Recommendation? Nyala or Professional Soldier

I have to go TDY out east for a couple months and I'm pondering leaving the folders at home and just taking a fixed blade, because I'm not exactly sure how austere it's going to be. I'm pretty sure I want to take a Nyala but I'm open to hearing any arguments for the Professional Soldier. So PS or Nyala as a daily carry fixed blade.

Last edited:
I'd take the one with proper scales, TBH :D I hate those skeletonised tang hilts

I don't know what you'll be doing out there.

Do you want to carry those Chriss Reeve knives out there? I dunno. If it's dodge, I carry just about ok stuff. If I loose it, I don't fret.

I have both. I think of the Nyala as my fixed blade (Regular) Sebenza (the blade shape...). The PS is a three finger knife, even to my not overly large hands. I have no use for it, really. If I ever sell a knife, that'll be the first to go. The micarta handles on the Nyala came with very sharp ridges, quite uncomfortable, so I ground those down a bit. It's bulkier with the (very nicely made, BTW) sheath than the PS, of course, but I can still carry it in my front pocket. Well, just barely, but it works. If the extra cost doesn't bother you, definitely go with the Nyala. It's a real knife vs. the PS "toy" (and I know I'll catch some flack for that comment).

OK, I just ordered the an Insingo Nyala.

I didn't realize the PS was a 3 finger knife.

Last edited:
Is PS really a 3-fingered knife? Not trying to start a scuffle; just interested in this comparison.

Nyala is a beaut in my opinion but I'm curious about PS as there are a few available at a local retailer...

I have a couple of PSs with custom scales. They are alright but not that great IMHO. It’s difficult to get a comfortable grip and that little bump in front of the thumb jimping is just terrible. I might have someone grind off the bump on the drop point; I think I’d like it a lot more. Without the scales I would want nothing to do with them at all.

I wanted a Nyala until I handled one. It just didn’t do anything for me.

i.ashx

My Hinderer Flashpoint spearpoint & FXM Spanto are my favorite and most carried fixed blades. They both have great ergonomics.
i.ashx

I love my pro soldier, but I wear it as a concealed knife every day. It is just small enough for that, but larger than a neck knife.

If I could open carry a fixed knife at work, it would be a bigger knife, that is for sure.

I have a couple of PSs with custom scales. They are alright but not that great IMHO. It’s difficult to get a comfortable grip and that little bump in front of the thumb jimping is just terrible. I might have someone grind off the bump on the drop point; I think I’d like it a lot more. Without the scales I would want nothing to do with them at all.

I wanted a Nyala until I handled one. It just didn’t do anything for me.

i.ashx

My Hinderer Flashpoint spearpoint & FXM Spanto are my favorite and most carried fixed blades. They both have great ergonomics.
i.ashx
I rescaled my Nyala since the factory ones aren't all that great for those without gloves.

Back