Observations on Blade Show now that it’s over

Terry M.

Platinum Member
From a newbie perspective (add as you like):

Everyone in this community is a gem. Truly good people, nice, polite, everything you’d expect from meeting a “family” from makers, ‘smiths, and collectors alike.

Shirogorovs and Sinkevich Knives are no joke. Auction prices were in the 15k range and maybe higher. They are quite possibly worth it. High, high fit and finish and quality. I’m glad I own a few.

In that same breath , the crowd that Shiro commanded for his drawings, just for the privilege of spending $2000 on a knife, is insane. Other vendors were getting all pissed off because of the crowd blocking the whole aisle and overflow. Yes, I was there hoping against hope that I’d win that privilege.

The sheer amount of knives to look at is astounding. Truly the Mecca for the knife world and all its disciples. Not to mention the feeling of being overwhelmed and having no idea where to start. And then I was told there was another room!

The amount of large (and I mean LARGE), beefy folders is quite impressive. Midgards Messer and other border on ridiculous but I bought one anyway. :D

Seeing what designers, master smiths and even journeymen are coming up with and even more impressive forging is quite the spectacle. We’re talking serious artwork here.

The amount of business cards I got and FB pages and Instagrams I’m now going to have to follow is just stupid. But in the famous words of AeroSmith “I don’t wanna miss a thing”

There may be a serious distaste on this forum for Mick Strider but let me tell you what….. I’ve never seen people run to get to a booth and throw their money over a counter like I did Strider’s booth. He was sold out in mere minutes. Somebody must like his work.

I’ve read stories on here about Andre De Villiers and Greg Medford not being very nice people but they were nothing but accommodating to me and my son. Took pictures, signed my knife box, etc. Good guys and im glad I purchased from them both.

Papa John’s and Chick-Fil-a need to make deliveries a lot more frequently than they were.

Organization of the event was suspect to start Friday out. The signs that pointed to which line to stand in obviously didn’t work on someone as dumb as me, thank God my son was there to point his old man in the right direction.

I have to pee a lot.

Nice summary! We forget sometimes that this forum isn't the be all and end all of the knife universe. Although a lot of folks here think that strider or bark River are anathemas there are plenty of venues where they are not. People still buy from survive knives also, so your mileage may vary. Agree with you on the people thing. There are too many knives to really comprehend. It is getting to talk to the people that counts.

From a newbie perspective (add as you like):

Everyone in this community is a gem. Truly good people, nice, polite, everything you’d expect from meeting a “family” from makers, ‘smiths, and collectors alike.

Shirogorovs and Sinkevich Knives are no joke. Auction prices were in the 15k range and maybe higher. They are quite possibly worth it. High, high fit and finish and quality. I’m glad I own a few.

In that same breath , the crowd that Shiro commanded for his drawings, just for the privilege of spending $2000 on a knife, is insane. Other vendors were getting all pissed off because of the crowd blocking the whole aisle and overflow. Yes, I was there hoping against hope that I’d win that privilege.

The sheer amount of knives to look at is astounding. Truly the Mecca for the knife world and all its disciples. Not to mention the feeling of being overwhelmed and having no idea where to start. And then I was told there was another room!

The amount of large (and I mean LARGE), beefy folders is quite impressive. Midgards Messer and other border on ridiculous but I bought one anyway. :D

Seeing what designers, master smiths and even journeymen are coming up with and even more impressive forging is quite the spectacle. We’re talking serious artwork here.

The amount of business cards I got and FB pages and Instagrams I’m now going to have to follow is just stupid. But in the famous words of AeroSmith “I don’t wanna miss a thing”

There may be a serious distaste on this forum for Mick Strider but let me tell you what….. I’ve never seen people run to get to a booth and throw their money over a counter like I did Strider’s booth. He was sold out in mere minutes. Somebody must like his work.

I’ve read stories on here about Andre De Villiers and Greg Medford not being very nice people but they were nothing but accommodating to me and my son. Took pictures, signed my knife box, etc. Good guys and im glad I purchased from them both.

Papa John’s and Chick-Fil-a need to make deliveries a lot more frequently than they were.

Organization of the event was suspect to start Friday out. The signs that pointed to which line to stand in obviously didn’t work on someone as dumb as me, thank God my son was there to point his old man in the right direction.

I have to pee a lot.
This is perfection overall as a summary!!!! Except I didn’t have any interaction with ADV. Medford was really cool last year.

