NY and CA laws

I know NY has under 4" blade limit. What about CA? (These are the 2 states I'm interested in at the moment). And what about fixed blades? What is legal for a fixed blade? I sometimes carry my REKAT hobbit fang or the Fallkniven WM1 on me - is this legal or not? The blades are smaller than on all the folders I own.
Also, I read in some other thread that knives that can be flicked open are illegal in CA - is this true? Does that mean liner, axis, or arc locks would be a no no here? I mean you can flick them all open pretty easily ... That would make me very sad :( I mean what could I carry then???

-Tim

Hi Tim.

CA has no limits on folder or fixed blade size, just that a fixed blade cannot be concealed. There are a couple of cities like SF, Oakland and Berkeley that have local ordinances limiting blade length to 3.5 or 4 inches, but these would be citations, not misdemeanors or felonies. Automatics are limited to 2 inches or less.

Hank

NY state does not have a 4" length limit, NYC does. In NY Penal Law there is NO mention of blade length whatsoever. The local ordinances are what is going to determine legal length.

Subject to some qualifications and exceptions, the rule in the City and County of Los Angeles is that the blade must be under 3 inches to be openly carried in a public place. Those are local ordinances.

California law allows thumbhole/stud openers but not gravity knives. Therefore, I wouldn't flick a folder open in public without using the thumbhole/stud. No sense inviting potential problems.

Back