Non intimidating car key chain knife recommendation

I carry a lot of gear on my key chain, just works for me. Not sure the correct terminology but I want to attach a small blade that doesnt look tactical. Possibly a bit arty/fashionable. Anyone make such products?

Recommendations?

One of my favorites (the kind of thing my friends made fun of me for but always asked to borrow it for openning beer bottles) was a Gerber Curve. I used it for around 7 years when I worked in the hospital to supplement my LM Juice. More recently I used a Squirt (needed a tiny pliers and tried to get away with a non-plier MT), but nowadays usually always carry a LM Juice in a belt pouch.

Curve-Blue.jpg

squirt-ps4-red-open.png

Juice looks cool.

Stockmen knives had it right, a built in tweezer and spike. Most useful accessory built into a knife and practically impossible to get.....knifemakers take note.

Last edited:
I like the Swiss Army Classic as well for a keychain knife. They are about as non-threatening as it gets. My biggest issue with all of these keychain knives is that when I want to use it, I have a tiny knife I am trying to get a reasonable grip on attached to an uncomfortable handful of keys. I work in and around a lot of computers, so the keys that can get caught on a component and break it or even cause me to get shocked, must be easily detached. I tried a mini s-biener, but it was too fiddly. I ended up making a leather slip that fits my needs. Easy to grab just the knife when I need it.
IMG-6110.jpg

If you fly commercially, a Utili-Key works:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Utili-Key-...6-ba10-4433-9109-b5be5e87f2bd&redirect=mobile

I think there are two options -- one with a partially serrated blade, the other with a fingernail file instead of the blade. I carry it mixed in with my keys and it comes with me on the plane. And, should TSA catch it, it can be replaced for $5. Plus, it has some other tools that can be handy.

Spyderco Manbug or Ladybug. They weigh almost nothing and you can still actually do some work with them.

Another vote for the SAK classic. Very light to carry and a ton of colors to choose from.

I find that since I generally always carry a MT on my person, keychain tools for my needs tend to be super rudimentary. Usually just a beater of a prying tool and a bottle opener (I drink a good deal of bottle beer). A Gerber Shard has been a constant companion for about 10 years. I think it's around 5 bucks.

For the most minimal of keychain cutters, I have really enjoyed my Screwpop. Pretty nifty design that uses a common utility blade held closed with a strong magnet. Plus the front of the tool is a decent cap lifter. I usually carry mine with a serrated utility blade for messy box duty at work. I like how the serrated blade just tears through things even when it gets dull.

The nice thing about the Screwpop is that if you forget you have it on you when going into a restricted area, just dump the 30 cent blade in the trash and you are left with a totally compliant cap lifter.

I usually carry mine off my keys, but I like it enough to spend another 10 bucks to get a second one.

Depends on what you're requirements are, but an Opinel #2 is a nice lightweight keychain knife for like ten bucks.

SAK Rambler is great. Not only are SAKs non-intimidating, they look like they showed up to help.

Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 is a tough little bugger.

Spyderco Ladybug and Manbug are incredibly useful knives for a keychain size.

The Buck 283 Nano Bantam is a well designed and inexpensive little guy.

A really funky little option is the Kershaw Cinder. They make one with copper handles that is just a great little key fob add.

Back