Bolster Material

• Nickel Silver

Votes: 280 88.3%
  • Brass

Votes: 37 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You are in Poll 3/8: Bolster Material

Welcome to the polls for the 2018 Blade Forums Traditional Knife Build. The platform that we will be building this year is the Buck Knives 301 Stockman. This is the first time Buck has been chosen for this project and I'm excited for this process to start!

Once the final knife is chosen, we'll get into logistics for pre-orders, shipping, etc.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed, voted, moderated and participated! Thanks to Mike @knifeswapper as well for stepping into the ring. Without him, we would all still be in discussion limbo! I hope we can build something really special here.

We had an intense lunch meeting to figure out the best way to run the polls. I think these groupings of polls will work great in the order we have them set out.

Be sure to keep the groupings in mind as you vote. The groupings are set up to build on each other each round, and should not conflict with each other. What I mean is that options can be chosen simultaneously within a grouping and then set the foundation for the next grouping. Obviously, you want to know the bolster material before you choose scales/handles, but choosing the steel and the bolster material at the same time will not change the look of the knife, and can therefore be grouped.

PLEASE be sure to read the poll choices carefully as each choice can be packed with many options. You'll notice that especially in Poll 1/8.

Keep in mind the Dot Tang Stamp tradition for this knife when choosing the Steel.

I'm going to run 8 total polls grouped into 3 separate rounds each running from Tuesday to Monday for the next 3 weeks:

Round 1 (week 1):

Poll 1/8: 2 Blades vs 3 Blades 301 - Blade Types LINK HERE
Poll 2/8: Blade Steel LINK HERE
Poll 3/8: Bolsters

Round 2 (week 2):

Poll 4/8: Blade Grinds
Poll 5/8: Handle Materials
Poll 6/8: Long Pull vs Nail Nick

Round 3 (week 3):

Poll 7/8: Stamp
Poll 8/8: Medallion vs No Medallion

* I think it's fair to ask that if you have no interest in ordering a knife, please do not vote, but please do participate in the discussions!

Last edited:
I almost voted Brass, mostly because I wanted to antagonize Will Power Will Power a bit. :D

Honestly, I think brass is a classic look for Buck knives and I do not have the aversion to it that others do. However, nickel silver is far more popular and can be paired with a greater variety of covers. So it gets my vote.

You toying with joining the verdigris club then Pàdruig Pàdruig ? Well you could argue it's part of a trendy greening the planet...:D I've got many Stag & light colour knives that now show green....:thumbsdown:

I know it will not be chosen, but I voted BRASS because the standard 301 bolsters are NS.

Truth be told, I'll be happy with either.

Nickel Silver. Easiest choice so far.

I would have voted copper depending on cost and handle material. Just a pipe dream.

Nickel Silver. Easiest choice so far.

Agreed. I didn't even need to pause to think about it. Alongside stainless, NS is easily my favorite bolster material. It develops the perfect amount of character over time.

I voted for Brass (to be different), but NS is fine.

You toying with joining the verdigris club then Pàdruig Pàdruig ? Well you could argue it's part of a trendy greening the planet...:D I've got many Stag & light colour knives that now show green....:thumbsdown:
I've got some green-lipped pearl knives that didn't start out that way. :(

Nickel silver is brassy enough for me. If we had an iron bolster option, I'd vote for that. :)

I personally prefer brass, but I think going that route would cause some here to jump ship. Nobody is going to not buy a knife because of nickel silver bolsters, so I voted thusly.

I like Brass but NS will work no matter what covers are chosen/offered and I am used to Brass on Buck knives so NS also is kinda a change for me on a Buck.

I'd vote stainless, but since that's not on the table I'd be in for nickel silver.
However if brass gets chosen I wouldn't be opposed ;)

Back