NY ABS Hammer-in report...

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Whew!

Is my head spinning! Just got in from the three-day weekend up here in NY for the Fall ABS Hammer-in. There was plenty of hammering going on, you can be sure, but that wasn't the half of it. there were so many notables sharing their knowledge and having such a damn good time, it was like a giant party! It just took this local opportnity for me to take advantage of this venue. I'm going back again soon!

Spent time with John Frankl. He is much fun to hang with and *very* talented. Other BF and CKD members were probably present. Speak up....

The seminars were plentiful and very well run, and the notables were present: Batson, Schwarzer, Fisk, Keeslar, Fogg, Hudson, Dellana, Barnett, Dean, Hendrickson, Stephan, Bell, Derringer, J.D. Smith, Szilaski, Davis. Lots of other area knifemakers were present, too. Unfortunately, Bill Moran was NOT there due to a cold or flu.

I swear I got to know each and every one of these folks on a first name basis. And every one of them was as helpful as would make anyone proud. This knifemaking bunch is a darn good family to be in with!!!!

I learned more than I can remember (glad I took notes!), and I forged a blade that needs grinding and HT and then finishing. This will make it as my first fixed blade probably!

There were a bunch of overlapping events, so I couldn't get to all, so I had to pick and choose:

Joe Keeslar on knife design, handles and guards. I knew very little about Joe, but I am sure glad to see him step up as the future pres of the ABS. He was an excellent teacher! Boy, did I learn from him...

Fancy knives design with Dellana and Van Barnett. This was like going to art school. These guys know their stuff! It's all in the 'flow'..... ;)

Carving handles and blades with Daniel Stephan and Donald Bell. Tools, ideas, and PATIENCE!!!

Flat grinding with Harvey Dean. He did an example forged knife from hard scale to heat treat ready and handle fitment in about a half hour! So what if he grinds one side edge down?! It came out PERFECT!!!

Fancy filework with J.D. Smith. It *appeared* easy with his doing it... ;)

Forging and knife design by Robbin Hudson. Still an understated but very respected maker, he just made our jaws drop with his knowledge and ability to teach so understandably. He demonstrated working a blade from a bar to a finished knife with a block of clay! Then he did it with a real slab and gave some great views on knife and handle design and, again, 'flow'. He rocks! I was thoroghly impressed.

Barry Davis gave us a 2-hour overvue on designing a fancy lockback folder. Even more to it than a liner lock. Wow!

Others were Schwarzer and Fogg on damascus, Fisk on blade design and geometry, Wire inlays with Jay Hendrickson, and others too.

Still more fun: The Cutting Contest. Hosted by Jerry Fisk, the 14 contestants had to cut through a 2x4 with a timer, cut through a 1" rope, cut vertically through a NEW can of soda (Sploosh!), cut through a hung t-shirt, and cut the tip of a straw off. Nobody got through the t-shirt or straw, but some got closer than others. 'Up and Comer' Dan Farr won the contest overall, and proceeded to wow us by cutting another 2x4 and going for the 90* bend 'performance' test for his upcoming Journeyman Smith grade. He passed easily! As did Lora Sue Bethke. (Interestingly, she whacked away 241 times at her second 2x4 before severing it. She needs a little more ooomph for a 105 lb woman! (But her knife and skills passed!)

On Saturday makers were invited to put up their knives for display or sale. for a 6-hour show as others did smaller demo's outside. I took advantage of one of Rob Hudson's 'Dragon's Head' knife/letter-opener, and snatched a Don Fogg japanese-styled cord-wrapped handle knife with an amazing temper line. His sheath as well. I can't believe how lucky I got to get this. His knives just aren't out there, and this was sinfully inexpensive. I got sidetracked and passed by a Fisk utility/tactical knife. Now I'm having non-buyer's remorse...! Everyone had a piece for sale! It was heaven for a collector! (BTW--I really like Christoff Derringer's work. He's a little kooky, but what talent! ;)

Lastly, they brought in Col. Tim Ryan to oversee the ABS auction of donated items. From handle supplies, to apprentice time with a Master, to knives, everything was sold. I bought some handle materials and a piece of Steve Schwarzer raw mosaic stock for bolsters. He made it there. Damn, that Tim Ryan was good! He had that auctioneers babble down pat! He had us all laughing and lively and happy to spend good money. He was a real pro. For example, one of the new makers donated a small hunter and the bidding stopped at $75 when the young and pretty girl who was part of the kitchen help and camp workers wanted it. Remember, we had been eating great food all this weekend. She was so smitten with the knifemakers she, too, wanted a knife of her own and was willing to pay for it. Everyone loved her. No one bid further because we all knew it would take it away from her. So Tim did a GREAT thing! He quickly suggested that the crowd all pitch in a few bucks each and that we would instead GIVE her the knife! The crowd went NUTS, and with everyone contributing $10-$25 each, he pulled in $205 for this little gift! It was such a great moment and turnaround. She was in tears as were a few others!!! Awww, shucks...!

