of jix and fixture making at work because i am dealing with tenths of thousandths of an inch tolerences... knife just dont get that kind of treatment... maybe the should.

i am working on making a sanding station like yours. and i finally got my workbench so it doesnt rock when i am sanding. all thanks to your inspiration. i appreciate your work, and just wanted to say that i admire your precision.
thanks so much
~Chris

Received my sheath from Paul today, and I couldn't be more impressed. Super light weight and compact but very sturdy, great friction retention--perfect concealed carry design. I can certainly see what Joe meant about the leather being such a critical aspect of the overall design. The knife is compact enough to be a much easier carry than a fighter bowie, but without a secure, non-bulky way to carry concealed its "big knife in a small package" design goal would be wasted. I like the little bit of thumb break Paul leaves above the top quillion of the guard at the sheath mouth--makes it easy to free the knife from the sheath with one hand. He also made a nifty little bead-and-string retention strap for me, so if the knife is in a case or pack I don't have to worry about the blade working its way free--considering how sharp these edges are, they could do some damage if the knife came loose. ;)

One more hurdle behind me in the never-ending quest to be like Joe! :eek:

attachment.php

Last edited:
"One more hurdle behind me in the never-ending quest to be like Joe! "

Very funny Will!:D

Will and Cal I don't know about the be like me part but I'm flattered :)

A proper sheath can not be to over rated

Either item is useless almost without the other

I believe that for concealed carry or even open carry the sash sheath is incredible versatile

This style sheath needs a certain length blade to really pull this off to short and not enough retention on the blade or staying put on your belt either IWB or just slid thru belt outside of pants which by the way is my favorite style of carry although thru out the day I will go from IWB behind the hip to just thru belt behind the hip or cross draw.

It is a free floating system that is very comfortable and secure if the sheath is done right this point can not be over looked a sloppy fitted sheath is dangerous and useless

I have found the Sam brown studs to be unsatisfactory compared to an over sized stud like seen on Wills sheath These studs over hang and finish out a great carry package and make for carrying a fixed blade in this style very comfortable and secure

I can carry a blade up to about 10 inches in this style but not withoout adjusting it while sitting and getting in and out of a car. The 7 1/4 inch blade of this knife carries like a dream never needs adjustment even getting in and out of the car I have been carrying this knife day in and out . In and out of office ,banks, restaurants and bars it totes like a dream and draws like greased lightening

Good leather is priceless

I just finished the sheath for Nick's "Lonesome One". In fact the oil finish hasn't even leveled out yet, but it will start the trek to Studebaker Road tomorrow. Look for it about Thursday.

Thank you, Nick and thanks to all of you who sent your knife to me for leather. It was a fun project.

Paul

Back