NPDOTD (Nephew Pat's deal of the day)

Bil, I hope it's OK to post this.

The Reason: My wife and I have a deal: The amount I have invested in knives and such has to stay near the same, so if I want something new, something old has to go. Well, I recently bought a Paul Chen katana on EBay, so I have to thin my collection by one.

The Knife: In my search for the perfect HI khuk (yeah, I know, they're all perfect!), I acquired a 20" chiruwa sirupati, made by Kesar. Never been used, just taken out of the scabbard and oogled at. The scabbard is the old style, engraved leather with the HI 100 year frog. This is a hard one to let go. I think Kesar really nailed it. Beautiful horn scales, fine balance, and a very nice engraving. Magic stone mirror finish with no rust. The Chakma is well finished, and the Karda is the nicest of all the ones I own. Hand filling grip, and the blade has a beautiful curve.

Here's a link to my initial impressions.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157957

The Deal: $110 and I pay the shipping. 15 bucks off a 10/10, just for me holding it for a few months - not a bad deal.

Payment: I have a paypal account, so if you can figure out how to send me money that way, we can do it that way. Otherwise, I'd prefer money order, and I'll ship as soon as I get the MO. Checks would have to wait til cleared (2 weeks). I'd consider a trade for a '58 Remington or Colt '62 police replica, too!

I posted about this knife a while back, but couldn't bring myself to let it go. To be fair to everyone, I'm starting over. Sign up at the bottom of the thread, first come first served.

Patrick

I'd like to pick up a sirupati in that length, and I'd like to pick up a Kesar, this could knock out two birds with one stone. ;)

Unfortunately, I have no money right now. :( Not only do I not have money, but I have to cut down on the work hours with semester starting. :( :( Well, atleast I only have another two semesters. :)

Alright, Bob. Thanks for looking, and I won't taunt you a second time. I can clearly remember being broke and in college. Best of luck.

Pat

Not a problem with the taunting, I've developed some level of control regarding my khukuri purchasing habits. :) The darkest days of my HIKV was back when Bella was around and we were just about racing one another. :) I acquired like 3 khukuris in less than a month. :)
Just rereading your post, I too know how it feels to ponder selling an HI khukuri. I have a 30" Kobra by Kumar that I bought from Rene, aka Deathdancer, that's never been used for anything, and God-willing will never be used for anything. Every practical fiber in my body says, "hey this thing's dead weight; sell it get more money for something else." Then the emotional part steps in and says, "It looks really, really cool and impresses everyone who sees it, and you'll never be able to replace it." Which hemisphere of the brain is right, I have no idea, but I haven't brought myself to sell the kobra yet. :)

BTW, which Katana did you get?

I got the PC Practical katana. A pretty basic blade, but the new Gen 4 ones are sturdily constructed and have gotten pretty good reviews. It should fit in well with my martial arts training. So far, I'm only considering a new handle wrap and maybe a bit of touch up work on the finish. Got it for less that $120 on EBay, minus the cleaning kit. Quite a deal, IMO.

Right now, I felt I needed a katana for my martial arts practice more than I needed a 2nd 20" khuk. I picked up a blem Kobra (KNN) a while back and that I like the feel of a bit better than the sirupati. It's just a bit lighter. Otherwise, I'd have kept them both.

If I can give you the benefit of my relatively few (37) years of acquiring stuff: If you really have to think about selling the 30" Kobra, you should probably hang on to it. As long as you maintain it and don't use it, it won't lose much value, and you'll never find another one exactly like it. On the flip side, if you really need the cash and you can't sell it, you have to ask yourself: do you own the khuk, or does the khuk own you?

Feeling just a bit philosophical tonight,
Pat

A man really is a slave to his posssessions. Khukris are a wonderful, yet horrible master. ;)

IMO the PK is an excellent value for $150, if you got it for $120 then that's great. I had one, but the plans to take iaido never panned out, and I chipped the blade in two places with an unfortunate accident involving the pommel to a reproduction European sword, then I tried to sand it out and made it really ugly. :) So, I ended up selling it for $50 to Bella.

I guess I should clarify the shipping. I'll pay shipping not to exceed $10, or free for the Continental US. Sorry guys, can't afford to spring for $50 shipping to Asia, Africa or Europe!
Pat

BTTT.
Photos today, if someone can post them for me. Otherwise, I'll have to email them to indivuduals.

Pat

Pat, just email me at rwillia@att.net
I should have some space left on my account. Try and get 'em here before 3:00 Eastern time, otherwise it won't be until about 6:00 when I get them up.
(I would have just said EST, but I'm now confused about whether we're in standard or daylight time) :)

Forgot, I can't upload unless I'm dialed in to at&t directly; stupid security set ups. So, it'll have to wait until 6:00 or till some other kind person decides to step up and post them for Pat.

Pat's Sirupati. Nice blade Pat.

Sirupati01.jpg

Sirupati02.jpg

Sirupati04.jpg

Sirupati05.jpg

Bob: Thanks for posting those pix for me.

Bill: I really like the gray streaking in the sirupati scales and on the karda. No offers so far, so I guess I'll leave it another day or so and see in anyone's interested.

Pat

Back