Lastly, I set up my trusty cheapo light box and dual halogens and offered to take digital pics of folk's knives for a paltry $5.00 each donation to the ABS. I took about 10 paid shots that I'll chase to them via email and a little photoshop work, and I'll have gotten my own name out there and done a good thing as well. It's all good....

I'll post a link to them when I'm done.

So, finally, I offer you a peek at the weekend and only some of the highlights. Here's the link to the Hammer-in:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/DD596FA1C69CECD

Thanks for reading this far! Back to the daily grind...

Coop

Thanks for sharing. Looks and sounds like a great time was had by all.

Esp. like the story of the knife in the auction. Just shows me yet again what I've been realizing whole time I've been here, that the BF crowd in specific, and knifemaking community in general, is full of great people. Good, down to earth, great people.

Great pics too.

Man I wanted to go.In fact I even was going to ride up with Ken Durham.But the finance monster got in the way and I couldn't go..
Looks like everyone had a great time..Just for the record Laura Sue is already a JS smith and this should have been her Master Smith cut test..
Bruce

Thanks, Bruce, for the Laura clarification.

I bunked with Ken in a cabin, and he is a great man. He only brought along one little beauty--an ivory period bowie/dagger, and BOY was this beautiful. What a knifemaker! He asked for and got a critique on this blade from the top guys, and it had little that they could pick apart. He'll make MS soon enough!

Coop

Good job Coop. Glad you had a good time.

I was going to mention the thing about Lora Sue Bethke, but I see Bruce already cleared it up. One more thing I noticed was in the photo which is captioned, "Harvey Dean officiating the cutting contest and rules...", the fellow pictured is Jerry Fisk.

...Duhhhh!

Thanks, Terry!

BTW--if Jim Batson, Jerry Fisk, and Steve Schwarzer ever have problems making ends meet with knifemaking, they can ALL make a good living as stand-up comedians! :D :D :D

Coop

Coop,

Thanks for taking the time to post these great photos and explainations!

Sincerely,
Rob

Coop summed it up pretty well. 3 days of laughing, learning, and making friends. Instruction was well thoughtout and well presented. I can't say enough about the good will and good humor that seems to permeate the ABS.
Dan Farr
Coop, I got the straw, blew the can cut.

Coop,Yes Ken is a Helluva knife smith.I started going to gun shows with him and also my first knife show.Just so you know he is well known with all those big name guys as he is Jim Batsons apprentice with lots more coaching from Don Fogg and Alex Daniels.Ken is how I got to meet these guys and get there help also...
Man I wish I could have went.But you know how it goes..Can't go to a show or symposium unless you sell something extra but you can't sell anything extra without going to these places...Darn Gremlins in the shop all the time anyway..
Bruce

Coop, thanks for posting the pics. I wanted to go but too many irons needed to be in the fire down here. However; over the weekend I was quite petulant and cried myself to sleep because I was not there . Some lowlifes callin' me from the Hammer-In and giving me a hard time cause I was not there will require a pay-back. Looks like ya'll had fun and learning experience. mike

Thanks Coop for the great pics, and the comentary. I learned a great deal too. Not the least of which was that I should ask what a "cutting competition" consists of before entering wiht my 4" utility knife! Botched the rope, missed the straw, I'm not even going to mention the 2x4......but I did get the can!! (Much to my and everyone elses surprise.)
Still trying to assimilate all that info and still feeling warm and fuzzy about all the positive input and the way all those incredibally talented artists took the time to help folks like me get a clue about what we're doing.

To all of you who presented and helped put the hammer in together. THANK YOU!!!
Ed Wilson
Happycat Cutlery

Hey Dan!
Mace already filled everyone in on the NY Hammer-in! Congrats on the cutting...

C Wilkins

Ed, there's a certain pretty redhead that has a great 'Happy Cat' knife! That beauty fetched three times what it was stalled at, with her as high bidder, did you know that?? Good on ya!

Coop

I suggest that those who are interested should take a close look at the Hawk that Joe Szilaski forged, in the photo thread above, it is outstanding +. Through the years I have come to know Joe as an outstanding craftsman. He studied under real masters in Hungary, knows more that any man I know about forging theory and practice. He forges D2 and makes it sing. I bought a forged D2 folder from him in Calif. and will be working with it in the near future. His work is outstanding in all respects. Plus he and his bride Lori are a real credit to the world of knives. Naturally he works in other carbon steels.

Hey Coop, appreciate the kind words, but I think that blade might have been one of Mace's. I had planned on bringing some elk antlers, but forgot them. After looking at everyone elses stuff I was embarrassed to donate one of my knives. Wish I had now.
Next year I will have some better stuff to show, and to donate!
Ed
PS: Just got my new forge fired up and am working on assembling an anvil "stump" out of scrap wood I have lying around. Should be banging steel by noon!

Back