Not pleased with Emerson

I dont make this thread to troll, just to state how angry I am that 3 times I have been dissapointed with Emerson Knives.

I post this in here because I dont want the GP to see it and I wanna keep it around people who may be able to help me. I realize that due to people having different experiences or people having bias's I may not get any help. But, here goes....

1st Story: Bought a Super Karambit for MSRP price back in 07, the tip broke off while cutting heavy fabric. I chocked that one up to me being careless with a knife not made for utility.

2nd Story: Bought a used Mini commander in Satin. Blade consistently formed patina on the serrations, but some knives do that so whatever. But, the tension screw habitually came loose to the point where I have to tighten it about once every 2 days.

3rd Story: I figured I was just having bad luck, and I really wanted to like Emerson. I was in the market for a big heavy duty folder, so I bought a brand new CQC 11. It is a great feeling knife with awesome ergos. I was very pleased. The problem started when I began to cut a 1mm thick tin seal band. Every knife Ive ever had has cut through these with ease, but the recurve of my blade chipped in not one but 2 places....AND, the black finish has started to scratch off in only 3 weeks of ownership and light use.

Im sorry Emerson, I have to go back to Strider and Spyderco. A $40 Endura that went to Iraq and back TWICE with me has endured more than these EKC knives have and is still in better shape.

(( rules violations ))

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, how do I keep my tension screw at the level I want it without it coming loose? Loc tite?

That's very unfortunate that you had such unpleasant experiences with your three knives. Did you call Emerson and have a talk with them about the issues you have?

I've spoken with EKI on a few occasions about products, and they were very friendly and eager to assist me. Try giving their offices a call and see if they can help find a solution that satisfies you.

Here's their number: 310-212-7455

Best of luck.

That's very unfortunate that you had such unpleasant experiences with your three knives. Did you call Emerson and have a talk with them about the issues you have?

I've spoken with EKI on a few occasions about products, and they were very friendly and eager to assist me. Try giving their offices a call and see if they can help find a solution that satisfies you.

Here's their number: 310-212-7455

Best of luck.

Thank you, if they can resolve this Ill take the thread down. No need to defame where defamation isnt due.

EKI has incredible service. As far as the pivot screw, you want to use teflon tape on the threads:thumbup:

Too late. The FIRST thing you should have done is talk to Emerson. They have great customer service.

Not at all too late, for over $600 and still not pleased Ill do whatever I damn please

Last edited:
i loctite all my emersons with the blue.

sorry to hear of your disappointments.

1. I have no idea what happened with your kerambit. They generally have delicate tips, though. You need to learn their strengths and weaknesses, which are different from regular blades.

2. Emerson pivots are left adjustable deliberately. This allows disassembly for cleaning, and adjustment of the tension to suit your needs. Both suggestions are good: blue loctite or teflon tape.

3. New edges often chip, even though the company, the steel, and the heat treat are basically reliable. The problem is, heat treating the entire blade may leave the (very thin) edge brittle. Sharpen down past the new edge and you'll find better steel behind it.

Considering what the Karambit is supposed to be used for...you would think cloth would be ok...how "fragile" is the thing really supposed to be? Also didn't you sell yours off Glock?

I really like this point though,

2. Emerson pivots are left adjustable deliberately. This allows disassembly for cleaning, and adjustment of the tension to suit your needs. Both suggestions are good: blue loctite or teflon tape.

So many knifes can't be taken apart like that, it just requires a bit of prep to ensure that the knife is nice n tight before use eh?

Last edited:
Considering what the Karambit is supposed to be used for...you would think cloth would be ok...how "fragile" is the thing really supposed to be? Also didn't you sell yours off Glock?

I really like this point though,

So many knifes can't be taken apart like that, it just requires a bit of prep to ensure that the knife is nice n tight before use eh?

the problem with using the combat kerambit for utility purposes is precisely what makes it such a good "weapon". the tips are as close to needles as i think one can accomplish with a knife.

it is very easy to hit something unintended, and not even know it, when using it for more mundane tasks.

Ahh thats a good point. I guess I was a little worried as I have one of the Emerson Karambits on the way myself. I think this gives me a good heads up as to the limitations. I also have a custom fixed Karambit on the way which I expect might handle force impacts better (thicker tip).

Quick edit. I do take this forum very seriously and many people seem to like Emersons work - I appreciate the replies explaining how his gear works and what its good for other than hiding in a safe.

Last edited:
I've had some negative experiences wit Emerson's as well, the screw holding the thumbdisk onto my Super CQC7B actually came off when I flicked it open, so not I have a thumbdiskless Super 7. At least it has a wave...

That and it seems like Emerson's blades wiggle a lot in the handle. It's scratched up the finish on my Super 7 quite a bit, finally it got to where I hated looking at the marred finish and I stripped the grey coating off the blade and did a true satin finish on it.

Also my regular CQC7A has in handle retention problems, it doesn't seem to have a closed detent and if it's given a shake it'll come open. I've cut myself more than once on the knife as it's tip up... not cool!

sorry about your luck guys, i'm onto my 6th EKC and no problems yet. except I can attest to the strength of the kerambit tip when like a dufus i tried spinning it and stuck it INTO the bone in my wrist. still needle sharp though

ooooo........ that must have smarted! :eek:

sorry about your luck guys, i'm onto my 6th EKC and no problems yet. except I can attest to the strength of the kerambit tip when like a dufus i tried spinning it and stuck it INTO the bone in my wrist. still needle sharp though

So you are the guy tapping out my supplier of Emersons! I just knew it, trust a Fed. ;):D

Re the Kerambit, don't feel bad as I think that every person that has ever owned one has shed blood.

I've had some negative experiences wit Emerson's as well, the screw holding the thumbdisk onto my Super CQC7B actually came off when I flicked it open, so not I have a thumbdiskless Super 7. At least it has a wave...

That and it seems like Emerson's blades wiggle a lot in the handle. It's scratched up the finish on my Super 7 quite a bit, finally it got to where I hated looking at the marred finish and I stripped the grey coating off the blade and did a true satin finish on it.

Also my regular CQC7A has in handle retention problems, it doesn't seem to have a closed detent and if it's given a shake it'll come open. I've cut myself more than once on the knife as it's tip up... not cool!

Where the blade wiggle is concerned, it is largely a matter of finding the 'sweet spot' in your pivot tension. You would probably be helped with the Teflon wrap on the pivot screw to maintain your adjustment. As for the other issues, I have no doubt that EKI will have your back. Give them a chance. :thumbup:

I have had horrible blade play with every Emerson i have ever owned. If you tighten the screw the blade won't open, but if you loosen it the blade will wiggle right off. If you find the median...It's...ok. Compared to his customs, It's like buying the Hinderer Gerber, and thinking your getting the xm-18

I think they are super sharp, great looking blades, but i don't know why i keep buying them

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

Back