Official 2018 BF Knife: Poll 5/8: Handle Materials

Choose Handle Material Grouping (comment color/type)

• Group 1: Micarta, G10 | $

Votes: 53 17.7%
  • Group 2: Delrin, Paperstone | $

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Group 3: Diamondwood | $

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Group 4: Carbon Fiber | $$

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Group 5: Buffalo, Elk | $$

Votes: 59 19.7%
  • Group 6: Stag, Ram Horn | $$

Votes: 44 14.7%
  • Group 7: Snakewood, KOA | $$

Votes: 26 8.7%
  • Group 8: Burl, Ironwood | $$

Votes: 89 29.8%
  • Group 9: Shell, Mother of Pearl | $$$

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Group 10: Jigged Bone | $$

Votes: 11 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are in Poll 5/8: Handle Materials

IMPORTANT FOR MATERIALS: This poll is tricky because the choices are so vast. We are going to start with groupings and then narrow down later. For example, if the G10, Micarta grouping wins, then we will do voting for color or type in the next round. Please list your color/type preferences where applicable; Burl, Diamondwood, Carbon Fiber etc.

I am unable to get specific pricing for so many options, so we have ballparks. Please don't ask me what the dollar amount is, because I don't have access to all that yet. We need to narrow it down. So vote for your preference!! We've saved some money going with 2 blades, so vote freely. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:eek::eek:BE VOCAL ABOUT YOUR CHOICE. IF YOU CHOOSE A GROUPING, SAY THE EXACT STYLE YOU WISH TO SEE.

Welcome to ROUND 2 of the polls for the 2018 Blade Forums Traditional Knife Build. So far you all have built a 2 Bladed Buck 301, Clip and Sheepsfoot on opposite ends of the knife. See photo below for example. Your blade steel is CPM-154 with a tang stamp and the bolsters are NICKEL SILVER.

If you are unfamiliar with what has happened thus far, please visits the links below to see what happened in Round 1 of voting.

Resized_20180514_103004_2339.jpeg

Here we begin Round 2.

Once the final knife is chosen, we'll get into logistics for pre-orders, shipping, etc.

Be sure to keep the groupings in mind as you vote. The groupings are set up to build on each other each round, and should not conflict with each other. What I mean is that options can be chosen simultaneously within a grouping and then set the foundation for the next grouping. Obviously, you want to know the bolster material before you choose scales/handles, but choosing the steel and the bolster material at the same time will not change the look of the knife, and can therefore be grouped.

PLEASE be sure to read the poll choices carefully as each choice can be packed with many options. You'll notice that especially in Poll 5/8.

I'm going to run 8 total polls grouped into 3 separate rounds each running from Tuesday to Monday for the next 3 weeks:

Round 1 (week 1):

Poll 1/8: 2 Blades vs 3 Blades 301 - LINK HERE
Poll 2/8: Blade Steel LINK HERE
Poll 3/8: Bolsters LINK HERE

Round 2 (week 2):

Poll 4/8: Blade Grinds -
LINK HERE
Poll 5/8: Handle Materials
Poll 6/8: Long Pull vs Nail Nick
- LINK HERE

Round 3 (week 3):

Poll 7/8: Stamp
Poll 8/8: Medallion & Pins
THE FINAL SAY Poll 9/8: Final choice of specific handle material

* I think it's fair to ask that if you have no interest in ordering a knife, please do not vote, but please do participate in the discussions!

Last edited:
I assume that falls under the Micarta option.

This is so much fun! I'm gonna need to chew on these cover options for awhile before I vote. Many of them appeal to me.
Yeah, I was confused about that, I don't want to vote for Burlap Micarta just to end up with G10! :(

I've reread the OP and now understand. Though I don't know why the further choice would have to be a 'bonus' vote, it would seem specifically necessary?

Yeah, I was confused about that, I don't want to vote for Burlap Micarta just to end up with G10! :(
That's what the comments are for. We will glean your responses from the comments. So if you vote for Micarta/G10, just say, I want burlap! That will help with the next round.

My vote is in for micarta, preferably something textured like canvas or burlap as opposed to something smooth and plasticky like paper or linen.

Unfortunately, I'm too picky about the texture of antler/horn and pattern of wood grain to buy those materials sight unseen.

While I do love elk, and would not be deterred by that option, I went with burl/ironwood...giving a slight edge to buckeye over ironwood. While not a burl, Osage Orange is another solid option that I'd like to see considered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back