No S30V folders?

From all the posts I've read recently, I was under the distinct impression that all the folders were now being made from S30V.
When I called Strider to check on the status of my order a few weeks ago, I was told that the blades were out for heat treat and that they were S30V. But when I received my AR yesterday, it was stamped BG42. I called and asked about it and was told that mine was BG42, not S30V.
I know that some of the S30V blades were stamped BG42 but they said mine was actually BG42, even though it has the black tiger stripes and the new Strider logo.
I also checked with a Strider dealer who will be getting a bunch of folders soon, and was told that they're all BG42.
I'm confused. Can someone clear this up? What happened to the S30V blades? Is mine really BG42 or is it mis-stamped?
I already had an AR in BG42 so I don't know if I want to keep this one. Anyone want it?

See:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=212000

Mick, on July 15, you said:

"All current folder blades are S30V.
Even though the last batch was stamped BG42.
We're so lame sometimes."

I am extremely frustrated by this. Matt Donohue just emailed me, saying the same thing that harrydog heard. He asked me if I wanted my money back. I feel for Matt, BTW. I can tell he's freaked.

I'm might be new to Striders, but this doesn't seem like standard Strider operating procedures. There must be some confusion, unintentional miscommunication going on here. Mick, what gives?

I would go by what Mick has said here in this forum. Get to using it and don't worry about it. It still cuts.

The knives we have are flat-ground S30V.

However, the reason I bought mine to begin with was the following that Mick and Duane have. Let's suppose it is BG-42; even if the blade failed, and that's a big IF, there is no doubt that Strider would fix it or replace it.

In all of the threads that I have ever read, no customer has ever implied that Mick was less than honest. The blades got stamped BG-42 and shipped. Mick admitted it and my belief in their product was justified.

Who knows. Maybe a few years from now the 'limited' number of mis-stamped blades might have collector value. After all, the first 100 are worth +/-450, so it's not a bad investment.

Heck, I wouldn't know the difference between BG-42, S30V, ATS-34, CPM 154, VG-10, D2 or what-have-you while I'm actually cutting something.

I agree with KnifeBomber: If it cuts; don't worry about it. :)

"In all of the threads that I have ever read, no customer has ever implied that Mick was less than honest."

I can't agree more. That's why I find this confusing. As far as the blade material is concerned, I could live with a BG-42 blade. The BG-42 blade on my Sebenza is great. Heck, BG-42 might even sharpen easier than S30V.

The thing that's frustrating is that Matt D was told he was getting a certain number of S30V ARs & GBs last Thursday. As a result of that info, I ordered a S30V AR and a SOE sheath for it. I mailed him a money order for a S30V AR/SOE sheath Friday morning. Today, he's told the ARs are BG-42. Matt feels bad about it. We have a deal, and being the good businessman he is, wants to honor it. BTW, I told him to keep the money for now. I want to hear what Mick has to say.

Do not be confused. I trust Matt Donohue & Mick Strider completely.

Originally posted by harrydog
I called and asked about it and was told that mine was BG42, not S30V.
I know that some of the S30V blades were stamped BG42 but they said mine was actually BG42, even though it has the black tiger stripes and the new Strider logo.

I cannot tell from your post who you called and told you this-Strider or your dealer? I have one of these ARs also, got it from TAD, and they insist that they are indeed S30V steel.

Greg,
Does your AR have a black spring clip? If so it is indeed S30V... That being said.... I dont get the difference but dont care one way or the other....If the knife is S30V, ats34, or any other Exotic Metal.... It has Strider stamped on it and that is a promise that it is the best it can be.... that said nobody called anyone a liar so let get rid of that now....In business you can only hope to get bigger and Strider has made some HUGE leaps in the last year or two...Sometimes things happen that you dont know about or cant help...That is the problem with getting bigger...However knowing Mick and Duane like I do if they can fix your problem they will if they cant they will take care of you some way some how ....

If it has the new stamp, its S30V.
Its actually been a long while since we have made any in BG42.

m

Mick,
Mine was shipped directly from your shop and I received it yesterday. It has the newer stamp, totally black stripes, and a black clip. It's marked as BG42.
When I called your shop, Monique(spelling?), after checking with someone else, told me it was not S30V. Were they mistaken? Was mine really S30V?
If you say it is, that's good enough for me, but apparently some of the people at the shop are confused about it.
One other thing. It was supposed to be bead blast, but it came through as striped. Any chance of an exchange?

Originally posted by Brandon McKinley
Greg,
Does your AR have a black spring clip? If so it is indeed S30V...

Yup, black clip, black stripes, and the new Strider stamp so mine is the S30V.

Harrydog,
I will bet money that you have an S30V knife. Any problem you have will certainly be remedied expediently. Just send the knife back with a note containing your concerns. If they don't have one in stock, a quick bead blast on the blade will take care of the issue. I would be willing to bet that the knife will be back to you in no time at all. Or, if you don't mind doing a bit of work, some crocus cloth or an SOS pad will add a cool result to your knife. The striping will become a shiny translucent form when rubbed for a bit of time. I did it on my BG AR and it looked pretty cool. Just another option.

Thanks Ryan, I just might try that. Do you use oil when you do it or dry?
I know that Mick and Duane take care of their customers. I'm not concerned about that. I just want to be positive that I got an S30V blade.
L.O. Little, I emailed you.

Just a suggestion: Can someone post pictures showing the differences between the "old" and "new" Strider stamp? If Mick says the S30Vs all have the new stamp, then people can make the steel type assessment by themselves instead of asking others. Does this make sense? :confused:

P.S. BG-42 or S30V I don't care either way. I like the flat grind on the current ARs but am thinking about picking up an older hollow ground BG-42 as well. The former for fine dining and the latter for raising hell. :D

New style on the top. Old style on the bottom. Thank Eich1911 for the pic.

Attachments

• stamp.jpg
    stamp.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 596
Back