Noob question about leather thickness

Hi folks, I'm new to this hobby and I have a question.
Background: I made the pattern and assembled a sheath for my phone. This was a "proof of concept" kinda thing. I made it using 3/4 leather and it actually works. It may win the Hellen Keller beauty contest but it works and that was what I wanted to figure out.
Now my question: if I use the actual leather I intended for this project, 7/8 thickness, do I need to make any changes to take into account the difference in leather thickness?
Thank you in advance,
Ted

Kinda depends on your style of case. Ya got any pics?

Whats the other attachment, is there a loop on the backside?
Yes, it is. The idea is to have the phone sit on the belt diagonally at about 45 degrees. I had made a pancake style holder at first with the same result, it sits well in the sheath, comes out fairly easy but once on the belt the phone sticks solidly in the sheath. I'm going to try another idea and see how that works. I'll make the sheath and attach it to a separate strap of leather that in turn will have the punched holes to go on the belt. I figure if the belt tension is not directly on the sheath edges, that shouldn't put much pressure on the phone and the sheath.

Sounds like a plan. Ya can use needle nose pliars to loosen up something that is too tight. I have two different sizes that I use just for that. Stick em in where its tight and then spread the jaws. Might be worth a try too.

Thank you for the advice, I'll be buying a few long nose pliars today...The one thing I noticed in your work is the "ears" on the pancake holsters/sheaths are set a fair bit away from the middle especially on the ones with a diagonal slant and to my eye, that allows for the sheath to round on the hip and not put too much pressure on the whole thing. In my designs I didn't want to move them too far out but I ended up with something akin to half a pizza and a phone in the middle hanging on my belt.

I made a phone case very much like yours recently. My experience is that when you do your molding, you really need to add some extra thickness to the phone to compensate for the effect conforming to you body has on the fit. I wrapped it with about three layers of water color paper and it was a pretty good fit. Almost felt loose when not on the belt. The next thing is to go ahead and bend the tab to conform more with your body when molding. That will reduce the added tightness. There is a balance. If you go too far, particularly with the added bulk, it may become too loose. I prefer a bit snug. The last thing I did was to address how difficult it can be to grab from the top a pull it out. That is easily solved by putting an access hole in the bottom you can use to push the phone up a bit which releases some tension and makes it more accessible. Yours may have one but I can't tell from the photo. Last is to use a piece of belting or something similar to put in the back loop when molding if you have a tunnel loop like mine. An unmolded loop will put a lot of pressure on the phone when a belt is in it. A sewn on loop is more forgiving.

These photos show the hole and how much I bent the tab in.
Randy

Last edited:
I made a phone case very much like yours recently. My experience is that when you do your molding, you really need to add some extra thickness to the phone to compensate for the effect conforming to you body has on the fit. I wrapped it with about three layers of water color paper and it was a pretty good fit. Almost felt loose when not on the belt. The next thing is to go ahead and bend the tab to conform more with your body when molding. That will reduce the added tightness. There is a balance. If you go too far, particularly with the added bulk, it may become too loose. I prefer a bit snug. The last thing I did was to address how difficult it can be to grab from the top a pull it out. That is easily solved by putting an access hole in the bottom you can use to push the phone up a bit which releases some tension and makes it more accessible. Yours may have one but I can't tell from the photo. Last is to use a piece of belting or something similar to put in the back loop when molding if you have a tunnel loop like mine. An unmolded loop will put a lot of pressure on the phone when a belt is in it. A sewn on loop is lore forgiving.

These photos show the hole and how much I bent the tab in.
Randy
Thank you sir, that is something I'll look at on my next try. It seems that every year these phones are getting bigger and I wanted the phone to sit on the belt at 45 degrees or so. Now I see your sheath is sitting at an angle....need more coffee. I'm still learning, and that's a good thing.

Back