No Military...

I am the proud owner of 17 {and counting}different Spyderco models, but to this date I don't own the Military. After reading everyone's positive comments about this model I have decided to purchase one, however there seem to be so many variations, I am confused. I'm thinking of the 440 steel in serrated edge? Any reccomendations from you Military owners?
Thanks, Phrede.

Phrede wrote:
Any reccomendations from you Military owners?

OK. Buy one. Then buy the other one (plain or serrated, whatever you didn't buy the first time).

Definately 440-V. ATS-34 is no slouch, but 440-V rocks! I generally prefer plainedge, but I think the Military is best in serrations. It cuts like a chainsaw. Either way you wont be disapointed. Of course one of each makes for a nice option as well.

------------------
"Those who trade essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Plain edge 440V.
It ROCKS!
'Nuff said!
biggrin.gif

------------------
My new bumper sticker:

Let me tell you about my SIFU!

I had the smooth version, butt sold it and got the Spyderedge. I consider the Starmate and Wegner to be more suited to finesse cutting/slicing, and love them in the plainedge. I will carry my Military when I have 'real' work to be done.

------------------
><CHINOOK*>
--
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult

I suggest the CPM440V plain edge version. It affords you field sharpening, and a longer blade life because sharpening it is so much easier and takes off less material. If sharpened with a non-polished edge (<800 grit final grind) it will exibit serrated edge cutting properties. If sharpened with a polished edge it will allow for greater cutting control for very precise work. The serrated version does not give you these options. If however you are buying the Military exclusively for defense purposes, only then should you get the serrated version, and in that case you should get the Civilian instead.

------------------
-thePrince

...and then get a black one - almost as terrifying as a civilian and a lot more useful
smile.gif

I bought the plain Military as both a hardworking knife and a last ditch defensive folder. The CPM 440V is incredible (I guess 420 V is beyond) and it took 20 ft of carpet or so to slow the edge down which was done with holding the carpet up and slicing through.

That is it couldn't slice through paper. However, sharpening it on a fine stone of the Sharpmaker changed that. I'm not a great sharpener and I like a hard steel that can retain an edge and sharpening was easy.

The only quirk of all that carpet cutting
was that I ended up cutting near the base of the blade and the liner tended to pinch my thin glove and rub against my finger. I would suggest the serrated if you're going to need to do work like that.

I do like the size and my pocket isn't really bothered by it.

I have a serrated one, but I'll probably get a plain edge in the next couple months. The Military is such a great knife, there's nothing wrong with having both versions. I think I might like a plain edge better, but it's a personal preference thing.

You might want to keep in mind that the Military has very thick serrations with deep teeth. Some people like a thinner edge with more shallow teeth, but the Military type serrations have certain advantages. One big advantage is that you can cut stuff that you really shouldn't try to cut with a pocket knife.
smile.gif
440V may be prone to chipping, but these serrations should hold up really well under any kind of abuse.

[This message has been edited by cerulean (edited 02-26-2000).]

440V is NOT prone to chipping. Just because it is a crucible steel with great edgeholding properties doesnt mean it isnt a stainless steel. The fact is that stainless rolls instead of chipping. Instead of having chunks come off like a high-carb, stainless simple gets a goober on the edge that you have to sharpen off. Thats why the secret to getting stainless sharp is perfect stroppage
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the great input. I have ordered the serrated version as I am expecting to this knife as a hard worker around the campsite.
Phrede

Originally posted by thePrince:
440V is NOT prone to chipping.
biggrin.gif

If you don't think 440V is prone to chipping you should check the May 2000 issue of Tactical Knives magazine. There is a Starmate with one heck of a big chip in it from a test they performed with a brass rod. That doesn't mean 440V is bad, it is evidently a quality of the blade.

------------------
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
**Blazing Saddles**

thePrince :

The fact is that stainless rolls instead of chipping. Instead of having chunks come off like a high-carb

This is the exact opposite of what I have seen and in direct contradiction to the material properties.

-Cliff

I've got the CPM440V. Since I bought this knife for mainly self defense purposes I went with the fully serrated version. This way the attacker will know and feel when he gets slashed. It's an overall good knife that fits the hand well in various grip positions. A little on the thick side and I dislike the shiny triangular-top pocket clip. I like low profile.

Back