Nothing like a good BBQ

The neighbours decided to put on a barby on Saturday and invite just about everyone in the district. The wife and I threw some beer in the truck and drove over about lunch time. They had 3 barbys going and a whoe lot of people there. I wandered over to a group of the good ol' boys from around the district and we started drinking beer and talking the bull**** that you do. Somebody had some roo they'd just shot so we tried that, (not really my thing), and somebody else had some deer that they just got as well. That wasn't too bad, they'd marinated it in something which was pretty good.

The fun part came when one of the guys got out a miniature cannon that they had. It was either a replica or a genuine small cannon from a British 19th century warship. It was about 1 metre long and the bore was about 5 centimetres in diameter. They loaded it up with powder and wadding and fired it a few times. Bloody loud! Great fun.

I even managed to get a conversation going about knives. They seemed pretty impressed with the Sebbie.

We left about 2:00am Sunday morning and it was still going. I don't remember how but I managed to navigate the truck back along the track and through four gates. About the only thing I remember of that was my wife telling me that I was going too fast and why don't I turn the bloody lights on.

I felt very very used when I woke up later on Sunday morning.

Spring is just starting for you guys, right? Thanks for reminding me... :grumpy: :D

It's been cool and cloudy here. Mixed snow and rain is predicted for this week. Football tailgating is about the closest most people will get to BBQ for another six months. Although there are a few hearty souls who fire up their grill in January in an attempt to stave off cabin fever. Oh yeah, and some people deep fry their holiday bird outside, so that counts, I guess.

:)

tarsier said:
It's been cool and cloudy here. Mixed snow and rain is predicted for this week.
We had 70 degrees and sunny skies here in northern New Jersey this happy Halloween. Good thing they postponed our Halloween parade from yesterday's drizzle and fog. :D

I have a Cousin in Austrialia That just recently moved up north for the warmth.I didn't know you can eat roo what does it taste like?

Eagleblade said:
I have a Cousin in Austrialia That just recently moved up north for the warmth.I didn't know you can eat roo what does it taste like?
Too bloody warm up there for me.

Bit difficult to describe, nothing I can really compare it to other than saying it's a little "gamey" like perhaps deer might be. It's somewhat tough and chewy if not done right. Not to my taste.

Kangaroo is terrific meat. It can taste gamey and smell quite strong if its not bled properly. (At least thats what I put it down to...) It tastes great with a spicey plum sauce, and is excellent served with couscous. Another great idea is to make a slightly curried hotpot and cook it slowly for ages. Its one of my favourite meats, although my wife isn't keen on it.

Acolyte.

PS it also makes great pies, with roo and carrot.

gajinoz said:
The neighbours decided to put on a barby on Saturday and invite just about everyone in the district. The wife and I threw some beer in the truck and drove over about lunch time. They had 3 barbys going and a whoe lot of people there. I wandered over to a group of the good ol' boys from around the district and we started drinking beer and talking the bull**** that you do. Somebody had some roo they'd just shot so we tried that, (not really my thing), and somebody else had some deer that they just got as well. That wasn't too bad, they'd marinated it in something which was pretty good.

The fun part came when one of the guys got out a miniature cannon that they had. It was either a replica or a genuine small cannon from a British 19th century warship. It was about 1 metre long and the bore was about 5 centimetres in diameter. They loaded it up with powder and wadding and fired it a few times. Bloody loud! Great fun.

I even managed to get a conversation going about knives. They seemed pretty impressed with the Sebbie.

We left about 2:00am Sunday morning and it was still going. I don't remember how but I managed to navigate the truck back along the track and through four gates. About the only thing I remember of that was my wife telling me that I was going too fast and why don't I turn the bloody lights on.

I felt very very used when I woke up later on Sunday morning.

Are you an Australian by any chance? ;)

Back