NYC Museum of Natural History Question

I wouldn't think they would allow your EDC considering the events of 9/11. Not sure if they use detectors.

I visited that museum many, many times as a kid, it's a neat place .But today someone like you might hijack the museum with a pocket knife !!! Sad world.

I used to live around the corner, I've been in there hundreds of times, and always had a knife on me. But, I haven't been in there since 9/11, so I have no idea what their policy is. :confused:

Why not give them a call and ask?

Yes, it's best to call ahead. The last time I went, I had to open my backpack so the guard could check for anything large and suspicious, but there were no metal detectors.

We all know this sort of thing can change from day to day :rolleyes:

I use to practically live in that place; and remember once chasing Jack Klugman around the old T-rex exhibit many (many) years ago. I don't know what it is like today; but there use to be quite a few edged weapons on display under the various primitive cultures. Their own displays implied that we would not have made it without them.

n2s
p.s. say hello to the T-rex for me. :D

In Washington DC about a month ago, I went into the Air and Space Museum and they were running everybody through a metal detector.

When it was my turn, I emptied out my pockets and the guard looked semi-suspiciouly at the Gerber Paul 2 I had anded her. She opened it, closed it, handed it back and let me through.

I think I would have been turned away if my knife weren't so "cute"

Originally posted by ExMachina

When it was my turn, I emptied out my pockets and the guard looked semi-suspiciouly at the Gerber Paul 2 I had anded her. She opened it, closed it, handed it back and let me through.

I think I would have been turned away if my knife weren't so "cute"

First of all I'm surprised she knew how to open and close it. I think the way the Gerber Paul opens and closes is very unique, and people usually have to be shown.

But you are correct it is "cute".

First of all I'm surprised she knew how to open and close it. I think the way the Gerber Paul opens and closes is very unique, and people usually have to be shown.

Surprised me a bit too.

Not only does the Paul look innocuous, it's got a kind of Chinese box thing going where, when you finally figure out HOW to open it, you’ve forgotten WHY you wanted it open :D

I'm guessing she had seen one before

I ditched all my knives when I was in DC...being touristy, I was going through metal detectors a few times a day. I did have three knives on me when I was in NYC in '02, didn't get in much trouble there ('cept for the Liberty Island Ferry....I'm sure some of you remember that thread). That got me down to one EDC. I hate to say it, but you should go naked (knifeless), 'cuz they'll probably go nutso if you carry. :rolleyes: :(

Ash

I visit the 'main' City and County of Denver building from time to time and thay have metal detectors there. The official policy is that I can bring in a legal size under 3.5 inch pocket knife, no problemo. Though I have a CCW, I cannot bring my pistol into the building.

Jerry S.

I can now answer my own question.
There were NO metal detectors.
The guards were looking for bombs, not small knives.
I brought in a Ladybug (it is in my small first aid kit) as my only cutting tool.

Back