• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Now 4 Knives! with price drop on a few

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few kitchen knives to offer this week!

The first knife is the longest knife I have made to date, and is what I would call a brisket slicer. Made for all around slicing! The edge geometry is amazing, as it is basically a microbevel on a zero ground full flat grind! The steel is thin stock 52100 ball bearing steel with all the bells and whistles in heat treatment, including normalizing and cycling to make sure of a very fine and homogeneous microstructure, as well as a DET anneal, sub zero quench, and triple tempering. Final hardness is ~63HRC. The handle is Claro Walnut with a lanyard hole, just for fun. Both the blade and handle are 1200 grit. Balance point is about a half inch in front of the handle.

mHOPaO8.jpg

QrbFQna.jpg

OAL: 14 1/2"
Blade: 10"
Handle: 4 1/2"
Thickness: 0.085", slight taper to tip
Steel: 52100 ~63HRC
Edge: 12° per side, 6 micron
Price: $250
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The second is a cool looking kitchen utility slicer with an American tanto tip (that is sharpened). I love the way this thing looks and feels in the hand. The steel is A2 tool steel, but I wanted to run this knife harder than usual. After "cryo" and triple tempers, the hardness is about 65HRC! The handle is Claro walnut with a "D" shape favoring the right hand. It feels just as nice in the left hand, tho! It is super light and super "slicey" with the full flat grind that terminates into very thin edge geometry. While not stainless, A2 will resist corrosion better than other low alloy carbon steels.

uxbZLSK.jpg

8uh4jcw.jpg

OAL: 11"
Blade: 6 1/4"
Handle: 4 3/4"
Thickness: 0.062"
Steel: A-2 tool steel 65HRC
Edge: 13° per side, 6 micron
Price: $199 (was $225)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The third knife is a knife that I have been using in the kitchen the past few months to get a quick feel for a steel that has such a picture-painting name of 1.2562! Well, that is the DIN designation for it, but us knife makers have nicknamed it "Ultra Blue" because it is basically Blue Super steel on steroids! After hardening and a "cryo" quench, I only tempered this at 200°F twice for 2 hours each. The final hardness is basically "as quenched", about 67HRC!! I haven't abused it, but it holds an edge exceptionally well! Shawn aka "Big Brown Bear" was kind enough to let me try a piece of this stuff, and the small piece limited options on what kind of knife I could make with it. This small "Nakiri" (sort of) is what came about. The handle is black G10. The full flat grind basically terminates in a "zero" edge with a microbevel. Even though the spine is 0.110" thick, the tall blade allowed for good slicing ability. I have placed an order for more of this steel, so look out in the future for more knives from me in "Ultra Blue"!

xNzBPlE.jpg

i2jh6C0.jpg

OAL: 10"
Blade: 5"
Handle: 5"
Thickness: 0.110"
Steel: 1.2562 aka "Ultra Blue" 67HRC!!!
Edge: 13°
Price: $199 (was $225)
------------------------------------------------------------------

The fourth knife is a paring knife made from 1/16" 1095 that also has an American tanto tip like the A2 utility above. This thing is extremely light, one of the lightest knives I have ever held. The full flat grind is THIN, very thin. The blade tapers to the tip and has a little flex to it. Heat treatment consisted of normalizing, cycling, DET anneal, short soak at temp, quench, and double tempers at 300° for a hardness of about 64HRC. These low alloy carbon steels have superb "edge stability" with high hardness levels and offer decent edge retention. The handle is purple heart treated with TruOil. I really dig this profile, and that A2 slicer above.

7XFyCcy.jpg

0EYy0OF.jpg

OAL: 8 1/2"
Blade: 4 1/2"
Handle: 4"
Thickness: 1/16"
Steel: 1095 64HRC
Edge: 12° per side 6 micorn
Price: $139 (was $165)

Paypal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). My email is the same, in case you would like to contact me that way. All knives have free shipping included anywhere in the USA, as well as a plastic edge guard. All knives, as usual, come with a life time unlimited warranty. I just ask that you keep in mind that 52100, 1095, A2, and 1.2562 tool steel are not stainless, and will require simple maintenance to keep rust from forming. Basically you just wipe it dry when done using! Also, please keep in mind these are the furthest from the proverbial "sharpened pry bar". The knives have thin stock, thin grinds, thin edges, and hard steel for slicing ability and overall improved edge retention. You might keep clear of frozen foods and cutting through bone, as well as torquing the edge in harder foods. Recommend you use a wooden or plastic cutting board. Thank you for taking a look, and follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back