I watched an older man write a check for $28,000 for a small fixed blade, that was unexpected and shocking.

Got to meet a handful of master smiths extremely welcoming and most were more than happy talk/teach.

Whatever you plan on spending, double or triple it!!!

You can geek out with almost anyone bc we are all knife nuts.

Met and spoke with each of these for 5-10 minutes each and it didn’t feel rushed or forced, genuinely great dudes that love their work and appreciate the support; Bill Koenig, Todd Begg, Tim Reeves, Thys Meades, Andrew Demko, Ramon Chaves, Jared Oeser, Jason Knight, etc!!!!! So cool!!!

Trying to figure out how many knives I need to sell to buy the most unbelievable subhilt I’ve ever seen, maker wants $8,900.

Bought my first pen from Tactile Turn company out of Texas for $90. Incredible group of guys, incredible 100% USA made products.

Got crop dusted a lot, so bad one time I literally gagged, twice!!

I too was surprised at the sheer insanity of Strider demand.

Get the early bird pass, it’s worth it. Got it last year and dropped the ball this year, I missed out on many.

Spend 3 days looking at as much as possible a total of 23 actual hours walking table to table and still didn’t see everything there.

This is perfection overall as a summary!!!! Except I didn’t have any interaction with ADV. Medford was really cool last year.

I watched an older man write a check for $28,000 for a small fixed blade, that was unexpected and shocking.

Got to meet a handful of master smiths extremely welcoming and most were more than happy talk/teach.

Whatever you plan on spending, double or triple it!!!

You can geek out with almost anyone bc we are all knife nuts.

Met and spoke with each of these for 5-10 minutes each and it didn’t feel rushed or forced, genuinely great dudes that love their work and appreciate the support; Bill Koenig, Todd Begg, Tim Reeves, Thys Meades, Andrew Demko, Ramon Chaves, Jared Oeser, Jason Knight, etc!!!!! So cool!!!

Trying to figure out how many knives I need to sell to buy the most unbelievable subhilt I’ve ever seen, maker wants $8,900.

Bought my first pen from Tactile Turn company out of Texas for $90. Incredible group of guys, incredible 100% USA made products.

Got crop dusted a lot, so bad one time I literally gagged, twice!!

I too was surprised at the sheer insanity of Strider demand.

Get the early bird pass, it’s worth it. Got it last year and dropped the ball this year, I missed out on many.

Spend 3 days looking at as much as possible a total of 23 actual hours walking table to table and still didn’t see everything there.
Holy heck! Who was the maker on that fixed blade? I did see some things that were kind of crazy on the prices or at least I thought so. Don't get me wrong a famous maker asking a pile of money is one kind of crazy. Some that I saw were first time exhibitors asking thousands of dollars. Maybe they even got it but I'm guessing they went home disappointed.

Holy heck! Who was the maker on that fixed blade? I did see some things that were kind of crazy on the prices or at least I thought so. Don't get me wrong a famous maker asking a pile of money is one kind of crazy. Some that I saw were first time exhibitors asking thousands of dollars. Maybe they even got it but I'm guessing they went home disappointed.
Don’t know the maker, there wasn’t a good opportunity to start asking questions. I did talk with several other custom makers that already sold their custom fixed blades for $3,000-$20,000.

I had such a great time at Blade. I definitely didn't see EVERYTHING but I did manage to see an awful lot. Didn't help that my voice was completely shot so I felt so rude coming up to tables and not speaking.

My spouse and I have been meaning to go for years now, but this was our first time. I think it's going to become another family tradition 😁

Thanks Terry M. Terry M. for your views. I enjoyed your clear read. Good for YOU!

To buttress your awareness of the magnitude: I set up outside the main show hall in a boardoom. Arrived Thursday 1pm, left Sunday 5 pm. I worked 42 hours in that time period and NEVER, EVER, set foot in the show hall.

I could not leave my studio. My son ran all over the venue doing the pickup/delivery thing for us.

The Show comes to ME. As is does.

The thing I miss is what you enjoyed: The interaction with people. I chatted with some, but not all who swung by.

I mutter "I can't go outside", because each time I do I get involved in a small cool conversation, and then I'm behind. Again. Sigh.

Yet every year I return. A glimmer of conversation is better than none!

If you are on Instagram or FB follow my feed. You'll see.

Good thread. Thx.

Coop

Back