1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

No more brass rods?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Rreffner, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Rreffner

Rreffner

Sep 17, 2019
    I just received my Spyderco Sharpmaker from Amazon. The rods are a silver color. Did Spyderco change rods? Thanks

2. The Aflac Duck

The Aflac Duck Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Nope, they are still brass. You are just color blind.

mycough likes this.
  3. mycough

mycough

May 20, 2007
    I laughed out loud. Thank you for that.

Russ

The Aflac Duck likes this.
  4. mjw88

mjw88

Nov 30, 2016
    They switched to aluminum rods.

5. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    lighter, but not nearly as strong as good brass... I doubt it'll be problematic, but we'll see

6. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I quit using the brass rods so many years ago that they have long since departed the kit.
    Apparently I like to live dangerously. Who knew?

David Mary likes this.
  7. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Ditto!

David Mary likes this.
  8. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    I quit using the stupid brass rods in my Sharpmaker a long time ago and I have only cut my hands twenty times since. Who needs them ? Things you should remember while using the Sharpmaker: don't pet the cat while trying to sharpen,don't watch the NASCAR race, forget stupid NFL football altogether, and don't watch pretty girls walking down the street. Follow those simple rules and you should be fine.

9. I've never used the brass rods on my SM. I've had the thing for at least 10+ years, and they've gone so completely ignored that I usually don't even notice them tucked into their clips on the base; they've just become part of the background. And at times when I have noticed them, they surprise me and I ask in the moment, ''What are those there for??" Sounds like I jest, but this actually happens sometimes. :D

I figured out long ago, if I'm cutting myself or nearly so while using these V-crock devices, I'm doing other things wrong, like going much too fast or using too much pressure; both of which come with a loss of control over the process. When working at the light touch and slow & steady pace at which these tools work best, the ceramic rods themselves are enough of a shield or blocking device to prevent any contact between my 'off' hand and the edge of the blade.

David Mary and Craig James like this.
  10. airyq

airyq

Nov 10, 2003
    Ripcord and Obsessed are both correct but I am not able to get into and stay in the required zen state. My brass rods are all nicked, wouldn't dare go without them.

11. Hale Storm

Hale Storm Kydex Whisperer Gold Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I use mine religiously. Only because nasty cuts hinder all my tinkering with blades and in my shop.

12. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    I think the first and last time I used them was some time in the late 90's. I believe I still have 'em in the shop somewhere just in case I can use them for other functions.

13. Hale Storm

Hale Storm Kydex Whisperer Gold Member

Sep 18, 2013
    If they were 2.2 mm in diameter, I'd offer to buy all the ones that people have laying around.

David Mary likes this.
  14. Allan DeGroot

Allan DeGroot

Jun 15, 2019
    Brass rod in various diameters is easily obtainable in 3ft lengths at your local welding supply, typically sold by the pound, it's called brazing rod!

15. Hytekrednek

Hytekrednek

Jun 8, 2017
    just screw your sharpmaker to the bench or to a home made heavy base. That way to can pet the puss and sharpen safely.

16. Rreffner

Rreffner

Sep 17, 2019
    Thanks everyone. I am enjoying using my SM.

David Mary likes this.