Not your father’s Buck 110

Okay, guys, I KNOW I’m preaching to the choir here, but bear with me and my late revelation. I just got a plain-edge Endura in a trade. What a great knife! This thing is exactly what I’ve been looking for for camping, hiking, defense/peace of mind, simple utility, etc.
I’m kind of a traditionalist at heart, so for me the benchmark of quality, affordability (which is important to me), and ruggedness, has always been the venerable Buck 110. That knife is a rock and certainly has been carried for work/hunting/hiking/combat, etc. as much or more than any folder. In other words, lads, I like it.
HOWEVER, once you hold an Endura, there’s no looking back. The Endura weighs a scant 2.9 oz., the 110 weighs a whopping 8. The Endura's blade is 3 and 15/16", while the 110's is 3 and 12/16". I can carry the Endura down in my pocket, in a sheath or, naturally, clipped anywhere I can think of (jeans pocket, shirt pocket, waist band, on my pack-strap, on my truck's sunshade, on my boot, etc. With the 110, I can lug it around in a belt sheath or in my pocket (but I’d better cinch up the old belt extra tight, 'cause those are 8 heavy ounces of knife). The Endura comes in ATS-55 steel, while to get top-of-the-line steel on a 110, you have to go the more-expensive Pete's Custom Shop route. And the Endura passes one of my most-important tests for a camping/hiking blade: Can if spread peanut butter easily? :) For me, the Endura is my new ultimate do-all, carry-anywhere knife. Sorry I’m so late showing up to the party, Sal.

we should all be happy because we have a wonderfull variety of knives to choose from these days - wasnt too long ago, the top of the line folders were a buck 110, and gerber FS11, i remember when kershaw first came out, got a blackhorse i think it is called - darned thing is thicker than my SIG .45 frame,slide - times have changed for the better - yeah the buck 110 was #1 at 1 time, and it wasnt that long ago - thsnk goodness for progress, huh?

SIFU

Hey, my father actually does have a 110!
smile.gif
It's a cool knife, but he's always impressed by the Spydercos I show him. In fact, he currently carries a Spyderco I bought for him a couple of years ago, while I haven't seen him carry the 110 for at least a couple of decades.

------------------
Cerulean

"The hairy-armed person who figured out how to put an edge on a suitable rock made it possible for us to be recognizably human in the first place." - J.K.M.

[This message has been edited by cerulean (edited 05-16-2001).]

Back