NYS FIXED BLADE CARRY LAWS-NOT NYC

I always notice that when anyone asks about NYS carry laws for knives they always get the NYC treatment...which is nothing longer than 4 inches, which I think is as clear as it can be. NYS is not NYC so outside of NYC throughout the rest of the state what can you carry on your person for a fixed blade or even a folder...I know Rochester, NY for example you cant carry a folder longer than 3 inches, but the city of Rochester is a very small area in comparison to Monroe county which comprises many towns and districts, all of which I assume are not subject to the 3-inch law. You can for example buy a duct knife at Home Depot with an 8-inch long blade no questions asked throughout the city. Assuming your a peaceful no harm intent person, what is the deal with this, can you for example carry a 5.5 fixed blade ka-bar or something without any trouble not for defense but just for working purposes?

I don’t know much about the standards for fixed blades in New York. As you said, the 4 inch blade limit is a NYC law, so that’s not relevant to this question. The prohibited knives in the state include autos, knuckle knives, sword canes, ballistic knives, and that recently passed law which restricts certain undetectable knives designed for use as a weapon. Of course, you have a fishing/hunting/fur trapping license exception for autos, but the only time you can carry them is when you’re actively engaged in one of those designated activities. I would think fixed blades like you’re asking about could be used in outdoor activities like hunting and camping. Granted, you need to be aware of the local laws of the areas through which you’re transporting the knife. I would make sure the knife is kept somewhere secured with your equipment.

Back