NITRO V FELL BEAST RECALL

Huntsman Knife Co.

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well Boys, when it rains it pours.

The Nitro V Fell Beast run has been in circulation for over a year with no reported issues until last week when a customer had both of his Fell Beasts break at the handle during routine use. Before the run was produced, I tested 3 Nitro V Fell Beast protoytpes to destruction and they exceeded my expectations and there have been no other reported problems so two failures after a full year of use was some seriously shocking news o_O

Luckily, we have been able to track down the exact cause of the failures which occurred due to rare nitrogen inclusions that formed due to the HT protocol used. At the time these were made, Nitro V was brand new everyone used the AEB-l HT protocol with great success. We have since learned the AEB-l HT protocol can result in the formation of concentrated areas of nitrides and new HT methods have been developed to avoid the issue. The nitride inclusions very rarely cause failure and only caused a breakage in the Fell Beasts because of the perfect storm of thin stock, giant blade, and hard use application.

Even though Nitro V has awesome properties and its performed very well for me, until the HT for Nitro V is perfected, I will not be using it for Fell Beasts.

Even though there have only been two failures, that is NOT OK in my book.

Bottom line is, I don't want anyone's blade failing them so I am doing a recall.

I have already emailed everyone that placed an order through the website but because these things are bought and sold all over the forum, I don't know who may be in possession of one at this point so far down the road.

So, if you have a Nitro V Fell Beast Please stop using it and contact me so I can give you a replacement blade from your choice 52100 or AEB-l.

The replacement blanks have not yet been made so turn around time could be up to 6 weeks depending on how long heat treat takes.

I will also need you to send in the scales from your current Nitro V Fell Beast so I can grind them flush to the tang of the replacement.

Thanks,

Hunter

Last edited:
I have been completely blown away by the kindness, understanding and gratitude from everyone thats been affected by this recall. I truly have the best customers in the world. Thank you guys for being so understanding and encouraging. I would not be in the knife game without customers like you. Even though I provide the warranty, it seems like at the end of the day its you guys who have my back :thumbsup:

Not many people would actively seek out the "Why?" of a failure a year+ after production. At that point most people would (quite fairly) just assume user fault, and maybe replace the blade if the warranty, er, warranted it. To replace the ones that haven't failed yet is a step above and beyond what could reasonably be expected of a knife warranty!

Wow that's awesome that you're doing that!! Now I definitely would like to buy a machete from you!!

I’m impressed by the integrity of the maker. Hopefully I’ll be able to find a model that speaks to me so I can support hkc.

You're way past your deadline, with no further communication. Can you give us an update?

You're way past your deadline, with no further communication. Can you give us an update?

I've been sending out replacements and am almost finished with the recall. I am out of town this week but will have the remaining blades completed as soon as I get back.

He guys,

Wanted to give an update on the replacements.

I am a full time attorney now and have next to no shop time. I'm only able to work on Sundays and my shop is an hour drive both ways. Between the new blanks being the wrong stock thickness and most of them being warped, the scope of work for the replacements went through the roof. I can usually make 2-3 fell beasts on a good day. With the thicker stock, extra difficulty of grinding 3V, warpage, and having to make a new sheath for each replacement, I'm lucky when I get a single blade done during a trip to the shop.

I simply don't have enough hours to get these done and cannot make you guys wait any longer. So instead of replacements, I'm going to have to go ahead and give everyone a refund.

Its going to take some time as its alot of money, but I'll make sure that every customer who purchased receives a full refund+ a refund for sending scales in.

Thanks and Ill begin issuing refunds shortly.

There are a few customers that I have already completed replacement blades for and will be sending them out. I will contact you if you are getting a replacement.

Hunter I am sorry to hear this but I appreciate you and your honorable demeanor to issue refunds. I will always be on the look out for other offering if you have them in the future. Good luck to you.

Congratulations on the job!

I bought one of the Nitro V Fellbeasts from you, but I hadn't asked for a replacement, as I'd rather give it a go (even with a remote risk of failure) than have a 52100 replacement. I am also not inclined to take you up on the generous offer of a refund, because I do intend to keep the original blade. However, if you want to put some of that money towards the downpayment for my 3V kukri, then I won't stop you ;)

He guys,

Wanted to give an update on the replacements.

I am a full time attorney now and have next to no shop time. I'm only able to work on Sundays and my shop is an hour drive both ways. Between the new blanks being the wrong stock thickness and most of them being warped, the scope of work for the replacements went through the roof. I can usually make 2-3 fell beasts on a good day. With the thicker stock, extra difficulty of grinding 3V, warpage, and having to make a new sheath for each replacement, I'm lucky when I get a single blade done during a trip to the shop.

I simply don't have enough hours to get these done and cannot make you guys wait any longer. So instead of replacements, I'm going to have to go ahead and give everyone a refund.

Its going to take some time as its alot of money, but I'll make sure that every customer who purchased receives a full refund+ a refund for sending scales in.

Thanks and Ill begin issuing refunds shortly.

There are a few customers that I have already completed replacement blades for and will be sending them out. I will contact you if you are getting a replacement.

Congrats on the job. You’ve been going to school sometime, I’m glad you got into the profession you wanted.

I have a couple of these and sent back the handles only for the benefit of the doubt. I had used one heavy with no issues. Better safe than sorry I figured.

Thanks for being upfront and honest.

I’ve been using the parang most lately but your bolos are still my favorites. Excellent blades.

I am currently sending out refunds for the all the blanks made with bad steel. Expect to be refunded within the next 1-2 weeks.

I have almost everyone refunded. If you have not yet received a refund it will be coming within the next week. Thanks for your patience guys!

Hello Hunter. Hope all is going well with your new career !! After turning in my scales for your recall, I would like to get the 12" 52100 you promised me, or a refund,or my scales back. Let me know what works for you. Thanks Don

Back