No more brass rods?

I just received my Spyderco Sharpmaker from Amazon. The rods are a silver color. Did Spyderco change rods? Thanks

lighter, but not nearly as strong as good brass... I doubt it'll be problematic, but we'll see

I quit using the brass rods so many years ago that they have long since departed the kit.
Apparently I like to live dangerously. Who knew?

I quit using the stupid brass rods in my Sharpmaker a long time ago and I have only cut my hands twenty times since. Who needs them ? Things you should remember while using the Sharpmaker: don't pet the cat while trying to sharpen,don't watch the NASCAR race, forget stupid NFL football altogether, and don't watch pretty girls walking down the street. Follow those simple rules and you should be fine.

I've never used the brass rods on my SM. I've had the thing for at least 10+ years, and they've gone so completely ignored that I usually don't even notice them tucked into their clips on the base; they've just become part of the background. And at times when I have noticed them, they surprise me and I ask in the moment, ''What are those there for??" Sounds like I jest, but this actually happens sometimes. :D

I figured out long ago, if I'm cutting myself or nearly so while using these V-crock devices, I'm doing other things wrong, like going much too fast or using too much pressure; both of which come with a loss of control over the process. When working at the light touch and slow & steady pace at which these tools work best, the ceramic rods themselves are enough of a shield or blocking device to prevent any contact between my 'off' hand and the edge of the blade.

Ripcord and Obsessed are both correct but I am not able to get into and stay in the required zen state. My brass rods are all nicked, wouldn't dare go without them.

Ripcord and Obsessed are both correct but I am not able to get into and stay in the required zen state. My brass rods are all nicked, wouldn't dare go without them.
I use mine religiously. Only because nasty cuts hinder all my tinkering with blades and in my shop.

I think the first and last time I used them was some time in the late 90's. I believe I still have 'em in the shop somewhere just in case I can use them for other functions.

If they were 2.2 mm in diameter, I'd offer to buy all the ones that people have laying around.

Brass rod in various diameters is easily obtainable in 3ft lengths at your local welding supply, typically sold by the pound, it's called brazing rod!

just screw your sharpmaker to the bench or to a home made heavy base. That way to can pet the puss and sharpen safely.

Back