nifty hamon

Its a great thing when it all comes together. :D Check out this coooooooooooooooooool hamon I got out of my newest tanto. I'm very happy. :cool:

-Jason

Attachments

• hamon1a.jpg
    hamon1a.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 222
Don't you think "nifty" is mildly understating the fact? :) That's fantastic! I'd like to hear how you did that, presumably with clay or equivalent, but how much planning was the pattern? Have you done it enough you're able to control what's coming out? That's awesome! What's your steel?

Okay, I'll give up on the questions now. I'm sure looking forward to seeing the finished tanto.

Do you have pics of other work you'd be willing to share, even via email?

Dave

yeah, what ddavelarsen said :D It looks great and i would like to know how you did it also, what type of clay or whatever, and what steel it is also.

WOW! :eek:
I have no idea how to get such a cool hamon, but I think a lot of it has to do with two things:
1) Quenching medium
2) Polishing

Traditionally, Japanese blades are quenched in water, which is a pretty violent way to quench a knife. I think that's where that cloudy look comes from (of course, I don't know the Japanese word for it), and I think to get that you have to really polish the steel right, too. In any case, that's great workl!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Chiro75,
Actually, the grit is pretty low. A 180 grit, then fine scotch brite, then ferric chloride. That's it. It was actually pretty hard to get that pic to come out right on the digital camera, but it actually does look like that in person. Oh and I use a water quench. prefer water actually.

ddavelarsen,
Just getting back to working on the Japanese stuff (finally), but I can send you an e-mail when I get a new one done with pics. Will be getting back to the anvil this week. The pattern is made at random, but it takes awhile to apply. I just get creative with each new blade. Other side of the blade looks similar, but the one I shot was little more interesting, so I shot that one.

Terry_Dodson,
1045 (from 5/8" round bar) with Satanite. Clay app technique is my special secret. :cool: Used to crack a lot of blades until I got it just right. Too many to count, which was depressing, but sure learned a lot!

All in all, it was a mix of many techniques and tools to get the results I did. A very careful balance. Having +/-5°F max temp deviation helps too. :D

Back