NOTABLE PAIRS : Only traditionals

5jSm4UW.jpg

ZiMuhgb.jpg

These two Cowboy Toothpicks are making their way to Australia as we type.

For a brother and sister, Christmas presents:

PpPewTp.jpg

Same knife model, my Cowboy but different handle treatments:

roo2OgQ.jpg

o3gkXbP.jpg

Elk and sheep horn, with both having an ironwood spacer:

Nz86sZU.jpg

hTIYARn.jpg

And for some unfathomable reason the only pic of them together is the first one in their sheaths.

Last edited:
Top: A Remington repro by GEC for SMKW in 2021 - Remington Prospector R7352
Bottom: A Remington repro by Camillus for Remington in 1991 - Remington Mini Trapper R1178

View attachment 2462340
It's nice how different these two are in their interpretations of classic Rems :thumbsup: They both work well and look great together, however, the Camillus has the superior bone&jigging in my view.

Thought I'd use this as a review of two knives;

A Tale of Two Cities - Sheffield / Thiers

Both of these are straight edged blades, a Lamb Foot from Wright, Sheffield and a Tire-droit from Parapluie à L'epreuve, Thiers. Scales: Camelbone undyed, Horn- more striped on the pile side. Steel carbon? Carbon XC75. Liners: Brass, Steel. Bolster: Single, lined NS. Double, threaded, NS.

Approx dimensions: Sheffield: 82g. Open 16.4cm, closed 9.3cm, cutting edge 6.4cm. Thiers: 63g. Open 16.7cm.Closed 9cm. cutting edge 7cm.

Pull strength: Sheffield 8.5, Thiers 7. Both can be pinched open but the Sheffield took a took a lot of running in to achieve this, very stiff action at first. Both knives are cam with no irritating half-stop but there's a fundamental difference. The Sheffield has a kick to the blade thus it has walk and talk. The Thiers in common with many French traditional, doesn't, so it must be guided home not snapped-it's a good idea to put a piece of soft wood, leather or cork in the well to stop blade damage. No use moaning about this, it's just how it is- would you complain that a manual box car can't be shifted without a clutch? Same thing, a design.

Remarks: Despite being both straights, they are quite unalike. The Lamb Foot tapers to the tip whereas the Tire-droit flares out and is a far broader blade. No idea what Wright's carbon steel is but it is likely similar to equivalent French or German carbon steels. However, in terms to taking an edge and retaining it, it is certainly inferior to the French steel particularly in slicing, this may be due to the thicker blade stock of the knife.

In general the finish on the Sheffield is higher but this is a kind of special LF, no gaps, very well hafted slabs, flush pins. The Thiers is more rudimentary but still very tough, some gapping and the Horn is of the inexpensive type but well fitted. Neither knife has even a hint of blade play and both are well centred. It boils down to personal preference, the Sheffield is a Swayback frame, the Thiers a much slimmer Equal End. The French knife is from my POV much the better in the hand, giving far better comfort & control as it is rounded. The blade has more cutting edged opens more easily. Take a large Apple, quarter it and core it and you'll see a big difference in performance. Thiers wins. The Sheffield is one third heavier which for many might be an attraction.

Both are notable in that I like both and they're staying in the collection and they offer different approaches as single blade straight knives. Your preferences/needs may well be different.

OhAf2yX.jpg

udRyE2x.jpg

Back