1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Nyala, a little juiced up

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by TRfromMT, Jul 21, 2019.

1. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Not sure if the CRK faithful go in for this sort of thing. Anyway, had a little free time this afternoon, so whipped these up.

Cocobolo, from Panama (pre CITES treaty from the early 80's)

Enjoy.

20190721_164514~01.jpg
    20190721_164746~01.jpg 20190721_164616~01.jpg 20190721_164636~01.jpg 20190721_164650~01.jpg
    20190721_164546~01.jpg

2. gunspease

gunspease Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2002
    That looks great

TRfromMT likes this.
  3. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Really nice.

TRfromMT likes this.
  4. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Look great as usual :thumbsup:

TRfromMT likes this.
  5. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm gonna get me some play dough and work all night to make custom scales for my chopper ... crayons for color ... with lincoln logs for fasteners ... you just wait ... mine's gonna be purdy too ... o_O

and the faithful tube sock sheath ... I may add an athletic supporter for a drop sheath ... :p

6. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Looks like you did an awesome job.

I actually hate the Nyala’s stock scales. I find them terribly uncomfortable when you have to bear down hard on the knife.

TRfromMT likes this.
  7. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    That was my first thought when the knife arrived. The shadow-box tang also had me wondering. With smooth scales the balance point came out pretty well and the overall shape is really pleasant. The exposed tang is not noticable.

Original handles kind of remind me of the heavily ground "rock texture" you see on fixed blade handles. Looks like hanging onto, ...well, a rock, as a knife handle. That went out with the stone ages.

Lapedog likes this.
  8. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    Yes!!!! Haha! Thats great! Im about to put some ironwood scales on my nyala! Excellent job @TRfromMT

TRfromMT likes this.
  9. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    Nice!

I have carbon fiber scales on mine, the stock are not for me.

TRfromMT likes this.
  10. TC

TC

Dec 8, 1998
    Simply beautiful! Wish I had the talent/equipment to make something like that. Perhaps I'll have a go at it for a project (and then turn it over to a pro for finishing...LOL).

I agree with the above opinions that the factory handle is not as comfortable as it could or should be. A case of "l'art pour l'art" - doggedly sticking with the African game theme?

I have three Nyalas (one regular early without the Idaho Made marking - interestingly, the machining on that is actually detailed on the bevel surfaces , like elevation lines on a topographical map, where the later ones are just flat -, one later with the marking, and one later Insingo - all picked up at auctions for a good price).

Which brings me to my questions: What's the best way to remove the stock handle slabs? There's some adhesive in addition to the screws, right? Also, did you try or consider to have the slabs fully cover the tang, i.e. do away with the exposed tang? It would add some volume to the rather slim handle profile and would look even better, IMHO (why stick with factory idiosyncrasy?).

11. RyanRaben

RyanRaben Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Did you make these or have them made? I love them.

12. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    I made them.

@TC a very thin edge scraper worked under the front edge to pry them off. These ones had been taken off once before I got them. All I did was pop them off because of a little remaining residue.

13. TC

TC

Dec 8, 1998
    Thanks, TRfromMT!

TRfromMT likes this.
  14. RyanRaben

RyanRaben Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Did you make them on a CNC router or by hand? I really dig them. You did a great job. I have a CNC router and have thought about making some Nyala scales for my personal knife but haven't tried it yet.

15. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    I get asked quite often if I use a CNC router. Truth is, I make all my scales 100% with a drill press and a belt sander I have set up on a bench top, by hand. The only precision instrument I us is a set of calipers to make sure they are the same thickness as the original ones and it is all by eye and by hand. No CNC. No router/duplicator.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  16. DBH

DBH

Aug 3, 2001
    TRfromMT likes this.