November Becker Challenge!

DerekH

Handsome According to my Mother
Alright folks, talked to the boss and we are gonna get the next contest goin.

For this contest, the challenge is to build a camp. Now, not all camps are done the same way, so we are gonna line out some specifications for what we are after. For this contest, you must make 3 total items typical of a basecamp. For instance, a bed, a chair, a table, a shelf, a kitchen rack for hanging pots over the fire, a tripod for cooking, a shelter, etc... any combination of those items to make three in total. But wait, there's more...

No cordage allowed. No paracord, no rope, no string, no fishing line, no duct tape, no wire.

You are not required to stay in the camp.

I am not going to give away the answers, but there are ways to do this using other items and other techniques that will enable one to get by without cordage. No hints, no questions will be answered when asked "Hey can I use this because technically it isn't cordage..." You should be able to understand the intent.

These three camp creations must have pics showing how they were made using a Becker knife, but you may use other tools as well, so long as the Becker knife features prominently into the construction of your creations.

Now for the disclaimer: neither myself, nor Ethan Becker or his associates, nor KaBar, Cutco, or any subsidiaries, nor Blafeforums, nor any other other entities are liable for any injury you may incur during participation in this contest. Any and all injuries are the sole responsibility of the participant and no one is required in any way to participate.

The contest will run through November 30th at 12PM Eastern time. Should there be fewer than three participants, the entire contest may be cancelled at the discretion of Ethan.

The prize will be an Ethan Becker signed BK16 and Coyote Kydex pancake sheath from Azwelke.

Becker Knives work for a living. Show us how.

(As per usual, I have this tendency to have one thing lead into another. Participating in this contest, even if you do not win, may afford greater and better opportunities down the road. Hint Hint.)

you would have to operate the computer with a Becker knife -- give hunt and peck new meaning.......

Computer nothing, Playstation 3. I could do a chopsticks sort of thing with a couple of Becker knives on a keyboard, but there's not a hope in the world for thumb analog sticks.

I've started on a little camp area by the pond. This is how it looked upon starting this challenge, pretty much how I left it after Memorial Day. Just a wood pile, wheel rim fire pit, and a sandstone table.
Od9vU5Th.jpg

The tools: Machaxe, Wetterlings axe, oak mallet, folding saw, and an old hand brace with a few rusty drill bits.
4R2Kv5Nh.jpg

Item One
I threw a scrap end of an oak beam out there over the summer with the intention of making a bench. That will be the first item to build today. First, I need to drill some holes.
Qocq6MOh.jpg

I made some dowels with the machaxe and used them to attach some legs to the bench
knORisih.jpg

and draw knifed the corners.
6H2hPePh.jpg

Item Two
The fire pit could use a heavy duty pot hanger. I cut and sharpened some posts with the axe.
LIKVvRfh.jpg

I cut another stick with the machax and baton
ETMUIdhh.jpg

and notched it.
yJptoHzh.jpg

I drilled them and attached the top piece to the posts with wooden pegs.
CeNe60Xh.jpg

Finished up with a forked stick and pot hanger notches.
XlAfO6zh.jpg

ZMcek3qh.jpg

Item Three
Now I need to clean up the leaves and twigs and shavings and get them away from the fire area. A forked stick cut with the machax makes a decent rake.
ZUHKX7Zh.jpg

All clean and ready to use.
]

I've started on a little camp area by the pond. This is how it looked upon starting this challenge, pretty much how I left it after Memorial Day. Just a wood pile, wheel rim fire pit, and a sandstone table.
Od9vU5Th.jpg

The tools: Machaxe, Wetterlings axe, oak mallet, folding saw, and an old hand brace with a few rusty drill bits.
4R2Kv5Nh.jpg

Item One
I threw a scrap end of an oak beam out there over the summer with the intention of making a bench. That will be the first item to build today. First, I need to drill some holes.
Qocq6MOh.jpg

I made some dowels with the machaxe and used them to attach some legs to the bench
knORisih.jpg

and draw knifed the corners.
6H2hPePh.jpg

Item Two
The fire pit could use a heavy duty pot hanger. I cut and sharpened some posts with the axe.
LIKVvRfh.jpg

I cut another stick with the machax and baton
ETMUIdhh.jpg

and notched it.
yJptoHzh.jpg

I drilled them and attached the top piece to the posts with wooden pegs.
CeNe60Xh.jpg

Finished up with a forked stick and pot hanger notches.
XlAfO6zh.jpg

ZMcek3qh.jpg

Item Three
Now I need to clean up the leaves and twigs and shavings and get them away from the fire area. A forked stick cut with the machax makes a decent rake.
ZUHKX7Zh.jpg

All clean and ready to use.
]

Man, that's the baton of Thor! Nice entry shadow!

Good entry SS. Curious why this thread isn't full of entries... This is a great contest!

November all my free time is deer hunting. Great contest and I would love to enter but unfortunately I keep seeing more coyotes than deer. :( If I get this tag filled I will try to put an entry together. :)

Went to Eagle River to go camping, wasn't sure if I was going to do this challenge but it was in the back of my mind for the morning.
5H6cZ32.jpg

PCPGJU7.jpg

fw7TYVx.jpg

On the drive up to Alaska I picked this up for a special occasion.
ZOLd18k.jpg

Was pretty cold, this broke when I accidentally kicked it in the morning.
svkQRqk.jpg

Gathered some materials.
pPclv1T.jpg

CVgMs9d.jpg

Made a bed after trimming them with the BK12 for object 1.
JILtRf2.jpg

Noticed that the screws were loose, so I made a hex key for object 2. It didn't save all the hardware, but it saved the handle from blowing apart. I'll have to run to home depot here soon.
xJBG3Mu.jpg

The missing hardware on display here.
kL9HxJz.jpg

Made a little nightstand, or table, whatever it needs to be I suppose. Object 3.
aA3fHgr.jpg

gmy1hYc.jpg

On hold until more entries show up. Current entrants may modify/change their entries as they wish until such time when more entries show up. Or we cancel the contest. Etc...

Back