Now I get it

FTR-14c

Gold Member
I'm more of a fixed blade guy and have a few middle of the road folders but nothing special. With all the good things I hear about Spyderco I decided to give them a try. I did some shopping around and found a Military and Southard at a great price. They just arrived today and I am totally blown away with these knives. I finally get what all the craze is about.

Last edited:
Won't be your last.
Definitely not. For a knife this size, I cant get over how light the Military is, it's like a feather. I've been wearing it around the house and forgot it is there. I am also impressed with the blade shape and taper. I can't wait to get my hands on a ParaMilitary, its no wonder they are sold out everywhere.

Dude are you joking........no pics?

Any way, (ima dork..) congrats on two fine knives!

I'm the opposite. I'm a folder kinda guy, and I've never owned a fixed blade, nor do I really want one. If I can't conceal carry it in public (Fixed blades can't be concealed in CA), then I have no use for it as I'm not an avid camper or survival buff.

Dude are you joking........no pics?

Any way, (ima dork..) congrats on two fine knives!

OK, here are a few lazy cell phone pics
I never thought about it but I guess I'm lucky to be able to EDC fixed blades.
These new folders will be seeing plenty of carry time.

downsized_0216132031_zps148de3d8.jpg
[/IMG]
downsized_0216132030_zpsbfb5401d.jpg
[/IMG]

I had the same reaction upon getting my first Spyderco. I am now selling away all my other brands (good ones too, Benchmade, Emerson, Microtech, etc).

OK, here are a few lazy cell phone pics
I never thought about it but I guess I'm lucky to be able to EDC fixed blades.
These new folders will be seeing plenty of carry time.

downsized_0216132031_zps148de3d8.jpg
[/IMG]
downsized_0216132030_zpsbfb5401d.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for pics!

I'm probably wrong but the busse in the bottom pic is a pork shank right? It's sexy!

I'd own a couple busse's if I had enuff money.....cry..cry

Yep its a Pork Shank, sweet little knife. Just about the same length and cutting edge as the Military
By the way, I sold a Busse to buy these.

Last edited:
I have stopped buying folding blades this year yet still maintain the obsession with them, and the Military is the reason. I cannot see the necessity anymore in "searching for more". The grass stopped being greener when I found myself lusting for multiple variations of the same model, and the carbon fiber M390 Military sealed my deal.

Spyderco maintains, IMO, their market presence not based on hype or advertising or anything else, it's all word of mouth and pure function. The first time you EDC a Spyderco of any model and realize that the materials, steel, and fit and finish are beyond that of any other knife that comes off a production line (even given a wiiiide price range) you are hooked. The huge number of very knife savvy people that agree are a testament to this.

Everyone has a particular taste but I would be hard pressed to not find something in the Spyderco line up for every and anybody. If it works, it just plain works. I would emplore anybody bitten by the Spydeco bug to delve in further. It only gets better.

I have stopped buying folding blades this year yet still maintain the obsession with them, and the Military is the reason. I cannot see the necessity anymore in "searching for more". The grass stopped being greener when I found myself lusting for multiple variations of the same model, and the carbon fiber M390 Military sealed my deal.

Spyderco maintains, IMO, their market presence not based on hype or advertising or anything else, it's all word of mouth and pure function. The first time you EDC a Spyderco of any model and realize that the materials, steel, and fit and finish are beyond that of any other knife that comes off a production line (even given a wiiiide price range) you are hooked. The huge number of very knife savvy people that agree are a testament to this.

Everyone has a particular taste but I would be hard pressed to not find something in the Spyderco line up for every and anybody. If it works, it just plain works. I would emplore anybody bitten by the Spydeco bug to delve in further. It only gets better.

+1 to that!
Most of my knives are Spydies but it'd be nice if they offered a large folder like a few of Cold Steel's offerings (Espada XL and Ti-Lite). Then again, Cold Steel seems to be the only company doing that.

Nice Pork Shank. I'm with you on the Southard flipper, that's a great knife. Can't go with you on the Military, though. I found I much prefer the BM 710, but then I'm still not quite afflicted with Spydermania.

They're both very nice knives, I'm sure you're going to enjoy them.

Back