No pix for awhile and I'm in a very foul mood.

pc.jpg

What was wrong with the original idea? ...use a Sirupati Uncle:D

Uncle,
Sorry to hear of your problems.I have worked with enough of this stuff to come to the following conclusions:
1. For most of us, our computer needs can be met at Target or Radio Shack.
2. There doesn't always seem that much difference between the crap and the cream -- you pay either way.

Buy a couple of $50.00 "Jam-Cams." They take very good 640x480, stand up to kids, and are cheaper to replace than a Nikon when they tube out.Mac operating system reliability is incredible. Mac hardware reliablity can initially be like a politician's promise. Give the new IMac about 6mos. to work out the bugs.
For digi-cam reviews I use www.stevesdigicams.com
For Mac use www.thecomputerstore.com, strictly Northwest, but have been only Apple from the beginning.
Or, just use a 20" Sirupati to clear out the whole mess, grab a sixer of Heineken, put your feet on the table, and enjoy a bit of peace and quiet.

Best,
Leo

Paxton,
Best pic. of Uncle I've seen! You have captured the "TRUE" Uncle!hee!At least someone else has a pic. instead of him posting that CRAZY DUCK!What gets me is the members "enjoying"me getting blasted by Paxton!Sigh, I guess I'm stuck with THAT DUCK!!
jim

Uncle, I feel your pain. I had a printer go bad and refuse any and all orders. Fooled with it for days, nothing worked. :mad: This is what finally fixed it, I think it will work for you. Picked up printer, slammed it on floor. Satisfying crunch. Opened window and tossed it onto concrete driveway. Second crunch was better than the first. Wife stares at maniac in her house. :eek: Go buy new printer. :D :cool: Drink beer of choice and relax.

Evil spirits had taken up residency in one of our cordless programmable phones at work. We finally had technicians, from our ultra high tech phone system providers, come to fix it after all our efforts failed. They couldn't figure it out either and came up with a free replacement. I purged the evil spirits from the cordless phone with our forklift. Very satisfying. Highly recommend.

Wolvesclaw

How can a wire just sitting and doing nothing go bad?

The thing has a memory card so maybe the reader is a cheap fix. I've got an old HP 8250. What kind of memory do I have and what kind of memory card reader do I need? I'll gamble to $20 before chop the camera to pieces.

Dëdë Bill,

Your camera takes a compact flash card reader. I don’t believe your camera has a USB connector, but, your computer might have one. If so, a USB reader would work on the computer, instead of a serial, and is a whole bunch faster.

You said you re-installed the kodak software, I assume you re-installed the twain mounting software, and all drivers for the camera? I remember getting very close to smashing my DC when I couldn't transfer pix, and then I realized (20 min later) that I hadn't switched the camera from capture to send:mad: :eek:

I would still try uninstalling the camera and all software (including Corel) again, removing the cables and reboot the system. Install all software again and attach cable and if all else fails.....Where was that picture of the duck??

Hope it helps.

Uncle Bill, take both camera and cable to a store that will check them out on one of their demo machines for you and tell you which of them is bad (if either). That's assuming you can't figure it out with the old computer you mentioned.

How can a wire just sitting and doing nothing go bad?

dunno exactly, but it has sure happened to me. LOTS. First thing to look at when troubleshooting anything from cheap PC crap to million-dollar instruments. I've seen very expensive wave-length tuned cables for high-power high-frequency RF go bad the same way.

I think it usually happens at the joint between the connector/plug and the wire. Also the wires are damned thin nowadays for low power applications. I recently cut a phone plug off a phone extension cable to try and splice onto my outside connection to test the line. There were no wires, they used a long strip of foil wrapped around a thread instead.:mad: :barf:

Kink that good or run over it with the Hoover and its likely toast. Now you've an idea how, but if I was you, i wouldn't be any less POed.

The shutoff valve in the water tank of the stool decided it wanted to quit working this AM, too. After all, I bought the stool all of three months ago and we all know things can't last forever.

If it were not for the Maoists I think I'd move back to Pala's ranch -- no electricity, no phone, no gas, no smog, no sirens. Outdoor charpi but a regular castle compared to BirGorkha, wood for heating and cooking, kerosene lamps for light, spring water -- no computers, no DCs, no television, no stool valves, no taxes, no licenses -- only a transistor radio played an hour a day to conserve batteries.

Where did I go wrong?

I think Irregular's suggestion to bring both camera & cable into the shop is a good one. Then, if a card reader is the solution, they should also be able to make sure you get the right one. And then, if neither works, you can excuse yourself for a few minutes, take care of the old camera, and then come back in and select a new one ;)

Originally posted by Bill Martino
If it were not for the Maoists I think I'd move back to Pala's ranch -- no electricity, no phone, no gas, no smog, no sirens. Outdoor charpi but a regular castle compared to BirGorkha, wood for heating and cooking, kerosene lamps for light, spring water -- no computers, no DCs, no television, no stool valves, no taxes, no licenses -- only a transistor radio played an hour a day to conserve batteries.

Where did I go wrong?

And a few years ago I even remember reading about an invention, a bit like a manual watch on a larger scale, which consisted of a crank that tightened a spring that slowly unwound and generated power - designed specifically for radios in areas where batteries are hard to find. Even with the Maoists, it doesn't sound too bad to me....

B>

The only drawback with the Maoists is if you don't give them what they ask for -- money, food, shelter, whatever -- they kill you. Not so bad for me but I hate to think about Yangdu getting shot at her age over a couple of chickens.

Pala has a permit to own guns. I don't. But there's plenty of game about -- including squirrels!!!!!!!

Back