oakley sunglasses

Im thinking of buying some sunglasses and was wondering what the differnce was between the polarised ones the iridium ones and the normal ones apart from price?
Thanks

I don't know if you're familiar with what polarizing does, but I debated getting polarized Oakleys for a long time before deciding that I didn't need them unless I was fishing.

A polarizing filter allows only light waves that are in one orientation to pass through. As an example, if you were to look at a flashlight or laser directly into your eye, the light waves are oriented in all different degrees around the axis of the light beam. A polarizing filter will take out all the waves except for, say, the ones that move in the 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock (as you look down the beam).

How this translates to real life is that light waves from the sun are oriented in random directions. Also, as the light is reflected off of surfaces, the orientation can be changed. The polarized lens filters out all or most of the light that is not oriented in one particular direction.

When you look through a polarized lens into a lake on a sunny day, the reflections will be reduced, so you can see farther into the water. Oakley's polarized lenses are slightly lighter in shade than their black iridium lens but are still pretty dark. The regular grey (no iridium coating) is much lighter than the black iridium because the iridium reflects more light away from the lens. I get good contrast from the black iridium lenses, so I don't bother paying more for the polarized ones. If I felt that my sunglasses were more of a priority (and I have 3 pairs of Oakleys including 3 different lenses for the M-Frames), then I would be buying the polarized ones just in case I come across the situation where I would need them.

The iridium lenses do scratch more easily than the regular lenses, so a little care needs to be taken to avoid doing that. The scratches show much more on the iridium too.

gm

If it helps,

Almost 100% of the guys out here at 1st Special Forces Group wear Oakleys. That's every day and during missions, for the excellent durability and optical performance.

Dan

------------------
Go Get 'em Gear

Mr Panini - which model of Oakleys are you considering? From your question on lens type, I would assume M-Frames, as these are the only type (AFAIK) with a wide selection of lenses.

gadgetman described the differences quite well, and I'll summarize and add my own opinions.

<ul>
[*]Polarized lenses take light in only one orientation. They have a selective darkening effect in addition to their tint. In effect, they cut glare from reflections off wet roads, lakes while fishing, and patches of ice on ski slopes. I've read that it's not such a bad thing to be able to see ice to avoid it.
[*]Iridium coated lenses reflect a great deal of light. They work really well with high intensity sunlight, but can get annoyingly dark with what would seem to be plenty of light. They look cool, but the coating scratches more easily.
[*]Plain lenses work mostly by absorbing light. These lenses work in the somewhat-bright down to not-enough-light (clear lens) range.
[/list]

Oakley Pro M-Frames are excellent athletic sunglasses, with good comfort, weight, and retention. The lens interchangeability definitely adds to their usefulness.

They do for my a-wires. I may get some eventually. Right now, I don't really neeeed then that much.

I scratched an iridium lens. It was very obvious so I got a new lens. They came as a pair so I've got a spare (the Law of the Sod states that I'll never stratch the one I've got the spare for, but always the other one...
biggrin.gif
)

Al

K Williams - Yes. Go to <a href="http://www.oakley.com/">Oakley's site</a>, then Eyewear, Prescription.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flatscan:
K Williams - Yes. Go to <a href="http://www.oakley.com/">Oakley's site</a>, then Eyewear, Prescription.</font>

Thanks!

Back