Off Topic Question

Hey all, I need your help. I am making ink pens for some family members' Christmas Presents. I have made two out of copper and NS mokume. I am now going to go to a different style pen, like this one:

gentlemanspen.jpg

I have stayed away from using my damascus because of corrosion issues, but on this style pen, the users hand wouldn't really be holding onto the damascus.

Do you think it would be ok and durable to use damascus and then clear coat it? Oh yeah, the damascus would be used where the wood is supposed to be. Or should I stick with mokume?

Thanks for your help.

You clear coat the rest of the pen? I think it would be just fine.... Do you put something in the clear coat that tastes bad so isn't put into the mouth?

BTW if your taking the pictures of your pens your doing an excellent job...

Hey Sean,

Looking forward to seeing the Damascus Pens!!! Those Mokume ones were beautiful, btw. I've been making pens for a little while now, although it's really my wife's hobby...a way for the two of us to work in the shop together...but I've not tried any Mokume or Damascus...you're inspiring me to try some pretty soon! :)

Were you at Ron's hammer-in? How did we not get a chance to meet one another there?

-Darren

Ray- I wish those were my pictures. A light box is on my list, but way towards the bottom. I "stole" that pic from where I ordered the kits.

Darren- Unfortunately my soon to be wife doesn't seem to want to be in the shop. She just likes to nag me about how much time i spend there.:rolleyes: I think I will try the damascus. It is just easier for me to work with steel than copper, plus I can make much nicer patterns with damascus than Mokume.

Yup, I was at Ron's. I rolled in at about 11:00am Saturday morning and left about 5:00pm. I took the wifey down to Alabama to visit, so I ran over to Tennesse for the day. Next year I plan on spending the weekend.

So know I know what you're getting me for Christmas. :D

Originally posted by Laredo7mm
Darren- Unfortunately my soon to be wife doesn't seem to want to be in the shop. She just likes to nag me about how much time i spend there.:rolleyes:

Sean, ask her if she has any interest in making pens! If so, get her a mini wood lathe and some kits. My wife has never been the type to do craft type work, but I got her a grizzly mini wood lathe and she has really taken to it! Something about spinning wood and flying wood chips she finds mesmerizing I guess...good for me since we can spend time together in the shop. :)

Yup, I was at Ron's. I rolled in at about 11:00am Saturday morning and left about 5:00pm. I took the wifey down to Alabama to visit, so I ran over to Tennesse for the day. Next year I plan on spending the weekend.

Well, I don't know how we could have missed each other! I looked for you at the Blade show this year (Well, actually have no idea what you look like, but figured if I could find your beautiful fiancée I'd find you too). Anyway, look forward to meeting you next time we're at the same place. :) You coming up this way for Harley's hammer-in in the Spring?

-Darren

What do I look like, hmmmm. Well, people call me Elwood cause I look like Dan Akroid.:D I usually have on a Carolina's Panthers baseball cap. I think I was wearing a burgundy colored t-shirt that day.;)

I am not sure if I will be at Harley's or not. I want to go to the Batson Bladesmithing Symposium in ALabama. I think that is in April. I am also going to goto the Blade Show and back to Ron's. My poor 3 month old truck already has 10,500 miles on it.:( Heck, by the time I get her paid off it will be junk. ;)

I've made several pens and pencils from my copper and nickel-silver mokume. I also find it a pain to work with. Usualy boring the hole is what I have trouble with. I also made several of those screw-together deals they say you can put toothpicks in. I made them from some twisted nickel and 1095 damascus. I polished them to 2000 grit and then hot blued. They look awesome.

My next project will be some pens out of some twisted stainless damascus.

Back